Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Chig's does some fantastic work, couple of Bisley sets he did for me waiting for install. I sent him some 1970s medallions he installed for me. I too HATE that hideous bright polish SS, I like the brushed finish, your revolver finish very nice. Is it similar to the Hawkeye rifle finish Ruger did?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looks sharp!

Always though that would look good on my 45acp Birdshead too, yours sure does. I actually like most finishes 'for variety' but blued & brushed-(to touch up easily) are my top ones. Not fond of black myself but maybe it depends on the gun & finish quality.

Have a rifle & 3 revolvers in satin and like looks of them alot! Great job.

Did it add any noticeable weight? Though that gun should still feel nice regardless, as far as handling.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hate to be a negative Nancy but I tried a bead blast finish years ago,,,,, and never again.
It became almost impossible to clean as the oil washed carbon down in the pits and it always looked smudgy .
Plus, it scratched very fast and easy. Even holsters left marks on it. Witness how fast you get a turn line the first time you shoot it.
I ended up rubbing it out with a scotch brite and taking it back to brushed.
Hope you have better luck with it than I did .

·
Registered
316 Posts
Bought this .45acp cylinder to make a .45acp out of my 45lc birdshead in order to use small primer acp brass. Had to upgrade to a bigger base pin to remove the slop that was putting the cylinder in a bind but got it working. Need to shorten the front of the pin so the cylinder can be removed. The cylinder turned out to be matt finish while the revolver is polished. Added blackhawk hammers to all my Vaqueros too.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks sharp!

Always though that would look good on my 45acp Birdshead too, yours sure does. I actually like most finishes 'for variety' but blued & brushed-(to touch up easily) are my top ones. Not fond of black myself but maybe it depends on the gun & finish quality.

Have a rifle & 3 revolvers in satin and like looks of them alot! Great job.

Did it add any noticeable weight? Though that gun should still feel nice regardless, as far as handling.
That’s why I got the blued model. What you’re trying for is called an “eggshell” finish. It’s the way to carry a SS rifle barrel in the woods, hunting Big Game.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hate to be a negative Nancy but I tried a bead blast finish years ago,,,,, and never again.
It became almost impossible to clean as the oil washed carbon down in the pits and it always looked smudgy .
Plus, it scratched very fast and easy. Even holsters left marks on it. Witness how fast you get a turn line the first time you shoot it.
I ended up rubbing it out with a scotch brite and taking it back to brushed.
Hope you have better luck with it than I did .
Time will tell. Sharing your experience is not really being negative, so thanks for sharing.

I really didn't like the glossy finish it had, so I wanted to at least give it a try. I had a friend who had good luck with the same type finish by using Renaissance Wax Polish, which I use on my other guns, so we'll see if I do as well as my friend.

·
Registered
215 Posts
This thread reminds me that I'd like to have a stainless finish (maybe Cerakote) applied to my 45ACP cylinder that I finally installed on my KBN44. Would beadblasting the cylinder before the Cerakote improve the durability of the finish?

Revolver Trigger Air gun Finger Gun barrel

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Okay, it's a personal preference, but I do not like shiny nickel or stainless. I finally had a friend bead blast my Birdshead .45 ACP revolver and I love the look.
I think the satin finish just causes my redwood burl grips from Chad at Chig's Grips to pop.

View attachment 163553
Not a fan of the duller finish, but everyone has their personal preferences!
Do really like the way it makes those grips pop though...very sharp-looking overall!

And now I really want a Bird's Head in .45 Colt...dang, and I'm short on $$!

·
Registered
896 Posts
This thread reminds me that I'd like to have a stainless finish (maybe Cerakote) applied to my 45ACP cylinder that I finally installed on my KBN44. Would beadblasting the cylinder before the Cerakote improve the durability of the finish?
Forget the short-term solution Cerakote offers.
Talk to these guys for a permanent fix. If just doing a cylinder probably a somewhat similar cost.
They have a couple of different finishes so just ask what matches brushed or polished stainless the best.

Firearm Plating -Mahovsky's Metalife (mahovskysmetalife.com)

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Howdy All :

I had three NM 9mm Cylinders plated by Mahovsky. His prices are reasonable, his
turnaround time was VERY fast, and the resulting finish on all three cylinders was
EXCELLENT ! They matched the stainless brushed finish quite well, and proved to
be very durable.

SiGUNSMITH

·
Registered
215 Posts
Which plating process did you choose? Looks like most of the guns on the brag board have a Metalife Hard Chrome Plating.
Do you recall the turn-around time and cost?
Did the cylinders still fit and function correctly as the coating is 0.0005"?

Metalife Hard Chrome Plating
Matte Electroless Nickel Plating
Bright Nickel Plating
Nickel Boron Plating

·
Registered
66 Posts
Howdy Mr. Oldwolf :

I had them finished in the Metalife Hard Chrome Plating - I talked with the fellow there, and,
it seemed to be the best finish for matching Stainless Steel, and was the most corrosion
resistant.

I had three cylinders plated, he quoted $ 25,00 each, so I sent the package with an engraved
portrait of Ben Franklin in an envelope with the cylinders to cover the price plusshipping and
handling.

Turnaround time was about four weeks, door to door.

The cylinders still functioned perfectly, seated 9mm parabellum rounds with no problems,
and worked in the Blackhawks I tried them in with no problems. One of them is down in
Arizona punching neat 9mm holes in targets even as I write this - I sold the blackhawk to a
friend who always wanted one.

SiGUNSMITH

1 - 20 of 20 Posts