Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the Ruger BX-Trigger worth it? Reading some reviews it gets mixed marks due to being a polymer trigger guard still among other things. Anyone have a better option?

·
Registered
496 Posts
I've tried the BX trigger and don't care for it. Went with Kidd as CDR did. Night and day difference and so much worth the extra. IMHO, save up, if need be, and get the Kidd. Buy once, cry once.;):)

There's been multiple threads on this exact topic. You're going to get A LOT of love for the BX trigger. I just don't know how many have tried the Kidd, for example, and then gone back and said the BX was "all that".
1561221766216.jpg

·
Emperor
885 Posts
I have the KID single-stage complete trigger unit and I have the KID drop-in DIY trigger kit in a polymer Ruger 10/22 trigger assembly in another rifle.

The KID drop-in kit offers very nearly the quality of the KID single-stage trigger unit for a much lower price. It does require partial disassembly of the trigger group, but that is not difficult and there are multiple youtube demonstrating how to do that.

You could also consider sending your stock trigger assembly in to Brimstone Gunsmithing for their Tier 3 or Tier 2 trigger jobs. The Tier 2 trigger job is close enough in price (when the 2 way shipping is included) to that of the KID drop-in kit that I would go with the KID unit, unless you don't want to tackle the trigger group disassembly.

I have had Brimstone do Tier 2 and Tier 3 jobs on two other Ruger 10/22 trigger groups as well. The Tier 3 trigger job is an excellent value if you don't like the price of the KID drop-in kit.

I have never tried the Ruger BX trigger. I have heard many times that they vary in pull weight and quality from unit to unit. I know a lot of people like them. I have also heard a number of people say that they thought the Brimstone Tier 3 trigger was better than the BX trigger. But the Brimstone jobs do require you to send in your trigger group and wait a couple weeks or so for it to come back.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
+1 on the Brimstone Tier 2 trigger job. I have one in my 10/22 "Tactical" and it is a vast improvement over the stock trigger. I had a BX in another 10/22 and it's better than the OEM but not as good as the Brimstone.

BTW, the current "plastic" trigger housing happens to be both better and more precise than the older aluminum housings and just as durable. Brimstone themselves say they can get a better and more consistent trigger pull from the plastic housing than the aluminum housing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have several of the BX triggers and like them, I'm sure the KIDD is a good trigger as well but it costs more than my 10/22 did. :eek:
For my use, it works great. I especially like it in my Charger.

·
Emperor
885 Posts
A while back you were occasionally able to find the BX trigger at around $50 on sale, but the street price now seems to be running around $60.

The KID drop-in trigger kit costs $105 but if you have two Ruger 10/22s or if you have a friend who will go in with you, you can get the kits for $90 each if you order 2 or more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I like my BX trigger. It was worth it but my stock trigger was well worn. I've never tried other options.

The problem I have with my BX trigger is that I have another 10/22 and a model 96-22. If I've been shooting the BX trigger regularly and then I grab one of the others with the stock trigger I am likely to pull the shot. I've missed pigeons and sparrows because I was spoiled with the BX trigger.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love my BX trigger, It's a lot better then the factory trigger. I have not tested the other triggers, I really do not need it. I am not doing any precision rifle shooting.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Is the Ruger BX-Trigger worth it? Reading some reviews it gets mixed marks due to being a polymer trigger guard still among other things. Anyone have a better option?
I opted to have my original trigger assembly worked on by Brimstone than to buy a polymer trigger assembly ... mine is a sweet trigger pull ... i went with the tier 2 trigger mod from Brimstone ... well worth the money

·
Emperor
885 Posts
Of the different Ruger 10/22 triggers I have on my rifles I would rate them in the following order regarding quality:

KID single-stage complete trigger assembly >KID drop-in trigger kit mounted in Ruger polymer trigger housing>Brimstone Tier 2 trigger job on a stock polymer trigger group>Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job on a Ruger stock polymer trigger group>Ruger stock polymer trigger unit.

Of course, in terms of price put them in the opposite order. In my opinion, the best bang for the buck, depending on how many bucks you are willing to pay, is either the Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job, the Brimstone 2 trigger job, or the KID DIY drop-in trigger kit. The Brimstone Tier 3 trigger job is a big improvement over the stock trigger group and the Tier 2 trigger job or the KID DIY drop-in kit is a big improvement over the Tier 3 trigger job.

The Tier 2 trigger job requires you to send your trigger group to Brimstone and wait a couple or few weeks (as of now). You have some ability to decide the approximate trigger pull weight you desire but once you get it back the trigger pull weight will be what it is.

The KID drop-in trigger kit requires you to disassemble and reassemble your trigger group assembly, which is not very difficult. If you buy the KID trigger return spring trigger pull weight tuning kit, you have some ability to tailor and change your trigger pull weight which you don't have with the Brimstone 2 trigger job. The KID drop-in kit also has an adjustable over-travel stop screw and an adjustment screw on the sear to limit pre-travel. The Brimstone 2 trigger job includes an over-travel stop on the trigger blade, but it is not adjustable. In my opinion, the quality of the KID drop-in kit is slightly better than that of the Brimstone 2 trigger job, but it is very close. When you add in the cost of two-way shipping to and from Brimstone, the current price of the Brimstone 2 trigger job is very close to that of the KID drop-in kit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think it is a worthy trigger for plinking cans along the desert floor. Other than that it is just a gritty mushy trigger with a bunch if over travel and not a clean break. Sure it breaks lighter than the stock one, but lighter doesn't mean better.

Instead of a BX, I would look at a Hornet trigger.

Or do a Tandemkross ultimate Victory trigger kit with the Brimstone designed hammer and seer.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
My BX trigger is at least 10 times better than any of the 5 stock triggers I've had on my 10/22s, 10 times better.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I tried the BX, found it lighter but not really better than stock. Bought a Volquartsen for my 10-22 TD. Difference was night and day. The average 1 1/2" - 2" groups at 25 yards went down to 1/2". Better trigger, less jerk and creep. I don't have that rifle any more, but not sad it's gone. It was a birthday gift last year to a Viet Vet friend who is fighting cancer. He's keeping the rabbits out of his garden with it. Saving a few bucks for another Volquartsen for my current 10-22, and maybe my .22 Charger as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The BX trigger should have came stock with the 10/22, it's not an amazing trigger...it's an average quality standard rifle trigger. Instead Ruger chose to keep the awful stock 10/22 trigger in all their 10/22's. For me, I'll rather spend the money on a Volquartsen hammer kit, pretty much yields you similar results.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think it is a worthy trigger for plinking cans along the desert floor. Other than that it is just a gritty mushy trigger with a bunch if over travel and not a clean break. Sure it breaks lighter than the stock one, but lighter doesn't mean better.
I guess this explains it. I don't think anyone asked you what you were using your 10/22 for.

The BX trigger works very well for me. I use it for plinking/pest control. I'm used to the stock trigger and have never used other options.

It seems there are several better options for a target/bench rest rifle. It makes me smile when a BX is described as gritty and mushy. I have an excuse if I miss!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I guess this explains it. I don't think anyone asked you what you were using your 10/22 for.

The BX trigger works very well for me. I use it for plinking/pest control. I'm used to the stock trigger and have never used other options.

It seems there are several better options for a target/bench rest rifle. It makes me smile when a BX is described as gritty and mushy. I have an excuse if I miss!
Nope, nobody asked me what I use my 10/22's for, that's why I stayed on topic and only gave the OP my opinion of the trigger instead of going into what I use my rifles for.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 23 Posts