Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea on who is selling the ruger cans? I can't find any ruger dealers that have it.
When does it come out?

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
A Ruger toilet? Does it have a bullseye imprinted?

Sorry OP I'm not familiar with the term "can" as it relates to firearms.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I think the OP is talking about silencers for the 10/22

·
Registered
785 Posts
With impending rule changes coming, I could not wait any longer for the Ruger's to start showing up. Went with the a TacSol Axiom instead.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,684 Posts
Any dealer that sells a suppressor must have a Class 3 license ... which very few dealers have. I was really surprised when Ruger started making and selling suppressors. I would think the market for them would be extremely limited because customers would need a Class 3 tax stamp before they could purchase one. BTW, BATFE keeps a pretty tight lid on who gets Class 3 licenses or tax stamps.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
While I don't KNOW this to be fact............I doubt Ruger is actually making them. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to have somebody "brand" one as a Ruger silencer?

I know the review says manufactured by Ruger, but I wonder if that really means just "assembled" by Ruger?

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Find your local Class III dealer and have them do the leg work. They'd be the one to know the distribution for those. I know Lipsey's carries some suppressors and is a HUGE distributor for Ruger so I'd have your dealer start there.

Directly from Ruger's page on them: "It was designed and built by Ruger utilizing the very latest in fluid dynamic simulation and computer numeric controlled (CNC) machining equipment."

"Where can I purchase a Silent-SR™?
You may purchase a Silent-SR™ at your local Ruger® retailer who deals in items regulated under the National Firearms Act ("NFA"). Please note that not all retailers deal in NFA-regulated items"

·
Registered
3 Posts
Getting a suppressor is very easy, get a NFA trust, $150 get it notorised, go to the store that sells them and buy it. Wait 5 to 9 months and pick it up....

·
Registered
265 Posts
Seems like everybody and their brother is starting to make cans, because lots of "normal" (I don't actually know any normal people) are buying them now. One of the reasons is the transfer tax, which has always been $200, is now affordable. When they came up with the NFA in 1934, $200 was a LOT of money! A Ford Coupe cost a little over $500.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
For dealers to get them, they must first go on a form 3 for dealer to dealer transfer. I can only assume that this occurs from manufacturer to distributor as well. I've heard the current wait times for form 3's is about 5-7 weeks.

SO, assuming distributors have suppressors available, which they may or may not, it can take 5-7 weeks for them to even get them once ordered. Then the usual 7-9 months for a form 4 approval.

It may be a while yet before any forum members show up with one.

From what I've seen here there's only a handful of members (myself included) who are into suppressors anyway. I keep asking for an NFA sub-section in the forum but my requests seem to fall on deaf ears.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Find a class 3 FFl for title 2 weapons which include machine guns, short barrel rifles (SBR), short barrel shotguns(SBS), destructive devices(DD), any other weapon(AOW) and suppressors. All except AOW are $200 tax stamp to transfer after ATF background investigation the AOW are $5 stamp.

Some states dont allow certain weapons.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Adjusted for inflation the $200 it cost in 1934 is equal to $3500 abouts today. Back then even Democrats knew it was unConstitutional to ban them so they came up with this scheme to limit peoples access to the fun guns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts