Ruger Forum banner

Ruger American Torture Test Results (Video)

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  hmendelson1946 
#1 ·
#6 ·
I started looking the day after they news was released, took 2 days of internet searching and phone calls to locate one within what I considered driving distance....Jan 3rd we took a 3.5 hour drive to Buds in TN and bought the 45 version....Local shops here in Georgia had no idea when they could get one and some didnt even know about them......there were a few close to Atlanta that had them for people to shoot but none for sale.......

#4 ·
I would be interested as well but have never seen a similar test done on the P95. I suspect some of the glock faithful will disregard this test given they used American beer in lieu of Reisetbauer Whiskey :D.

#7 ·
Bought mine at Gander Mountain and yes I know I paid too much but I am an impatient person. Mine has an under 5000 serial number which was a draw to me. When I picked it up I knew I had to have it and it wasn't staying in that display case. No regrets!

#8 ·
I've posted that video in other RAP threads but was largely ignored as most were more interested in obsessing over the knuckle wrap. That video shows how well made that RAP truly is IMHO. I am by no means an expert, but I am impressed that it kept firing after all that abuse. That perhaps explains the hefty 30 ounces as the RAP is built like a tank. The PRO's far outweigh the CON's for this new model. And with that I am torn because I can easily find them in my area for $440. As much as the RAP has my interest, I am not sure Iwant to run out and buy a just released gun. I'm hoping Ruger will make some improvements here and there soon, and come out with a bitone stainless slide version as well. I am keeping my fingers crossed that we will see that in the 2016 Shot Show.

#11 ·
Just in the chance the other LGS in my area Had a RAP in 9mm. I stopped by to check. Sure enough he had one in 9mm sitting in its case. I arrived at the LGS 10 minutes before closing. I walked out the door with the pistol case in my hand with 2 minutes to spare (it helps having a CCW when you are buying a handgun). At $373.57, I think I got it at a great price.
From reading other posts, if I change the backstrap, I will remove the slide first.
Now I have to cancel the order at the other LGS. Their price was about $50 higher.

#14 ·
Congrats on your new Ruger :). As I indicated in the original thread on the American, I suspected it wouldn't be long before we saw some purchased below the $400.00 threshold.

#15 ·
As Paul Harvey use to say "and now for the rest of the story".
I purchased the handun last Friday. I put the case on my work bench and left it for a couple of hours so I could walk my dogs and eat dinner. When I got back to it I read the owner's manual and unpacked the pistol. Soon I realised the pistol was not a RAP, it was a 9E. The LGS was closed,
The next morning at 1530am I got a phone call from the LGS. The caller said there was a mix up and I got the wrong handgun.
I returned to the LGS with what I bought the day before and found that three guns and their boxes had been switched. I got a RAP case with a 9E.
It seems the full time employees left early Friday to work a gun show. Someone at the LGS had mixed up the guns.
I returned the handgun and case. They had one RAP left and took it to the gun show. A quick call to the owner had him put the RAP aside.
I had to return Monday AM to the LGS and picked up my new RAP. I was given a box of 9th for my troubles.
The owner and I are friends and we had a good laugh over it. I asked him if he had a holster for that was left handed. He didn't think so but one of his employees hands me a holster from Blade tech (Total Eclipse). It can be used either RH or LH.
My final cost for the RAP was $469. The holster cost me $31.97.
Today I took the RAP to the range today and fired about 60 rounds using 115gr, 124gr and 147gr ammo. All worked without any problems. They all shot about 4 to 5 inches low at 15 yards. The trigger was crisp with a pull of about 4 lbs. The sights were easy to line up. The medium grips fit me and I had no knuckle problems. At 30 oz, it feels comfortable in my hands a points well.
After I put a few hundred more rounds down the barrel I will decide if I want to replace the sights.
While I was in the LGS I saw a Browning Hi Power for sale. The price was twice that of the RAP. I down Hi Power and it's a great hand gun, but I don't think it's worth twice the price of the RAP.
I am a big fan of John Browning designed firearms. He opened the firearms industry to a whole new level. As good as his 1911 and Hi Power are, the new generation of handguns and striker fired handguns are bringing the development of handguns to the next level.
I for one have come to appreciate the striker and I guess I'm a covert.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.