Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, two years ago, the thought of an AR pistol intrigued me...admittedly influenced by Waveform's "Stormtrooper" pistol...as I'm a Star Wars nerd.

But, I always thought .223/5.56 was waaaay too much for a pistol, so thought about alternatives. I thought of .300 Blackout, because I built a rifle in that caliber, but also thought I'd expand my horizons a bit. I then thought "how about 9mm?". I'd been accumulating other pistols in 9mm and was getting pretty sold on the caliber, so looked into what I needed to do to make my own "Stormtrooper" pistol.

I picked up a Ruger stripped AR556 lower and started building on that.

I got all the parts purchased, going for a two-tone gray look (which actually resulted in multi-tone, since all the grays don't exactly match...oh well). So I got the upper and lower assembled and then tried putting them together...They didn't fit.馃が

Between the Sylvan Arms Colt-Style mag adapter block and the Bear Creek Arsenal Bolt, the upper and lower would not go together.

So, I started working on the "ears" of the feed ramp of the adapter block with hand files to where I could get everything together and give the bolt enough clearance to work. Once done that, I tried feeding some dummy rounds and they consistently jammed. At this point, I was pretty frustrated.

So, I placed a call to Sylvan Arms, based in Myrtle Beach, NC (this is relevant, though I did not know their location at the time) and spoke to some folks down there. They were very accommodating and told me that they'd be willing to send me another block at no charge. Meanwhile, in the course of the discussion, they informed me that it may be delayed because they were preparing for Hurricane Florence, which was due to hit them dead-on in a few hours. At this point, I was amazed that they had even answered the phone, let alone discussed my issues when they were going to get slammed by a darn hurricane...I told them to forget about sending anything at this point, or even worrying about anything but their own safety, wished them luck and hung up with them.

I then shelved the project for two years...until working at home due to COVID-19 had me in my reloading room/office with the build "calling" to me...so I started tinkering with it again.

I did some more research and send some emails and in the meantime, did a little more filing on the feed ramp to the block and got it to feed a bit better...it fed well from the left side of the magazine, but not the right (Colts are double-stack, double-feed).

Sylvan Arms was great...even after two years and with full knowledge that a hack gunsmith (me) was hammer-handing around at their product with files, they sent me another mag block for nothing. We all were sort of believing that there was something wrong with the tolerances of the original block.

The replacement block arrived and I installed it with the same results as the original...it didn't fit...now, that left the bolt as the "problem child".

I'd written to Bear Creek Arsenal, telling them my challenge and asked for their input. It was about three weeks after my initial email when they responded. they informed me that the bolt was not compatible with Colt-style magazines...it was a Glock-style bolt...How I missed that when I bought it, I don't know.

So, I purchased a correct-style bolt and surprise...everything went together like a champ. It hand-cycles and feeds dummy rounds perfectly. Now, I just need to get to the range or up to camp to try it out...

I freely admit that I didn't go top of the line, name-brand parts, as I wanted to keep the cost low. It's not going to get shot a lot, I imagine.

I've relocated the optic rearward since the photo was taken

Aqualung

Ruger Tinkerer
Very cool project! I like it and I think 9MM is a great caliber for that set up. The one I put together in 5.56 does make for a lot of fire and noise (doesn't help I put a brake on it too but then I really was going for loud and obnoxious.) Since doing my AR pistol I put together an AR9 carbine and found 9MM to be a lot of fun in an AR so if I had it to do over again I would have gone 9MM in the pistol. Live and learn. Yours looks great - COVID-19 stay at home orders has been good for getting important stuff done around the house!

Registered
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Exchequer
I'm impressed. Very nice looking project. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Registered
Thank you for that detailed write up on your pistol calibre carbine.

I lean towards the AR platform but have heard great things about the PCC too.

"The Real Deal"
Very cool project! I like it and I think 9MM is a great caliber for that set up. The one I put together in 5.56 does make for a lot of fire and noise (doesn't help I put a brake on it too but then I really was going for loud and obnoxious.) Since doing my AR pistol I put together an AR9 carbine and found 9MM to be a lot of fun in an AR so if I had it to do over again I would have gone 9MM in the pistol. Live and learn. Yours looks great - COVID-19 stay at home orders has been good for getting important stuff done around the house!
Go ahead and post your storm trooper 5.56 that i have rights too if you decide its leaving your collection. :love:

"The Real Deal"
Aqua, as i told you thats a good looking pistol , would love to try it out myself some day. I do not have a short ar in 9mm, on the 16" rra but ibdo have an mp5 and full size uzi with 10.5 barrels and they are a load of fun. Enjoy that pistol. (y)

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #9
Well...it works! And I thought I might need it it clear a path to get back home today, but that's a different story there...

I took it with me up to Camp yesterday when my uncle and I went up to check on the place, mow the grass and the like. At the end of the day, I loaded up a 10-round mag with some fmj ball.

I snapped it in and squeezed off the 10 rounds, just like that. No issues and VERY pleasant to shoot! I just wanted to test for function and I'm pleased with the results. The sight's not bore-sighted or sighted in, but the gun goes "pop" when the trigger is pulled, so that's a start.

Aqualung

"The Real Deal"
Well...it works! And I thought I might need it it clear a path to get back home today, but that's a different story there...

I took it with me up to Camp yesterday when my uncle and I went up to check on the place, mow the grass and the like. At the end of the day, I loaded up a 10-round mag with some fmj ball.

I snapped it in and squeezed off the 10 rounds, just like that. No issues and VERY pleasant to shoot! I just wanted to test for function and I'm pleased with the results. The sight's not bore-sighted or sighted in, but the gun goes "pop" when the trigger is pulled, so that's a start.

Aqualung
Yup thats a good thing. I find shooting the 9mm in an ar feels different compared to a 5.56. Maybe its the delay after you pull the trigger being a blowback, its not slow, just feels slower cycling to me.

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #11

Aqualung
Well, the combination of the 32-round mags and the Winchester 115grn FMJ rounds I have isn't a good one. The Winchesters have a flat point, which snag the feed ramp when under the heavy tension of the 32-round mags. When chambering, they catch and jam the bullets back into the cases. Dummy rounds with pointy/round tips feed OK under same tension.

The 10-rounders and the 20-rounders work fine, as do the 32s if they're short-loaded to 25

Was trying to prep for yet another protest night. We're supposed to have another one tonight, the 4th night in a row here...literally out my front door, as we live directly across the street from the 26th Police District HQ in Fishtown, Philadelphia.

You may know us, as we're the neighborhood full of racist, white-supremacist "vigilantes" :rolleyes:

I wasn't part of that group they mention, as I was standing in front of my home with friends and family. the group they mention was across the opposite corner. They were not too unruly and they openly stated that they were there to protect the neighborhood and even the police officers in case things got out of hand like they had in other parts of the city. Yes, they did have bats and the like, and did yell and tear up a couple BLM signs, but they were far from the lynch mob they were made out to be...but, that's the media for you.

And before I get the comments about an untested (for all intents and purposes) weapon for defense, it's not a primary weapon...Pretty much everything is getting loaded.

We're on Day 4 of nightly protests. Without getting into Minefield-esque discussion, I figure they're going to keep trying until someone strikes the match...

Aqulaung

"The Real Deal"
I run the 115 round noses in mine, i load the extreme bullets both round nose and hp for mine with w231. Something you may look into is the lula magazine loader for the colt smg mags. They really work well and save your thumbs. I leave them loaded, seems to help with the stiffness. The round noses seem to run flawless in the ar 9's. I use the ASC mags the steel ones.

Stay safe and loaded, i hope things go peacefully for you my friend. Its a shame you dont have a few claymores for the perimeter of your house. or bouncing bettys. (y)

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I run the 115 round noses in mine, i load the extreme bullets both round nose and hp for mine with w231. Something you may look into is the lula magazine loader for the colt smg mags. They really work well and save your thumbs. I leave them loaded, seems to help with the stiffness. The round noses seem to run flawless in the ar 9's. I use the ASC mags the steel ones.

Stay safe and loaded, i hope things go peacefully for you my friend. Its a shame you dont have a few claymores for the perimeter of your house. or bouncing bettys. (y)
Thanks...didn't know there was a Lula loader for the SMG mags, my standard one doesn't work...I'll see if I can find one.

My 32-round mags are ASC steel ones and my 20s and 10s look like they are ASC (completely identical), but are stamped AR Stoner (so probably made by ASC for Midway, who stamped them with their branding).

I think I have some CCI Blazer Brass rounds with round noses. I may load 25 Winchesters and then top off with the PMCs.

Too many neighbors around for area weapons...and if deployed inside, I'll have a ton of sheetrock work to do...;)

Aqualung

"The Real Deal"
Thanks...didn't know there was a Lula loader for the SMG mags, my standard one doesn't work...I'll see if I can find one.

My 32-round mags are ASC steel ones and my 20s and 10s look like they are ASC (completely identical), but are stamped AR Stoner (so probably made by ASC for Midway, who stamped them with their branding).

I think I have some PMC Brass rounds with round noses. I may load 20 Winchesters and then top off with the PMCs.

Too many neighbors around for area weapons...and if deployed inside, I'll have a ton of sheetrock work to do...;)

Aqualung
Let me see if i can find you a link.. here is my rock river 9mm carbine.

"The Real Deal"

Here you go...

My mags are a mixture of old C products, and asc works with both very well.

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #16

Here you go...

My mags are a mixture of old C products, and asc works with both very well.
Thanks. I found one I think I'll order.

Got lucky so far...no protesters tonight.

Aqualung

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #17

"The Real Deal"
Nice. I'm thinking this'll be a nice carbine if the novelty of its being a pistol wears off.

Aqualung
Yes could be. You pick up a bit of velocity with the 16 barrel over the shorty. Still not a long distance setup but 100 yards holds 4 to 5 moa.

Registered
Hirschj盲ger
Discussion Starter #20
Nice Ruger pistol, Aqualung!
I just ordered a lower and a lower pistol kit to start an AR9 pistol build.

What buffer weight and spring are you using?
Stay safe!
The buffer I used was the standard 9mm buffer that Midway carries. It needs to be heavier than a standard AR carbine buffer. However, I used a standard carbine buffer spring.

Recoil was very tame and the brass was tossed very clear to about 4:00.

Good luck with your build.

Aqualung

1 - 20 of 30 Posts