Ruger Forum banner

Ruger Black Powder Rifle

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Corndog 
#1 ·
I bought two or three Ruger black powder rifles in 50 calibers a few years back never shoot them.
Anyone ever shoots one, if you have how was it shoot?

#4 ·
Have a stainless one, it is still unfired. Had a blue one that I fired and actually enjoyed shooting it. Used Pyrodex pellets, bore butter and sabot bullets. Cheaper than dirt had the stainless cheaper than what I paid for the blue one at a LGS, sold it and ordered the stainless. Shipped right to the house.
Nickel Metal Bicycle part Musical instrument Gun barrel

#6 ·
I had one, basic wood and blued. Wouldn't ignite all the time with #11 caps unless I used real BP. Pyrodex was iffy. Bought a kit from Cabelas if I remember correctly to turn it into 209 primer ignition, and after using it awhile it messed something up. Im sorry guys, Im getting old and can't remember exactly what happened with it, but I do remember it messed something up. So I switched back to the #11 caps and eventually sold it. But it was a great gun if you used real BP.

#10 ·
@ruger77338mag

I checked with a buddy that is really into black powder. He said the ML 209 primers are dimensionally the same as shotgun primers but not as hot. His thoughts are the ML versions are more accurate.

My guess is either would work and it’s marketing. They are cheap enough I get the ML version. 🤔

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.