Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought two Americans...one in 308 and the other in 30-06 this last weekend. The 308 seems fine but the 30-06 looks like this....

The left side is fully in contact with the barrel. Called Ruger and after a couple of holds, talked with a technician. He said that some come out "different" and told me to shoot the gun and see if it has accuracy issues. They did not want to see any pics. I have had to deal with Ruger on warrenty issues(revolvers) before and they are very good and the tech I talked to was very reassuring that they would stand behind there product.

These are my first rifles and it is my understanding that a completely free floated barrel improves accuracy. I'm going to take both to the range before I talk to Ruger again but what are the odds that the stock touching the barrel will have no effect on accuracy or changing POI's under different conditions? Would this be a problem for you?

PS. When I asked about what to expect for accuracy when testing different rounds in order to determine if the contact was affecting accuracy he said that MOA shooting is more than possible and I should use that as a standard when testing. Nice to know thier standards.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Bought my first 10 22 over a month ago. It had no clip in it or the box. Went to Cabelas and bought me a BX-25. Then I called Ruger, and they mailed me a factory 10 round clip AND another BX-25. I'm happy! Hope you get your issue figured out quick.

Kenny

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,305 Posts
It should not be touching like that. When the barrel heats up from about two or three shots, the point of impact will start moving. If you are hunting at very short ranges or get your game with the first shot, it probable doesn't matter much. If you are shooting five rounds to sight it in, you won't be happy with the group. To sight a rifle like that in, you need to let it completely cool between shots.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Personally that would "irk" me as Lima said that's going to directly affect your accuracy and grouping ,a floated barrel isn't going to work like that a new rifle is a new rifle and you shouldn't have to put up with that i would want it put right or a replacement rig.I really aren't a fan of the Americans stock i wonder how much it will move and twist with heat.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I just got back from the range shooting my RAR .308 and am pleased. I'm still getting my sight back after eye surgery so I just shot at 50 yards. (Two weeks ago shooting another rifle at 100 yards I was seeing 2 bullseyes. When I check today, there was only one.) Next time out I'll try at 100. With 2 different loads (37.3 Varget and 27.3 H4895) I was grouping under an inch. The rifle functioned flawlessly in all other respects.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
That would not be acceptable to me. Something isn't right; Ruger needs to correct the stock if it means replacing the stock or the rifle... I’d call Ruger back and you’ll probably get a different tech. I dealt with Gil in Newport and he was very helpful and a pleasure to talk to. You could try loosening the stock up and see if you can pull it over and tighten it. It may not have been centered when they assembled it. Ruger hasn't been real reliable when it comes to QC lately. As it is now I wouldn't waste my ammo shooting it.

mnh2obuff I'm glad to hear your eye sight is improving

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got one coming from Buds in .30-06
Hope mine doesn't look like that.
Thanks for making us aware Scott.
I'll refuse to accept it right there at my FFL dealer if so.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just got back from the range shooting my RAR .308 and am pleased. I'm still getting my sight back after eye surgery so I just shot at 50 yards. (Two weeks ago shooting another rifle at 100 yards I was seeing 2 bullseyes. When I check today, there was only one.) Next time out I'll try at 100. With 2 different loads (37.3 Varget and 27.3 H4895) I was grouping under an inch. The rifle functioned flawlessly in all other respects.
I'm glad your vision is improving and wish you continued healing.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks for the time and replies.

I'm going to be getting back in touch with Ruger and hopefully talk to Gil. You're right when you say that it does make a difference who you talk to at Ruger and he has been helpful in the past.

PS. Buff....not sure what happened but the best of luck in your recovery.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Problem fixed....

I'm looking forward to taking them to the range on Saturday. Overall, and for the money, they do seem like a good value. I've heard of guys with far more expensive guns doing much more than this to make themselves happy. The proofs in the pudding though and I'll know more Sat. evening.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Looks good now. What did you do to correct it? I bet it was never centered when they assembled it. I'm glad you didn't have to ship it back to them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I hope they work out for you.
No one wants to send back a firearm.
The Free Floating barrel is the way to go.You may be surprised.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks,

I had restocked it more than a few times in hopes that it just had a bit of dirt or the blocks needed to be seated to the reciever but that wasn't the issue. Ruger's position(after a few phone calls) is that they will address the issue only it effects accuracy and I needed to shoot the gun. While these are my first large caliber rifles I do have some experience with barrels, harmonics, breaks, etc... and between my experience and the opinions here I was fairly sure that having the barrel touching the stock would have at least some effect. My previous experience tells me that eliminating one "variable" at a time and taking care of the obvious issues first is best. When I was at the range I wanted to be able to break the barrel in and begin sorting out which ammo is most accurate in this gun. With the stock touching the barrel, I'm not so sure I would be able to determine which ammo was best with confidence that it would work under different shooting conditions.

It really did not have to move much and I have some experience bending and shaping "plastics" so I made a quick jig to sandwich the stock past the magazine and clamped it to the bench. I have blankets etc. to warm things but they get fairly hot ( can melt polymers) and I know enough to go slow. I made a small tent over the forarm and used a ceramic heater to gently and incrementally heat it . It took three trys of heating it(read amount of time....how hot), moving it in the direction I wanted with a straight edge, and then cooling it with a wetted rag. After I dry fitted it to make sure it was correct I cycled it a few times between outside, 20 degrees, and in front of my shop furnace to make sure that it had taken a "set" and memory wouldn't bring it back to where it was in the beginning. It held fine.

Before doing any of this I made a call to Ruger to inquire about the cost and availability of another stock to cover my bases if something unexpectedly went wrong. The stock is NOT avialable for retail sale at the moment. They are saving the stocks they have for warranty service only. I also asked about slightly modifying (sanding, shaping, etc..) to free float the barrel and the response was that modifying it MAY void the warranty on the stock. If I had decided to go the shaping route I would have made another call to see exactly what I could and couldn't do if I wanted to maintian the factory warranty.

HTH, Scott

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Scott hopefully when you shoot the rifle it will hold a good group. I wasn't impressed the way Ruger told you that you need to shoot it. Your eyes don't lie and it was quite obvious something wasn't right. You bought a new rifle and you expect it to be right when you get it. Sounds like you got a handle on the problem and it's a done deal. Let us know how it shoots.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Scott hopefully when you shoot the rifle it will hold a good group. I wasn't impressed the way Ruger told you that you need to shoot it. Your eyes don't lie and it was quite obvious something wasn't right. You bought a new rifle and you expect it to be right when you get it. Sounds like you got a handle on the problem and it's a done deal. Let us know how it shoots.
X2 - Shooting it will show ya what you need to know.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Keep us posted please. I am considering the American .308.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Three good ones

I have three of these .270, .308, and 30-06. All three are great shooters. I have a Tasco 3x9 on 2 of them and a Simmons 3x9 on the other (saving for better scopes). I have legit <1" groups with all three of them from my lead sled (I don't shoot that good).

·
Registered
5 Posts
My barrel wouldnt sit center in the stock when I screwed down the butt end first (rear v-block). It came from the factory centered so what I think you have to do is place the barrel in the stock, check if it is centered, screw the front end of the reciever first (front v-block), and I guess that centers it and puts in a good spot. Then you tighten down the butt end (rear v-block), and after doing it like is when I found out how it centers my RAR barrel to the stock. Just like it came from the factory.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sorry for the delay gentlemen but while my son and I had the the 308 and the 30-06 he had to wait until Christmas for his scope and mounts. I have a Bushnell Legend 5-15 mil dot and he ended up with a Vortex Cross fire II 4-12 on top of his 30-06. The Legend series I have had for years and find them to be great scopes for the money and when shopping scopes locally I ran into the Vortex. Nice balistic reticle that isn't too busy and optically sharp to the edges. It's not a $600 scope but so far it seems like a good value and Vortex has a good reputation for warenty service so I thought it would be worth a try. What counts most is my son is very happy with the combo and was all smiles Christmas morning.

Sat. we went out to the range to break the guns in and get a feel for how they shot. It was cloudy, 15 mile and hour wind, and the temp was 12 degrees in the Twin Cities so you can usually take off a few degrees when out in the country next to the St. Croix river. In other words, a tad bit cold but neither of us could wait any longer so we went for it. I've read many opinions as to how to break in a bore with some saying that it wasn't necessay at all but we ended up cleaning every two or three rounds for the first fifteen rounds and the once after the last five of the day. Figured it sure couldn't hurt but I sure do wish it had been 10-15 degrees warmer. After a few hours our fingers were plenty cold.

I'm not sure if any judments can or should be made during this process since not only are the guns new, neither one of us has a lot of time behind larger caliber rifles but they seemed to shoot just fine with hints that the accuracy was there for the taking. We shot at 50, 100 and 200 yards and were able to get more than a few very nice groups with a few that weren't so great. The groups that weren't good I think we can write off to the cold, inexperience, or inexpensive Remington Core-Lokt ammo. We didn't try any other manufacturers ammo and shoot to determine accuracy because of the cold and time constraints. I'm not sure we would have gotten a "fair" test under those conditions. The guns did cycle fine with no failures to feed or fire and the magazines worked well. The bolt actions remained as smooth as they did at 70 degrees. I had bought my son a few dummy rounds to practice with while in the house and they did cycle a little stiff but the real stuff was very smooth. Both of the stocks stayed put and did not come close to the barrel. I was very happy to see that they performed well given my initial "problem".

While this wasn't a complete test of the guns, all in all, I can see some real potential and am very happy with them. I know my 14 year old son didn't stop smiling all day.

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts