Ruger Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
The buffer I used was the standard 9mm buffer that Midway carries. It needs to be heavier than a standard AR carbine buffer. However, I used a standard carbine buffer spring.

Recoil was very tame and the brass was tossed very clear to about 4:00.

Good luck with your build.

Aqualung
Yeah heavy buffer, my bcg also has weight installed in the rear of it secured by a roll pin.

I woukd also recommend a bolt carrier that is ramped on the bottom, which allows the use of just about every trigger on the market. The original colt design requires a 9mm specific hammer or 9mm specific fire control group, will not work with many others. Mine is the old style, but one day want to upgrade to the ramped version, rock river arms sells both.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,819 Posts
I have cheap red dot on my AR9 carbine. Last time out we had a 9” steel plate set at 100 yards and it was pretty easy to ring it no matter who in our group was shooting It. We moved the plates in to 40 yards and it became almost boring that close. A really fun gun.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
I have cheap red dot on my AR9 carbine. Last time out we had a 9” steel plate set at 100 yards and it was pretty easy to ring it no matter who in our group was shooting It. We moved the plates in to 40 yards and it became almost boring that close. A really fun gun.
i just went with irons on mine since normally just shoot 50 yards or closer with mine, but the 10" steel is pretty simple at 100 yards. Had an eotech on mine once but was moved to another rifle.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I ventured into the red dot/reflex sight field with this project. It's a Tru-Glo reflex with a lot of options in red or green...not super-cheap, but reasonably inexpensive. Looks like it'll be pretty fun to use and is decent, entry-level quality. I did get a set of irons, too, but didn't mount them.

Right now, I have it bore-sighted to about 30 feet...the length of my hallway...

For TucsonDirt:
As for Tacky's suggestions about the 9mm bolt, mine also has added weight to the rear but is "ramped". In my search for a new (correct) bolt, I've found that those with added ramps are more common than those that are not. Just be sure you get the right style for your build (Glock or Colt, learn from my mistake). Also, if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask...the folks here are a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Aqualung

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
For TucsonDirt:
As for Tacky's suggestions about the 9mm bolt, mine also has added weight to the rear but is "ramped". In my search for a new (correct) bolt, I've found that those with added ramps are more common than those that are not. Just be sure you get the right style for your build (Glock or Colt, learn from my mistake). Also, if you have questions, don't be afraid to ask...the folks here are a wealth of knowledge and experience.

Aqualung
Thanks! I plan to get a Foxtrot Mike upper with bcg, with a standard AR lower and Endomags or a magwell block. The lower and a pistol lower parts kit are on their way, I’ll get the upper in a little while.
FM recommends their 6.5 oz buffer but they’re sold out, so I’m looking for alternatives. Not in a hurry as it’s too hot now in AZ to shoot outdoors.

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
That looks like a good “get the hell offa me” gun. Handy to have in the back seat .....
Last week, as I was trying to get home to my wife from camp while protests were going on, literally on my front step, I thought it might be pressed into service for just that purpose...

Aqualung

·
Registered
431 Posts
Last week, as I was trying to get home to my wife from camp while protests were going on, literally on my front step, I thought it might be pressed into service for just that purpose...

Aqualung
Yeah, I carry an AR pistol under my back seat for whatever purpose I might need. I’m depending on my carry gun to keep the zombies at bay until I can get to it. :)

·
Registered
Hirschjäger
711 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I run the 115 round noses in mine, i load the extreme bullets both round nose and hp for mine with w231. Something you may look into is the lula magazine loader for the colt smg mags. They really work well and save your thumbs. I leave them loaded, seems to help with the stiffness. The round noses seem to run flawless in the ar 9's. I use the ASC mags the steel ones.

Stay safe and loaded, i hope things go peacefully for you my friend. Its a shame you dont have a few claymores for the perimeter of your house. or bouncing bettys. (y)
Thanks...didn't know there was a Lula loader for the SMG mags, my standard one doesn't work...I'll see if I can find one.

My 32-round mags are ASC steel ones and my 20s and 10s look like they are ASC (completely identical), but are stamped AR Stoner (so probably made by ASC for Midway, who stamped them with their branding).

I think I have some CCI Blazer Brass rounds with round noses. I may load 25 Winchesters and then top off with the PMCs.

Too many neighbors around for area weapons...and if deployed inside, I'll have a ton of sheetrock work to do...;)

Aqualung

Here you go...

My mags are a mixture of old C products, and asc works with both very well.
Thanks. I found one I think I'll order.

Got lucky so far...no protesters tonight.

Aqualung
Tacky, got my loader on Friday (Happy Birthday to me!) from Midway, benefiting from free shipping and B-Day discount.

This thing is great! These Lula Loaders are wonderful! I've got this one, the one for AR mags and the UpLula loader for handgun mags.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Aqualung

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
Tacky, got my loader on Friday (Happy Birthday to me!) from Midway, benefiting from free shipping and B-Day discount.

This thing is great! These Lula Loaders are wonderful! I've got this one, the one for AR mags and the UpLula loader for handgun mags.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Aqualung
No problem. For uzi mags, colt smg, and sten mags for the mac 10 require a lula loader or you will never get to top capacity. Worth every penny.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts