Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if any of you get as miffed as I do about the warning Ruger puts on its gun barrels? I know that legal department says they should have it there but I don't like it. Sooo, with a few flex files and some sandpaper I have removed mine. As soon as I can get the stupid camera working. I'll take pix. The only problem with removing the warning is the barrel looked better than the rest of the gun. Problem solved, polish the whole thing. So I now have a fully polished Super Blackhawk Hunter. Couple more buffings and it will look like nickle. Hate to touch it because of the finger prints.
That's my thought for the day.:cool:

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yup, me too. I really dislike all the lawyerspeak on a good handgun. I'm thinking of going the other way though. I'm thinking about softening the edges for a carry bevel and then beadblasting my SP 101 for a matte finish as well.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
540 Posts
Step right up and get your spam!!! Was posted over in the Minefield, as well.
Methinks loveumaryii needs a little whack with the ban stick...

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was reading the thread there and for a minute thought I had completely lost my mind.

Weird spam.

Doesn't he know I play Guild Wars and not WoW? The nerve of some people...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Wonder what Ruger would do or say about a gun that came back in for service with this "improvement" done? Sure does look a lot nicer though.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wonder what Ruger would do or say about a gun that came back in for service with this "improvement" done? Sure does look a lot nicer though.
I'm not sure but I would think that as long as the internals of the gun were not altered to the point of changing the function of the gun, Ruger would not care.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I'd love to have the warning polished off of my gp-100 but I like the plain, not too shiny look of the stainless steel.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Yes, I did these myself. The safest way to do it is with sand paper. Start with a course grit (220) to remove the warning and then to progressively finer grit to get the finish you want. You can do it by hand but it will take a little longer.

If you want a polished finish you will need to buff it with something like Polish O Ray with a muslin buffing wheel on a bench grinder.

·
Registered
670 Posts
or just rub it down with a 3M Scotchbrite pad, it will 'subdue' even matte the finish as much as you want, just like the "shiny" it can go as far as one likes it to be, as said above, almost looks like 'nickel' ( or is that 'nickle...'??) Either way, looks much nicer 'sans' script...........nice job guys.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts