Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone fired the RUGER BLACKHAWK (CARRYHAWK) .45ACP 4" WILEY CLAPP (TALO)? it's a nice looking pistol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Did you have him fit the grips to the frame, or just screw them on. From what little I can see, they look like they fit well. Nice choice of material too.
No, I didn't send my frame in, but Chad pretty much nailed the frame size. I really like the look of the spalted maple with the flat black finish of the Carryhawk.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
Is the barrel length on those 4" or the typical 4-5/8"? It looks like 4-5/8" to me but I've heard it called 4" a few places. 4" would mean a special ejector rod housing and rod length so I'm curious to what extent they went with unique parts on this configuration. It that the factory base pin or aftermarket?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is the barrel length on those 4" or the typical 4-5/8"? It looks like 4-5/8" to me but I've heard it called 4" a few places. 4" would mean a special ejector rod housing and rod length so I'm curious to what extent they went with unique parts on this configuration. It that the factory base pin or aftermarket?
It's 4 5/8". The only thing I can figure out is whoever did the original writeup didn't know much about single actions and measured just the exposed barrel. I marked the dimensions on a photo of my Carryhawk before I changed grips:

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
It's 4 5/8". The only thing I can figure out is whoever did the original writeup didn't know much about single actions and measured just the exposed barrel. I marked the dimensions on a photo of my Carryhawk before I changed grips:
OK - it looked like 4-5/8" but wasn't sure. Makes sense to use standard parts where possible. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,583 Posts
I love this one. It looks like a good shooter too. Some descriptions say it is a 4 in. Barrel. That photo is good one. Our LGS just stocked several of these. Looks worth looking at for me. Thanks for the data.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm mad can't find Ruger convertible anywhere I think it's a conspiracy and the ffl dealers are charging like there made out of gold.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,820 Posts
It could be TALO's initial order was small or only partially produced with more on the way. Right now gun inventories are low in general so it's a seller's market and prices are tending to be higher on just about anything. The Carryhawk strikes me as a niche market gun so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It could be TALO's initial order was small or only partially produced with more on the way. Right now gun inventories are low in general so it's a seller's market and prices are tending to be higher on just about anything. The Carryhawk strikes me as a niche market gun so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. Good luck in your quest.
I don't know but Ruger should put out more Convertibles. Right now convertibles are like chickens teeth, I going to find one here in a week and get it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I snagged one on gunbroker, 759, which I thought was reasonable. Been seeing them as high as 900. Gave up looking for a 0475, although Jason at Lipseys said they expect another run in August or September. Might switch this over to a bisley rip frame.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I snagged one on gunbroker, 759, which I thought was reasonable. Been seeing them as high as 900. Gave up looking for a 0475, although Jason at Lipseys said they expect another run in August or September. Might switch this over to a bisley rip frame.
the Bisley is what I started with I might go back to it

·
Registered
39 Posts
Picked mine up today. Cleaned and oiled. Can't shoot until Thursday.
DRELLER, had a couple questions sir? Any issues with the Belt Mountain pin? Enough room for disassembly?
What is the proper sight picture? Front ball on top of the rear line, or centered in the V? How much does it change (poi) from 45acp to 45lc?
Finish is pretty lame. Already a heavy turn line and not fired yet.
First birdshead grip. Not crazy on the balance. Thinking of changing it over to a bisley grip frame.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Picked mine up today. Cleaned and oiled. Can't shoot until Thursday.
DRELLER, had a couple questions sir? Any issues with the Belt Mountain pin? Enough room for disassembly?
What is the proper sight picture? Front ball on top of the rear line, or centered in the V? How much does it change (poi) from 45acp to 45lc?
Finish is pretty lame. Already a heavy turn line and not fired yet.
First birdshead grip. Not crazy on the balance. Thinking of changing it over to a bisley grip frame.
Mike56, no issues with the base pin....it is however a Power Custom Keith #5 and not a Belt Mountain pin. No issues with disassembly. I have a Ruger Birds Head Vaquero in 45 ACP, so I actually have not used the 45 ACP Carryhawk cylinder to compare the POI between the two calibers. I rested the big dot front sight in the V notch of the rear, like you would a put golf ball in the bowl of a golf tee....which worked out for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts