Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd ask here does anyone use the Ruger AR556 in below zero temps. & do you need to take any cold weather precautions? If so what specifically do you do to keep one running in below zero temps.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Hey Frank, I shot the M-16 when I was stationed in the interior of Alaska, temps got down to -50 below in the daytime, a little colder at night. I remember we cleaned all the oil off but, that was near 40 years ago, can't recall what we used to replace the oil.
I would think if you removed all the oil and lubed liberally with something like Remington Dri-Lube you'd be able to shoot your AR in just about as cold of weather as you cared to.
I usually try to get my big game hunting done by mid November, but have done the Dri-Lube thing on my shotguns and they did fine on late season pheasants when the temp was -15 below.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Frank, I think a well-maintained AR should run just fine in sub-zero temps.

There's a guy in Minnesota whose YouTube channel is called Crucible Arms. He has videos where he puts Frog Lube on an AK and an AR and shoots them with no issues in really cold weather. Apparently he was hearing claims that Frog Lube was no good in the cold and he wanted to debunk those claims.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I also wrote Ruger's customer service & asked them also. They said my email has been recieved & I should get a response in three working days. I'll share what Ruger has to say, I kind of feel a well maintained rifle should work in below zero weather. Lever actions, pumps, & bolt guns do.
The Ruger AR556 is an interesting rifle & they seem to be reasonably accurate from what I have heard.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Since the AR design has been at least 'perfected' in 50 years of service I'd say that cold temp service would depend more on the lubrication, type/quality/amount, than the fact its an AR.

FL should be fine IF properly applied. Certainly any other GUN lube should also work just fine in lower 48 type of cold. I'm sure you're not the first civilian to run his personal AR in -0 temps.

I used to work at an airport and try to put 65wt oil kept at 0° into a/c oil tanks, gallons at a time. Some of those old radials had tanks who's dip sticks were marked in GALLONS.

Unless you're going to N. Pole, any good gun oil or FL applied properly should be just fine.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
I don't know if Ruger CS will be helpful. They've only been making AR's for a couple years, and I doubt they do any testing in actual field conditions outside of the factory.
If you were going to ask a manufacturer, Colt has been making them since the early 1960's. I guess it depends on who you talk to, whether they want to do some digging and research on the subject and make the effort to get back to you.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
My SR556 was Frog Lubed the day I got it and, since, we've had a couple of cold winters. Not as cold as they would experience in Alaska but cold none the less.

I've fired the SR in -24° weather with no problem. One of the other rifles on the range that day weren't working all that well in the cold.

I think our range may have been even colder because it's in a big hollow. The -24° was at home a mile from the range.

Hope this gives you some help.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
I shot M4s in Afghanistan at -35.......

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I am going to try & hunt up some Frog Lube.
Thanks
Frank V, what do you currently use to lube your firearms? Unless it's something thick and gooey like axle grease or something, any high quality gun oil should be fine. There really is no reason to change products if what you currently use works well for you. If you do end up finding out that your AR-556 does not work well in sub-zero weather, then I suppose that would be the time to rethink things.

Just curious- do you have plans to shoot your AR-556 somewhere that has a lot of really cold temps?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Frank V, what do you currently use to lube your firearms? Unless it's something thick and gooey like axle grease or something, any high quality gun oil should be fine. There really is no reason to change products if what you currently use works well for you. If you do end up finding out that your AR-556 does not work well in sub-zero weather, then I suppose that would be the time to rethink things.

Just curious- do you have plans to shoot your AR-556 somewhere that has a lot of really cold temps?

I have been using Break Free CLP for a number of years & have been satisfied with it.
Here in Montana it reaches 30 below in the winter at times.
Then there is the allure as said beore of staying in with some hot chocolate in that weather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mishtub
Thanks for that link to Midway & Frog Lube.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I have been using Break Free CLP for a number of years & have been satisfied with it.
Here in Montana it reaches 30 below in the winter at times.
Then there is the allure as said beore of staying in with some hot chocolate in that weather.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mishtub
Thanks for that link to Midway & Frog Lube.
I see no reason to switch products. And, as Homeguard advises, just make sure any excess oil is wiped off.

OTOH... if hot chocolate gets boring and you need an excuse to get outside when it's -30, you could assemble a few different popular gun lubes and try them out. Be interesting to see if any of them don't work.

We will look forward to your report. About the first week or so in January, you think?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
1 - 20 of 31 Posts