Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a decision to make. I sold a shotgun I wasn't using (after getting my Red Label last year) and have about $700 that I plan to use on either a Ruger 556 or a used AK47.

The only other rifle that I have, other than some .22s, is a Mosin Nagant M44.

Just curious to some other opinions...go with the AR or the AK?

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
If you are just wanting a fairly low cost rifle to burn through cheap ammo and have some fun, either fits the bill nicely. The AK will eat anything you feed it. If you are wanting to maybe upgrade to "better" parts later, the AR is probably the choice. I have both, not a wrong choice, just depends on what you want the rifle to do.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
I'd pick an AR over an AK every time. I'm not a fan of the Kalashnikov at all. Lot's of folks rave about them but I just don't get the appeal. Different strokes I guess. Plus they're not cheap any more.

How about a Mini14/30? They can be had pretty much every where for $700 and you can get it 223 or 7.62x39 or 300 Blackout.

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Either one. I like both platforms a lot. You can get new AKs for $700 and less. Check out WASRs, Yugo AKs, converted Saigas, Destructive Devices Industries (DDI), and Century's RAS47 and C39. Stay away from IO AKs.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Check out WASR AKs. Solid shooters and as said by others they will eat any ammo. Fun to repeatedly ring the 300 yd gong with open sights.

·
Banned
2,566 Posts
Of the two rifles, AR556 or the AK 47, my preference would be the AK 47. If you can find a Romanian WASR 10/63 or 10 you would be much better off. It will eat anything you feed it, it will run full of dirt, mud, whatever gets in it, The AK will be the most reliable gun in your safe. They are simple to use, and they scare the crap out of the liberals. I keep one in my work truck also, they are great for a beater rifle. Also 7.62X39 is way cheaper than 223/5.56 ammo.

AKs range from $599 to $800 so you can find a good one in your price range. Someone posted that Mini 14/30s were $700, where? Every one I've seen in the last year were popping $900 before tax.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would go with an AR all day long but I personally do not care for the AK at all. An AR is a blast to both shoot and to customize. If you want an AK down the road then you can always get one but once you get bit by the AR bug you may find yourself wanting more of them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you want to punch holes in paper and have a target-accurate rifle? ARF

Do you want a rifle that will give you decent accuracy and be dead reliable? AK

(I own both, but if I had to choose one of them, I would choose one of my AKs. Reliability and higher power is more important to me.)

As mentioned above, consider a Ranch Rifle (Mini-14), too.

Ideally, you should shoot each and see what you prefer. Someone else saying that they do or don't prefer a certain rifle should really not have any bearing on your choice.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Have to admit, I find it odd when guys say they love one or the other platform and don't care for the other at all............Lets face it, neither is a decidedly "attractive looking" weapon, at least not to me. They are both military type semi autos and fit that bill. ARs are more upgradable, with more aftermarket parts, while the AK is probably the more reliable of the two.

Like I said...........I have one of each. Both fun to shoot, but can't say I favor one over the other. The AK ammo is cheaper and that rifle has NEVER failed to fire a single round. AR is a little more picky. If I was looking to "upgrade", I could switch uppers on the AR, change calibers and the list goes on and on. But since that "platform" is not my type rifle of choice for other calibers or disciplines, my AR is mostly a fun ammo burner......same as the AK

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should have mentioned in my first post that I will be using the rifle just for range shooting...both indoor (25 yards) and outdoor (100-200 yds).

I have shot my brothers AK a couple of time and liked it a lot. I have not had the opportunity to shoot an AR yet. (I've only been shooting anything for 3 years.) Before making a decision I will certainly rent one at the range.

I actually thought an AR (new) would be out of my price range ($600-700) until I saw the Ruger AR556 was right there and S&W had one for a little more. Just being a Ruger fan would make that choice easy for me.

Could anyone explain what I am NOT getting with the Ruger AR556 when compared to the Ruger SR556...for what I want to use it for I just can't see why I would want to spend a whole lot more $$$.

I also would have no plans to add a lot of accessories. Maybe a scope for the 200 yard range?

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I should have mentioned in my first post that I will be using the rifle just for range shooting...both indoor (25 yards) and outdoor (100-200 yds).

I have shot my brothers AK a couple of time and liked it a lot. I have not had the opportunity to shoot an AR yet. (I've only been shooting anything for 3 years.) Before making a decision I will certainly rent one at the range.

I actually thought an AR (new) would be out of my price range ($600-700) until I saw the Ruger AR556 was right there and S&W had one for a little more. Just being a Ruger fan would make that choice easy for me.

Could anyone explain what I am NOT getting with the Ruger AR556 when compared to the Ruger SR556...for what I want to use it for I just can't see why I would want to spend a whole lot more $$$.

I also would have no plans to add a lot of accessories. Maybe a scope for the 200 yard range?

Thanks for the replies.
If this is the plan........get the AR

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
The Ruger AR-556 will be excellent for your intended purposes. An inexpensive AK would also serve your purposes just as well.

As for the Ruger, what do you not get for about $600? Well, you can't put a grenade launcher on it, as the barrel is not the right shape. The bore and chamber are not chrome lined. Also, many AR's have heat shielded foregrips, which the Ruger does not have.

None of the things the Ruger lacks are things you are likely to miss using it the way you plan to.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Have to admit, I find it odd when guys say they love one or the other platform and don't care for the other at all............Lets face it, neither is a decidedly "attractive looking" weapon, at least not to me. They are both military type semi autos and fit that bill. ARs are more upgradable, with more aftermarket parts, while the AK is probably the more reliable of the two.

Like I said...........I have one of each. Both fun to shoot, but can't say I favor one over the other. The AK ammo is cheaper and that rifle has NEVER failed to fire a single round. AR is a little more picky. If I was looking to "upgrade", I could switch uppers on the AR, change calibers and the list goes on and on. But since that "platform" is not my type rifle of choice for other calibers or disciplines, my AR is mostly a fun ammo burner......same as the AK
Blasphemy!

I grew up with Remington 700's, beautiful rifles. After acquiring my first AR, M&P15A, I've grow quite fond of them (I'll admit, I prefer semi-auto over bolt). Still have my original 700 Remington 30-06, but any more it looks 'odd' and antiquated. The AR's just look awesome and somewhat 'beast mode'

·
Banned
2,566 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
The SR556 is a piston driven rifle, no gas enters the chamber to get the bolt hot, you can dump 60 rounds and hold the bolt in your hand. Try that with any other AR. It runs way cleaner than a regular AR which means more time between cleanings. And it means less time when cleaning as all the carbon is not there. Also the rifle already has a quad rail, BUIS, chrome lined barrel and comes with 3, 30 rd. Pmags, adjustable gas block and soft case.

I own one and have over 3,000 rounds through it and have yet to experience a failure of any kind with the rifle, I run my gas setting on 1 which make the rifle shoot softer that my mid length Del Ton of DPMS Recon. There is very little recoil on that setting and so far it's all it has needed to shoot any ammo I've fed it.

Downsides to the SR556 is it's heavy, it gets even heavier after a while of shooting it. Rigged out with a good red dot, 30 round mag and sling and attachments it would get close to 9 1/2 pounds. And your stuck with the hand guard that comes on the rifle as it's made into the piston system.

Is it worth the extra money? Only you can decide that but for me I'm very happy with mine. I shoot it just as much as my other ARs.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Blasphemy!

I grew up with Remington 700's, beautiful rifles. After acquiring my first AR, M&P15A, I've grow quite fond of them (I'll admit, I prefer semi-auto over bolt). Still have my original 700 Remington 30-06, but any more it looks 'odd' and antiquated. The AR's just look awesome and somewhat 'beast mode'
Just depends on what you like and I am a bolt gun guy. Heavy barrel target type rifles are my choice and the black, military look is not in the least bit appealing to me. I also don't like the matte finish and synthetic stocks on rifles, nor do I own a polymer frame pistol. More old school in my preference of how a weapon "looks".

I said that I do own both an AK and an AR. Bought them because I could and thought one day you might not be able to buy them. Have considered building a heavy barrel, target oriented AR............but just a thought, as I know those type rifles will never be my preferred platform. Others shoot mine more than I do........as they seem to get a kick out of shooting a "military" type rifle. I can take em or leave em. But I am obviously in the minority these days, as those type guns are what sells the most

·
Banned
650 Posts
I have both an SKS and an AR15. I have plenty of SD ammo for the SKS. All I have is ball ammo for the AR15 other than a couple boxes of SOST Mod0 for dispatching hogs. I do not care if I recover the hogs I just want the survivors, if any to leave this part of the country.

It really depends on what you want to do with the rifle. If you are interested in three gun matches you need an AR15. If you just want a practical rifle for SD, dispatching pests and some light hunting the AK is a better choice.

Really I am not a fan of either caliber. They are just cheap rifles that prove to be useful on occasion. In my world an AR10 chambered in 308 is a better practical knock around rifle. The 308 is a good hunter. The 308 is a great man stopper. The 308 will disable any unarmored vehicle. I can go on and on but it is obvious I prefer a more powerful rifle with a lot of range.

·
Premium Member
4,204 Posts
Of the two rifles, AR556 or the AK 47, my preference would be the AK 47. If you can find a Romanian WASR 10/63 or 10 you would be much better off. It will eat anything you feed it, it will run full of dirt, mud, whatever gets in it, The AK will be the most reliable gun in your safe. They are simple to use, and they scare the crap out of the liberals. I keep one in my work truck also, they are great for a beater rifle. Also 7.62X39 is way cheaper than 223/5.56 ammo.

AKs range from $599 to $800 so you can find a good one in your price range. Someone posted that Mini 14/30s were $700, where? Every one I've seen in the last year were popping $900 before tax.
Ruger Mini-14 .223 Rem. Black Synthetic 5rd $697.00 SHIPS FREE

Ruger Mini 30 7.62X39 20RD 5854 $708.00 SHIPS FREE

1 - 20 of 39 Posts