Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching high and low for a new AR. It came down to the NEW M&P Sport II or the Ruger AR-556. I finally decided on the Ruger because of the 1:8 twist barrel. But finding one has become very difficult. I got an email today that the New M&P Sport II was back in stock. I'd like to hear from those of you that have one or both rifles. I probably won't be doing any long range shooting and I'll probably be like most people these days and purchase the most reasonable priced ammo I can find. I want it basically for a fun to shoot weapon and because I want one if and when the "powers that be" start restricting AR sales and ownership again. I think if I were going to get a more expensive gun I'd build it myself. That being said this will be my first AR and I need to start somewhere.
What do you think ? Would you wait for the Ruger or jump on the M&P ? Thanks, Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I, like you, have been a semi auto and pistol guy. Wanted an AR just because, like you, because I just had to have one. My first look at AR's, shopping for em, doing research on em, and talking to those that have em and shoot em, I was set on the Ruger. Couldn't be happier, have 2000 rounds through it. Had a slight problem at first with FTL (took it home, oiled it up, out the same afternoon, flawless ever since.

·
Registered
930 Posts
JC,

I have had two friends that are in the same boat. Looking and the M&P came in stock and one purchased the S&W M&P and the other friend waited.

The Ruger showed up last week and he got an early Christmas present.

I have been put with both of them last week and shot both side by side same day.

Pick the Ruger and wait for it to show in stock. The S&W is not bad but I liked the feel of the Ruger AAR556 better. I just liked the feel of the weapon. I also noticed on the M&P you di miss a few options.

If you can hold out go with the Ruger.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
When guys talk about "feel" I have to wonder what they mean. It's an AR-15 and as such, it "feels" like an AR-15. The two rifles are virtually identical. One has a dust cover and forward assist.......one doesn't. Other than that, it's a wash. You like Rugers and would rather have the Ruger.........wait on one. You just want a quality AR now and can get the Sport.......get it. No wrong choice and virtually no difference.

I have owned both...........Probably couldn't tell one from the other if they were placed in your hands with your eyes closed and neither ran better than the other. I kept the Sport, because to me, the cover and forward assist are useless options I don't want nor need

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
OP, I truly believe you can't go wrong with either one.

I chose the Ruger for several reasons, but mainly because at the time I bought mine, the ruger and the Sport were the same price, $599, and the Ruger offered more features.

The Sport II has added two features the original Sport lacked, a forward assist and a dust cover.

Bottom line is that both are $600 AR's that will just plain work. Either is an excellent choice.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Get what is available. Both are fine rifles. The Smith has a treated barrel which is a nice plus. You basically need to choose which logo you want to see in your rifle and whether you want to wait or not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is the AR-556 currently being produced??

OP, I am in the same spot as you atm. I think I am partial to the AR-556 over the M&P15 Sport II for some reason. However as everyone knows there is no inventory ANYWHERE.

So are there units on the way to retailers or what? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the AR-556 currently being produced??

OP, I am in the same spot as you atm. I think I am partial to the AR-556 over the M&P15 Sport II for some reason. However as everyone knows there is no inventory ANYWHERE.

So are there units on the way to retailers or what? Does anyone know?
Three weeks ago or so the Ruger was available online. Shortly after the last incident in SO CAL they began to disappear. I know of at least one online retailer that got a few on a Friday and again on the following Tuesday and they evaporated before I could get one. Also every time they got a few guns the priced jumped as well. Since then I've really been looking hard at the M&P Sport II. They seem to be "almost" identical. If the Ruger doesn't show up in the next day or two I'll probably go with the Sport II.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I finally decided to go with the Sport II. Ordered it today. I think either one would be fine. The Sport II was available and the price was right. I still couldn't find the AR-556 at a decent price and I think AR's will become scarce in the near future. The price has already started to go up again. I saw the Ruger go from $579 to $647 in the last week. I really didn't want to wait any longer. Besides I can always sell it if I don't like it, probably for more than I paid for it. Thanks to everyone for all the great information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey smokinjoess, Very sleek looking setup. I was thinking of upgrading to the Daniel defense stock also. I've heard of some issues with the stock moving forward when shot. Hows yours working out for you?
King

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hey smokinjoess, Very sleek looking setup. I was thinking of upgrading to the Daniel defense stock also. I've heard of some issues with the stock moving forward when shot. Hows yours working out for you?
King
I read some of the early ones had that problem but that was fixed I've had no issue's with mine with thousands of rounds through it now I really like it.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts