Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Learned sumthin' else today. I knew Mr Wm B. Ruger liked and collected some of the older vintage European cars, but never knew he solicited the design and build of a vintage style car. Here is the excerpt from Wikapedia:
"Ruger also supported and commissioned the design and construction of a classically styled sports touring car in 1970 that he called the Ruger Special. It was based on the design of the 1929 Bentley 4.5 liter. He also designed and commissioned a 92-foot yacht, the Titania."

Anyone know if this car is still with us? Got any pictures?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Yeah, he built two actually, and they are still with us. He intended to sell them. There is a picture on page 99 of Ruger and His Guns by RL Wilson.

·
Registered
346 Posts
That is a snazzy roadster. Just wish they had mentioned what was under the hood. I could have missed it but what ever engine Ruger used I'll bet it was over engineered just like ever thing else he did.

Joe

·
Registered
3,588 Posts

This is the best pic I could find. It is a picture of a picture actually, a brochure on the Ruger car.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
quote:Originally posted by J Miller

That is a snazzy roadster. Just wish they had mentioned what was under the hood. I could have missed it but what ever engine Ruger used I'll bet it was over engineered just like ever thing else he did.

Joe
Again, according to Ruger and His Guns on page 98, the car used a 427 V-8 Ford engine, Monroe shocks, Bendix brakes, and a double walled fiberglass body.

·
Registered
346 Posts
gunman42782,

I need a seeing eye cat or something. I looked and looked and missed that totally.

I'll bet that thing went like a bat outta hades with that engine in it.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts