Ruger Forum banner

Ruger Commander question

993 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  LarryNBoise 
#1 ·
New to this forum but active on several others. I have a SR1911 commander with what I thought was an anodized aluminum frame but it is steel. Serial number shows it was made in 2014. Was it a Ruger special run or Lipsey's or Talo? Seen lots of SR1911's but never one like this. Pictures aren't real good so might have to try to get better ones tomorrow.

See less See more
#9 ·
This is an all steel Commander that TALO commissioned. It is all stainless steel, that has been nitrided to turn it black and give it even better corrosion resistance.

Font Rectangle Trigger Wheel Gun barrel

When I bought it, they had several silver, stainless, all steel guns of Commander length too. The light weight aluminum lowers came along later in the series.

#18 ·
This is an all steel Commander that TALO commissioned. It is all stainless steel, that has been nitrided to turn it black and give it even better corrosion resistance.

View attachment 187961

When I bought it, they had several silver, stainless, all steel guns of Commander length too. The light weight aluminum lowers came along later in the series.
I would nickname that one Black Beauty! If it ever gives you any reason to send it out to pasture...... I'll make room!!!!

#10 ·
Corndog, I think this is what you have which was an exclusive run that even was sold by Bud's Guns.. Check the photos and see Model 06700C specs and see if this may not be the same. Steel framed cerakote in a platinum looking frame and black slide. It took some research, but I think this is very close to what you have.

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Font Gun accessory

Azure Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

Reactions: gwpercle
#14 · (Edited)
Corndog, I think this is what you have which was an exclusive run that even was sold by Bud's Guns.. Check the photos and see Model 06700C specs and see if this may not be the same. Steel framed cerakote in a platinum looking frame and black slide. It took some research, but I think this is very close to what you have.

View attachment 187962
View attachment 187963
Nope, mine is a TALO Nightwatchman. Model number 06708. It is nitrided, not Cerakote. Nitriding is a chemical hardening process similar to what Glock and SIG uses on their slides. It came from Ruger with Novak style, tritium night-sights on it. They made full size and commander frame models. I’m not sure if Ruger still catalogs it anymore.

Cerakote is a proprietary high-end paint type coating that is baked on the gun at relatively low temperatures. Cerakote comes in a bunch of colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.