Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next time you read someone's rant about how their new Ruger didn't work right and they sent it in to Ruger and Ruger didn't fix it right and they will never buy another Ruger again because they turn out too much junk...

Here is a true story I overheard while at the LGS I go to. While I was at the store, Ruger called the owner about a gun he'd sent in for customer. They said they couldn't fix his gun and they would send a new one to replace it. The owner called the customer. He didn't want the replacement. He just didn't trust that gun any more. The owner called Ruger back. They said the customer could have any other current production Ruger instead. (Yes, they actually said this. I was there).

Incredibly, when given this news by the LGS owner, the customer said no, he was through with Ruger. He just wanted a refund so he could use the money towards a different brand of gun he would order from the LGS (why he didn't ask for an SR762, or something else that's expensive, is beyond me).

It gets better, though. The LGS owner then told Ruger that he would give the customer his refund, and asked if Ruger would send him, the dealer, the replacement rifle, as he had a customer in mind who would buy it. And Ruger said... yes, of course we will do that.

Wow.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Nice. ... ;)

·
Registered
330 Posts
What I like is that I've never had to deal with Ruger customer service. Mine work fine. Works for me but good to know they are there

·
Registered
27 Posts
What a great story. I love Rugers, it is the only gun I will buy...very dependable.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
went into my LGS after having lost my 2 LCR9 moon clips at the range, looking to buy/order replacements after striking out everywhere on the internet, this was Jan 2015 and i dont think Ruger had distributed much in the way of "extra" clips.

they are a Ruger dealer, manager called Ruger and within a couple minutes had another pair of them headed to his shop... "free of charge".

so i bought a couple boxes of slightly over-priced ammo to ease my guilty conscience.

·
Registered
9,686 Posts
You can't make this stuff up. WTG RUGER!

·
Registered
4,746 Posts
Next time you read someone's rant about how their new Ruger didn't work right and they sent it in to Ruger and Ruger didn't fix it right and they will never buy another Ruger again because they turn out too much junk...

Here is a true story I overheard while at the LGS I go to. While I was at the store, Ruger called the owner about a gun he'd sent in for customer. They said they couldn't fix his gun and they would send a new one to replace it. The owner called the customer. He didn't want the replacement. He just didn't trust that gun any more. The owner called Ruger back. They said the customer could have any other current production Ruger instead. (Yes, they actually said this. I was there).

Incredibly, when given this news by the LGS owner, the customer said no, he was through with Ruger. He just wanted a refund so he could use the money towards a different brand of gun he would order from the LGS (why he didn't ask for an SR762, or something else that's expensive, is beyond me).

It gets better, though. The LGS owner then told Ruger that he would give the customer his refund, and asked if Ruger would send him, the dealer, the replacement rifle, as he had a customer in mind who would buy it. And Ruger said... yes, of course we will do that.

Wow.
While Ruger went the extra mile by replacing the tifle, it sounds like the gun shop did a great job too.

Sounds like they directly gave the customer his money back so he wouldn't have to wait. (which will keep him coming back.)

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
While Ruger went the extra mile by replacing the tifle, it sounds like the gun shop did a great job too.

Sounds like they directly gave the customer his money back so he wouldn't have to wait. (which will keep him coming back.)
True. The owner of the store involved has some very loyal customers, probably in large part due to the service he gives them.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
While Ruger went the extra mile by replacing the rifle, it sounds like the gun shop did a great job too.

Unless I missed something - the original story did not mention what firearm the customer had sent in for repair - it could have been a $300ish pistol - and he was offered the option to choose ANY Ruger to replace it. The suggestion of the SR762 is because that is one of the most expensive firearms Ruger sells and the suggestion is that in order to make the customer happy, Ruger offered far more than simply replacing their firearm with an identical one but with ANY.

As much as I would like to have an SR762 - for me, if I had sent in a $300 gun and the offer was made to choose ANY gun (even if limited to inventory on hand etc) - I don't think I would go over $600 or maybe $750 at the most - and more likely would end up in the $450 to $550 range - assuming I didn't take another identical model. But then I am not the sort of person to become enraged over such things and think that I am entitled to whatever I want. Also I might have assumed and not thought to ask if by any gun they literal meant ANY gun versus any gun in the same price range as the original. I might have jokingly asked if that included the SR762 - and if they said yes - then I might have jumped on it but I would certainly not have expected that.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I have intentionally not named the firearm involved, as I did not want this thread to become a discussion of a particular Ruger model. I will say that the gun in question was not a $300 one, but would fall somewhere in the middle- maybe about a $700 gun.

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
Ruger has been good to me, fixed one fast, sent me free screw to replace one that fell out of a used gun, and sent me a new Blackhawk on a deep discount for one that blew a hole in the cylinder that was a ammo commercial reload fault.

·
Registered
5,246 Posts
What I like is that I've never had to deal with Ruger customer service. Mine work fine. Works for me but good to know they are there
+1. Maybe I am just lucky, but I have never had to send a Ruger nor any other firearm I have in for repairs. Guess my standards just aren"t high enough. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
I read this stuff and I am so glad when It came down to replacing or updating from my old Rossi .38 I went with a Ruger and a couple weeks back when I was determined to get the S&W/M&P Shield .40 Performance Center Model that Ruger sent me the e-mail announcing Rugers new American Pistol, I looked at it and liked it plus I remember what some of yall told me about their pistols and such plus I have been wanting a .45 and was going to save up for a 1911 and thought wtf....this gun is a 45...full size duty pistol...go for it.....so I have to thank Hickok45 for steering me towards Ruger for my Revolver purchase 2 months ago and to thank all yall for doing what ya could to talk me out of a S&W an sticking with a Ruger, and most of all Ruger for sending that e-mail.......now I read this stuff......I dont know if I should say I found a home with Ruger or Ruger found a home with me....either way I happy with both my Rugers....

·
Registered
27 Posts
True. The owner of the store involved has some very loyal customers, probably in large part due to the service he gives them.
Customer service is so important. Especially nowadays with all the technology. Technology is okay, but the human factor cannot be forgotten. Kudos to Ruger and the gun shop owner.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts