Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally able to shake out new blued Ruger Birdshead SA today, (m5154). That was a bunch of FUN!

This is a great little gun all around, surprised how recoil is so very light in a 45. Did not shoot for accuracy as just wanted to get a feel for function & handling etc., while shooting off-hand.

Dead center & solid primer strikes. Action worked great, just using older factory Winchester 230g ammo that wanted to cycle out of inventory.

This ammo generally shot low at 10 yards but will begin getting to know fixed sight revolver and finding what it likes and will eventually handload for it. Will experiment more with different factory rounds too.

I love revolvers!

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Congratulations on a fun shooter. My first birdshead was the stainless version of the same gun and it triggered a strong interest in the birdsheads that persists to this day. The 45ACP birdie is one of the most fun to shoot of them all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I sure like mine also-I have had good luck with my sights shooting high for all the different loads I tried-so I took a little off the top of the front sight-that did it.

:D

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Beware birds head grip single actions are very addictive. I even own one in a colt clone though I had the dual notched base pin put in.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Beautiful six-guns guys!, thanks for sharing and input. Yes, they are highly appealing, in so many ways.

Am a little concerned about how much I like them. Oh boy. Have a 44 stainless and already thinking of other calibers. Yet will spend alot of time with these 2.

I suspect lighter bullets will be a natural match for this existing sight 'as is' and this is most certainly fine by me.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I fell hard for the birdsheads and for a while started to collect as many as I found - 45ACP, 45 Colt in stainless and blue, 45 Colt heavy frame in stainless and blue, 357 stainless and the 44 Mag stainless. Yikes! Then I started my own variations and I'm still at it. I liked them all but found the 44 Mag just a little unpleasant for my tastes. Woulda been fine with 44 Specials I'm sure. In the end I decided I liked my own Frankenrugers the best and now I just have the ones I put together. Kinda wish I'd kept that 45ACP at times. That was a lot of fun to shoot along with a 1911. If Ruger ever did a convertible birdshead in 45 I'd have to get one.

·
One Star
9,735 Posts
Those are some very nice looking Birdheads revolvers members,congrats to you all.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks! Am falling for them, can already see that. Sleek handling, strong, well engineered and gorgeous little revolvers.

On 44, was thinking low-end loads for sure, considering nice size of grip frame. Yet for me, mostly shooting original 45 cal type ballistics l.

Was reading Iowagan's great post on adjusting fixed sights, if any of mine need filing have no problem with doing that. With filing or not filing, am already looking for 'nicely done' ideas of contrasting front sight from rear sight?. For an easier sight picture once settled on load(s).

One idea might be a very small brass bead, but would like to entertain less invasive measures as well or just refinishing may be fine depending on eye sight.

Also, another advantage of falling for pretty birdys, is that its perhaps possible to find different favorite loads for each 😉 gun. Even more fun. Will have to go where they take me.

Finally, enjoy a variety of durable finishes, blue & ss of course, yet not opposed to different hardened-industrial bead blast colors and even color case as well.

Pretty obvious, have been thinking about them. But am not really a machinist when it comes to the custom work have been admiring.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
What I've found helps for sight contrast but avoids the easy nail-polish-on-the-front-sight trick is to serrate the rear of the front sight using a 50 point checkering file (Brownells). You may need to give the rear of the front sight an angle first (kinda looks like a shark fin) and some of the newer birdsheads have this already (44 Mag?)

This front sight was done by Gary Reeder so I can't take credit. I think it's pretty sexy.

I did the shark fin shape and serrated the back edge on this Single Six.

This is actually a Blackhawk front sight but the same applies.

The shiny front sight blade on a shiny birdshead is hard for my eyes. Not much better than black on black. The serration breaks up the shine and makes it a little easier. In the end though I have to admit I see adjustable sights better. But I refuse to give up my fixed sight single actions and I just accept I may not shoot them as well. Still a lot of fun.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On 44 stainless, yes it came with fin shaped, serrated front site unlike the paired blue 45acp. Will have fun with'em and thanks! Looks like some welding with your target site when still in the white, cool. I dont mind FS either, a good challenge. Would prob get 1 AS if ever available, but MAY not be quite as sexy. Ruger doing a wonderful job with these.

20190826_140803_1566850682054.jpg

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ps: WAVEFORM, ....put my foot in mouth re: Adj Sight, Ha! Just saw your 3 Birds on Sticky.... wonderful custom work on your Nest! In fact, I just turned a shade of green:) Can see a bit of detail in each gun, great work.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
ps: WAVEFORM, ....put my foot in mouth re: Adj Sight, Ha! Just saw your 3 Birds on Sticky.... wonderful custom work on your Nest! In fact, I just turned a shade of green:) Can see a bit of detail in each gun, great work.
Thanks SA45. They're addictive buggers and I have a lot of fun tinkering on them. I like to have one project bubbling on a back burner and it's usually a birdshead of some type.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... can really appreciate that WAVEFORM. Also found slideshow fabricating from other guns exactly the way you want guns customized - and as SANDOG did w/ 45s. Lots of extra enjoyment in that. I love tinkering in this way, besides custom loads in between projects. Have enjoyed a few projects, but birds are different.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As we are getting closer to winter project time plus on downhill slide of primary hunting seasons, have these plus a few other handloading & grip projects on frontburner.

Yet have been thinking mostly about these Birdsheads(attached). The trigger and hammer actions are perfect for me already but will clean up any burrs. Will measure throats and forcing cones first to see if any attention there is needed.

But will look at customizing ideas to consider after that. Am open to ideas and how to, etc. Can't wait and plan on shooting them alot, the Birdsheads definitely have my primary focus....

20190828_121916_1574098551879.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts