Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...long time listener, first time caller.

:mad:
I got up this morning and drove the 2.5 hours to Whittakers to get one of two remaining .22lr Predators they had in stock- I had called Thursday and put it on lay-away. (they had 1 each caliber left on the rack this morning).

I met a fellow along the way to sell my Savage FV-SR to fund this purchase. Cash in hand, away I go...

I get to the store- clerk gets the box from the back. I took it out of the plastic to inspect it there. The barrel had some kind of white filmy stuff all over it-?? The clerk got a rag for me and the film wiped away.
I looked it over, didn't see any obvious flaws like the bad blueing jobs that have been reported; put the bolt in it and worked the action. The bolt has a little slop in it, and some grittiness, but it's brand new...

I get it home, hose it out with Break Free CLP, run a couple patches down the bore, which was filthy, and run a rag through the bolt tunnel where there was obvious crud.

I oil it up, work the bolt and fire a few times with a snap-cap, The bolt is still pretty gritty, and way looser than the Savage. I get my BSA Sweet .22 scope that I took off of the Savage and prepare to mount it on the Ruger. I wipe the mount down again, and I look down the sight-line. :eek:

What the heck?! It looks like the scope mount base is canted to the right! It can't be! NOOOOOO!! I shift it to the left, back to the right...up, down...maybe it's just the angle I'm looking at it...nope, I put a laser down the line of the rear of the bolt- yep- base is off to the right.
I ask my wife to look at it. She says 'it looks like it turned this way' (motions with her flat hand, tilting to the right.

CRAP!

but wait- I then start comparing the base top to other horizontal lines on the rear, like the top of the safety. Then it dawns on me that maybe the scope base isn't canted to the right after all, but THE ENTIRE RECEIVER HAS BEEN MOUNTED IN THE STOCK CROOKED!!! As if the receiver was 'turned' a few degrees to the right when it was put in the stock. To 'backwards-think' it, if I turn the rifle in my hands until the base is exactly horizontal, the rear of the stock is obviously tilted on an angle.

I went ahead and mounted the scope that I had on the Savage just to see- yep, the crosshairs, which were absolutely straight on the Savage, are tilted.

Here are the best pictures I could get; what do you think? (I put the bipod on just to hold it for photos, so it isn't the bipod sitting crooked)

So what now? Contact Ruger? Ignor it? Only shoot it with my head tilted?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Kokopelli.

Welcome to the forum. I would take it to the range and put some ammo through it just to make sure that there are no other problems. I am glad that I did with my GP-100. I wound up with a total of three things that needed fixing, Better to have everything fixed in one trip home to the mother ship than having to make multiple trips.

Bob

·
Banned
650 Posts
The scope base doesn't look canted to me. The base is lined up with the mini blinds in the picture. Have you actually mounted a scope on the rifle?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Howdy,
Casual observation, receiver appears straight, You could put .005 or so shim under the right side until the mount is straight.. This happens now and then while mounting a tang sight.. Use feeler gage strips until it's straight, then trim them so they don't stick out..
Just a thought..

Good luck..

Paul

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The scope base doesn't look canted to me. The base is lined up with the mini blinds in the picture. Have you actually mounted a scope on the rifle?
I went ahead and mounted the scope that I had on the Savage just to see- yep, the crosshairs, which were absolutely straight on the Savage, are tilted.

The top of the vertical crosshair sits at about the 12:03 position...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Howdy,
Casual observation, receiver appears straight, You could put .005 or so shim under the right side until the mount is straight.. This happens now and then while mounting a tang sight.. Use feeler gage strips until it's straight, then trim them so they don't stick out..
Just a thought..

Good luck..

Paul
yeah, looking at it a lot...receiver looks ok. Base is definitely off-center.
Just for an outside opinion, I took it across the street to my fellow gun-nut neighbor to look at. He said "it looks like a car with a flat right rear tire sitting on there"

·
Registered
230 Posts
There is a problem that even a "blind" man should be able to see.
How many, or where else there are problems with the maching on the assembly that are affected could be a real mystery.
Good luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I do not see an issue with that, just turn the scope in the rings till its straight up. Take it to the range and see how she dose.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm getting ready to do just that. The issue is someone at Ruger is building crap, and someone else is letting it go out that way.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Bought a 10/22 a few years ago with the same issue. I didnt send it back because I decided not to mount a scope. I suppose I should get it fixed...the gun shoots fine otherwise.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
The holes are not drilled in the receiver on the center line of the action...........appears quite obvious to me. Common problem on lower cost rifles unfortunately. Send it back, you may or may not get one with the same issue.......but you would hope not.

Other alternative is to roll the scope to get the crosshairs straight and see if it takes all you scope adjustment to get it sighted in.......because in addition to rolled, it also may not be straight. If it doesn't use up all you adjustment, I suppose you could live with it..............but I personally wouldn't

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
One other thing to check. Take it loose and make sure nothing is under it.

Still bad to let it leave factory like that. Looks like there QC department needs some help.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
I do not see an issue with that, just turn the scope in the rings till its straight up. Take it to the range and see how she dose.
My thoughts exactly!

·
Registered
805 Posts
My thoughts exactly!
The problem with doing that is if the bases are out of alignment it could torque the scope tube bringing on a whole other set of problems. No way should you have to accept that in a NIB rifle. It may be as simple as a poorly made scope base or as bad as an out of round receiver. No matter what send it back.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I messed with it a little- went ahead and mounted the Sweet 22 scope - which was sighted in on the Savage, on it- bore sighted it and put 30 rounds through it at almost 20 yards.
No rhyme or reason to accuracy, or lack of it. I couldn't get a group under 4 inches.

I pulled the mount off to take a look underneath and see if the base itself might be warped. It seemed true. What I could easily see was that the screw holes were drilled into the receiver at an angle.

I called Ruger and got an rma, UPS will be picking it up Friday. I just read about another with the same problem, in 2w mag.

What a shame.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I missed a call from a rep today, and I called him back. They were not able 'duplicate' the problem I was seeing because, as he said, the tech put in a set of taps and they looked ok.
I asked him to have a scope mounted, and the crosshairs will be obviously tilted to the right. He said he would pass that on, and also would try a different scope base, as maybe that one was bad. He said the were extruded and supplied to Ruger by someone else.

Give minutes later I got a phone call from a supervisor who said they were replacing the rifle. I asked if it would be the same model, since it was a dist exclusive, she said yes, 'they would make one'.
I also confirmed they would reimburse me the transfer fee and she said yes they would.
Good enough for me!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts