Ruger Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
@Tacky I appreciate you trying to help the guy, but you keep suggesting brands that are now defunct. Olympic Arms, which actually owned their own forge, is gone. Just like DPMS and Bushmaster...

Anyway, I'm not much of an ARFcom guy. Too many armchair commandos over there for my taste. Some are just too fanboyish to accept reality for what it is.

I may not own as many ARs as you do. I only have 5. But, I was a 19K guy in the army for years, and worked closely with other operators from various branches and countries. My current employer which is the largest organizer of troop and police contributing countries also utilizes a stringent selection program for small arms and munitions it purchases. Bushmaster or DPMS were never on the short list due to a litany of issues. Most of my guys are now carrying select-fire FNs or KACs if it makes a difference.

I don't buy into brand names anymore. All receivers come from one of three forges. Some assemblers machine the forgings themselves like LMT. Others contract it out then just do the final assembly. The important bits are the barrel, bolt, carrier, and how things are put together.

Anyway, I always suggest to anyone first getting into ARs is to buy something inexpensive but reliable. Then after, learn to assemble your own. You could put together a really nice rifle or pistol these days for under $1000. The Ruger offerings are generally pretty good, but with the current rush and panic buying (they had an amazing 2nd quarter earnings report), they're probably pushing these things out the door as fast as possible. Unfortunately, QC is usually the first to suffer.

Feel free to disagree with me. I don't mind.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
"The Real Deal"
6,547 Posts
@Tacky I appreciate you trying to help the guy, but you keep suggesting brands that are now defunct. Olympic Arms, which actually owned their own forge, is gone. Just like DPMS and Bushmaster...

Anyway, I'm not much of an ARFcom guy. Too many armchair commandos over there for my taste. Some are just too fanboyish to accept reality for what it is.

I may not own as many ARs as you do. I only have 5. But, I was a 19K guy in the army for years, and worked closely with other operators from various branches and countries. My current employer which is the largest organizer of troop and police contributing countries also utilizes a stringent selection program for small arms and munitions it purchases. Bushmaster or DPMS were never on the short list due to a litany of issues. Most of my guys are now carrying select-fire FNs or KACs if it makes a difference.

I don't buy into brand names anymore. All receivers come from one of three forges. Some assemblers machine the forgings themselves like LMT. Others contract it out then just do the final assembly. The important bits are the barrel, bolt, carrier, and how things are put together.

Anyway, I always suggest to anyone first getting into ARs is to buy something inexpensive but reliable. Then after, learn to assemble your own. You could put together a really nice rifle or pistol these days for under $1000. The Ruger offerings are generally pretty good, but with the current rush and panic buying (they had an amazing 2nd quarter earnings report), they're probably pushing these things out the door as fast as possible. Unfortunately, QC is usually the first to suffer.

Feel free to disagree with me. I don't mind.

I appreciate your input, and you have some valuable points, and others i can respectfully disagree with, no harm. no foul.

I am aware of the forgers and markings, anchor richey, cerro forge, etc. Your correct and have seen them on many branded firearms. The particular maker has the end result about how they assemble them. Some are good at it, some not so. But i think any of those, even if they are defunct, have some products still being sold in retail and would be a good investment probably will still be around when we have turned to dust, as long as the politicians are held at bay. Myself i do not worry about warranties, i would repair it myself. The best warranty is the one you never have to use.

I also agree about AR15.com, TOO many fanboys same with ar308.com. I do not reside there.

Like i said, no harm, no foul.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
"The Real Deal"
6,547 Posts

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Yea I won't ever be going to that LGS ever again. The way they treated me and basically told me not their problem was disheartening. Also this was a special order item. I actually had to pay for it before I even got to look at it. My fault on that one. I thought I wouldn't have had any issues.

As for the gap. I'm trying to show the gap the best way I can. It's definitely there. I'm definitely not all trying to be deceiving. Size wise it's more like a dime size gap. I will see if I have a feeler gauge and test it with that.
If a dime will fit in the gap, stick one in it and send that photo to Ruger. Wouldn't hurt to post it here too.

Reactions: frog4aday

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
Myself i do not worry about warranties, i would repair it myself. The best warranty is the one you never have to use.

I also agree about AR15.com, TOO many fanboys same with ar308.com. I do not reside there.
Same here, I also do my own repairs (if needed). "Mostly", I'm just cleaning up burrs, mold marks and a little fine tuning on the lower end models. My LGS is good at getting parts in and are authorized to do "most" manufacture repairs in house (keeps me plenty busy some days). EVERY weapon is inspected BEFORE final sale and it goes out the door.

I also agree about AR15 and AR308, too many fanboys and I don't reside there either.

Reactions: Tacky

·
Registered
11 Posts
... If dpms is gone as you spout, their (SIC) are still millions of rifles and parts for sale that are quality firearms with a panther logo on them in circulation.
And - especially in the case of parts - you have no way of knowing if they are in spec or QA fallouts. That often happens when the original producers lose control of their production.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Ok so I have tried my best to get a measurement on the gap. The issue I was running into was the feeler gauge doesn't flex/bend with the curve of the rifle. I attached a pic anyways even thought it probably isn't the best. So I used paper to visualize the gap. I can fit 9 pieces of paper in that gap very easily. To me it doesn't seem right but again I could be wrong.

edit finally heard back from rugers customer service after inquiring on Monday. Just to be told at 3:55pm that they close at 4 today. So no one called me and I can't call them. I understand it's memorial day weekend but that was kind of ridiculous to wait til the last 5 mins to tell me that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Without a backlight shining through the gap, it honestly doesn't look that bad. If she runs fine without issue, I'd leave well enough alone.

How does it shoot? Does the POI equal POA with windage at, or close, to mechanical zero? If the rifle zeros with minimal amount of windage and elevation adjustment required, and prints nice tight groups at 100 yards, then I'd not bother trying to get a replacement.

If it makes you feel any better, I have a Colt LE6920 that I paid way too much for back in 2008 during the panic buy of post-Sandy Hook. That rifle shoots very well but Colt couldn't be bothered milling out the forge flashing on the bottom of the lower inside the trigger well, and the upward-curved radius behind the pistol grip.

And here's the gap on the Colt. Looks about the same as yours. No big deal.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
If you're not happy, get your refund and buy something different. For those that argue DPMS, Bushmaster, etc don't exist as brands, yes they do, owned by Remington Outdoor. Same as Marlin. Just because they changed owners doesn't mean they no longer exist.

Everyone needs to own firearms that meet their needs. Just because one may not meet your needs doesn't mean it doesn't meet anyone's needs.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
191 Posts
Technically, Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco and StormLake have all ceased to exist as brands since Remington shuttered them. Not sure why people refuse to accept that fact.

I only stress the above because while there may be a lot of inventory still being sold off, you may encounter difficulties getting warranty-related service from any of those brands mentioned.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,547 Posts
Technically, Bushmaster, DPMS, Tapco and StormLake have all ceased to exist as brands since Remington shuttered them. Not sure why people refuse to accept that fact.

I only stress the above because while there may be a lot of inventory still being sold off, you may encounter difficulties getting warranty-related service from any of those brands mentioned.

Add AAC to that too. Your correct remington has put the brakes on new nanufacture which i really hate seens they only produce the ba50 bushy anymore due to those cry babies in kalifornia who had stock shares in freedom group. What a load of ---'. I would have perferred they kept producing dpns and bushmaster. The market is saturated right now though with ar stuff. However i have several, never an issue, and wouldn't sway me from buying one tomorrow of the renaining supplies. I hear the guy that created bushmaster that sold it, has started a biusiness with layed off employees from bushmaster, which is Wyndam Weaponry, same quality as the old bushys.

Now then AAC, i would hate to have a suppressor from them, and it need to be rebuilt after X amount of rounds. That would really suck.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yeah, that's the reason I bought suppressors from Griffin and Rugged.

Anyway, the Windham Weaponry guns are very good. I own one of their carbon fiber models (purchased on a whim as I wanted something different). It's a great rifle with top tier barrel.

Overall the Windham guns are more expensive than similar offerings from Ruger, but you get what you pay for.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,547 Posts
True that, buy once, cry once. I have had good results with rock river, delton, and fulton armory as well. Depends on what its for, and how loaded you want it.

Recently purchased a bear creek arsenal 450 bushmaster upper, was surprised at the quality, and accuracy/function.

Reactions: Maddmax

·
Registered
491 Posts
ChrisB, good job with dimensioning the gap! Gives a good perspective which should lead to a better objective conversation.

I'd send those pics and data to Ruger and ask them if it's within "spec". Looks excessive to me...and the look of it would personally drive me nuts. Of course, YMMV regarding the look. If it's within their spec and it shoots fine the I suppose that's a different conversation as to what to do with it.

Pls let us know what happens.

·
Registered
4,324 Posts
Yeah, that's the reason I bought suppressors from Griffin and Rugged.

Anyway, the Windham Weaponry guns are very good. I own one of their carbon fiber models (purchased on a whim as I wanted something different). It's a great rifle with top tier barrel.

Overall the Windham guns are more expensive than similar offerings from Ruger, but you get what you pay for.

I have one Windham. If I buy another, it will be one of these -

·
"The Real Deal"
6,547 Posts
I have one Windham. If I buy another, it will be one of these -

I looked at that rifle too, something sexy bout wood onbvban ar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
The latest update - I called ruger on Tuesday. And spoke with customer service regarding the issues with the gap between the upper and lower, loose gas tube. At that time also noticed the box I received didn't match with actual firearm I received (not a huge deal but I did let them know). They asked what I would like to do. And I said honestly at this point I'd like a refund. And they said OK. So the next day UPS came and picked it up. And that was that. Pretty good customer service unfortunately was a little bit disappointed in the AR-556. I have a Ruger 10/22 and it's easily one of my favorite firearms I have owned. Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

·
Registered
4,007 Posts
True that, buy once, cry once.
And don't forget, you only go around once. As long as everything is up-to-date and the bills are paid, might as well enjoy it.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts