Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just walked in a pawn shop this morning and somehow, this blackhawk was yelling at me for the case!. As I got closer to it, it turned out to be a nice LNIB 357 Maximum! I just couldn't pass it up. I've never seen one, only read about them. I'm going to research them but what inside info do you guys have? Any idea what the value would be today? Thanks guys for a great forum.
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel
Revolver Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only issue I’m aware of is
There was some flame cutting on the top strap.
It was generally caused by hot rodding lighter weigh bullets and a lot of rounds down the barrel at very high velocities.
Most do not have this problem.
But it pays to look before buying.
Great Find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
385 Posts
Search and contact jack "coogs" here or on the ROCS forum for the real-life expert on the SRM guns. He also likely knows who/where from whence it came. He keeps an index of these models.

Excellent hunting revolver, never to be supported again nor made again by Ruger.
Look for heavy bullet ammo but shy away from light bullet ball powder ammo.
I've taken deer thru-and-thru with 180 gr Speer bullets. Easily a favorite, I always keep an eye out for another 7.5" 🤠

·
Registered
875 Posts
I second contacting Jack Coogan ( aka Coogs). He keeps a log of all the serial numbers, and has done extensive research on the variations of the different guns. He also owns a large collection of these, and offers a 2 for one deal for certain serial numbers. If your gun has a serial number that he is looking for, he will trade you 2 maxes for yours.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I just walked in a pawn shop this morning and somehow, this blackhawk was yelling at me for the case!. As I got closer to it, it turned out to be a nice LNIB 357 Maximum! I just couldn't pass it up. I've never seen one, only read about them. I'm going to research them but what inside info do you guys have? Any idea what the value would be today? Thanks guys for a great forum. View attachment 161209 View attachment 161209
Andy,

Welcome to the MAX club.
When you can find one around here, they are bringing about $1000 to $1200.
I try to stay above 170 grains for bullets in mine. I am getting ready to try some 180 gr Speers in mine. I think Penn makes some 200 grain hard cast bullets for it, also.

Enjoy

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Andy,

Welcome to the MAX club.
When you can find one around here, they are bringing about $1000 to $1200.
I try to stay above 170 grains for bullets in mine. I am getting ready to try some 180 gr Speers in mine. I think Penn makes some 200 grain hard cast bullets for it, also.

Enjoy
Thanks Trainking, I am searching for ammo at the moment but I think I got a good lead on some.

·
Registered
11,564 Posts
I think the Remington factory ammo was loaded with 158 grain JHP. I am not aware of a factory loading that had a heavier bullet, but then I am old and senile. LOL! You really need to use a heavier bullet.
old and senile? I don't think so ... just well used and worn ...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice find. Starline makes brass although out of stock at the moment. Stay away from fast ball powders pushing light bullets at warp speed and you’ll be fine. I used 4227 in mine along with 180 gr bullets when I had them. There were factory loads in 180 too. Rem , Win , and Federal all made them.

My opinion of the Max is that it’s made for a reloader nowadays. Factory ammo is scarce and expensive and yu can tune out the original so called issues by loading your own. The Max btw is equal to a 44 in energy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
i always wanted one of these when they came out,could never afford one. walked in a local gun shop couple months ago and they had two a 7and half inch and a ten inch. The seven inch looked unfired and came with the original box and papers plus a box of remington ammo and fifty new brass. Paid 1150 for it really like it ,but probably won't shoot it. Was one of my grail guns and am really happy to have it. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I love the .357 Max round and shoot it out of a 14" TC Contender. It shoots more like a rifle than a pistol. Most of the Rugers and TC's had barrel twists that you would think would be more suited to 200 gr. bullets, since most of the guns were used for shooting silhouette. However, being one who cannot leave well enough alone, I have loaded mine with everything from 110 JHP's to 200 gr. and found my pistol shoots the tiny bullets very well indeed! No flame cutting in a single shot, of course, but from everything I've read over the years, the cutting in a revolver will get down to a certain point and then go no further, no matter what weight bullet, or load, or how many are fired.
One thing I can say for certain, if you push a 1500 fps, 125 gr. JHP out of a barrel at 2600 fps, what that bullet will do to a rabbit could easily be considered a crime against rabbithood! Wow!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
43 Posts
Either sell ir or put in box and sit on it...the Rem Max will erode top strap...rare gun, however...IMO

Reactions: andyb
1 - 20 of 22 Posts