Ruger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member, but I've always had Ruger handguns around. When I saw the new Koenig 1911 I knew I wanted one if I could swing it. I already had the SR 1911 in .45 and have been quite impressed with it. It has close to 2500 rounds through it, and has proven to be a fine handgun. Having decided I wanted a 9mm 1911, the new model appealed to me. I have read posts online about this gun costing "too much for a Ruger". I do however love my .45, and I like the idea of an American made product. Now is the Koenig worth the more than double price of the production guns? That's debatable.....Is it an obvious step up from the production guns? Yep. It is very accurate and cycles very smoothly with little flip. The sights are awesome, as is the trigger. The action is noticeably smoother and tighter at the same time. The trigger reset has a noticeably stronger return and is extremely short. The barrel and bushing are quite tight and it is impossible to evoke any movement of the barrel when in lockup. The finish is also nicer than I expected. It's a pretty gun. When Ruger builds me a good gun, they sell me another...….

·
Registered
470 Posts
You are correct. Others do say "it cost's to much for a Ruger" myself included. However, if your satisfied and happy with it, then that's all that matters. It is a beauty. Enjoy it!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's kinda how I feel about it honestly. $1800 is a lot of money for a Ruger. Having said that, I've handled and shot much more expensive pistols that seem very similar in quality. It's a hand fitted gun with fitted steel parts inside. It also has all the bells and whistles I was looking for. And the waterproof case is really,really nice. Comes with 2 mags, certificate, cleaning cloth, case candy, wrenches,and a lifetime supply of fibre optic rods.....a nice touch I thought.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great! Wish I could afford one!
It's not the typical gun in my safe.....most are great bang for the buck kind of guns and I love them all.
We have been doing a LOT of shooting lately with work friends and we all enjoy it immensely. Due to that, we have the opportunity to shoot many really nice pistols that belong to others. The wife decided she wanted a really nice CZ Shadow Target 2 a while back. I got her one. She loves it. So......when she suggested I get that "pretty" 1911 I showed her online. It was a no brainer.lol
Some folks like to travel, others drive fancy cars....we like shooting stuff!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Well I think it has had those magic fingers on it and that's all the difference other companies offer. Sounds like a bargain to me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think it has had those magic fingers on it and that's all the difference other companies offer. Sounds like a bargain to me.
Thanks... I have always liked Ruger's products. If they are willing to step up their offerings, and support them with good warrantee work etc. I'm on board. I'm wondering how many of these pistols they plan to build?.....My serial number is in the low 3 digits.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
It's not the typical gun in my safe.....most are great bang for the buck kind of guns and I love them all.
We have been doing a LOT of shooting lately with work friends and we all enjoy it immensely. Due to that, we have the opportunity to shoot many really nice pistols that belong to others. The wife decided she wanted a really nice CZ Shadow Target 2 a while back. I got her one. She loves it. So......when she suggested I get that "pretty" 1911 I showed her online. It was a no brainer.lol
Some folks like to travel, others drive fancy cars....we like shooting stuff!
You have a good wife! Mine is similar

·
Super Moderator
4,059 Posts
Congrats! You never have to justify how YOU spend YOUR hard earned money. By all accounts, including yours, that's a fine competition 9mm 1911. Enjoy!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fine acquisition ! No excuses for missing the bulls eye now :D
Went shooting tonite….I did in fact miss the bullseye. But I hit it a few times as well lol. We had a good time. One of my buddies brought his 15 year old Les Baer commander. It's an impressive piece. I had never shot one before. He shot the Ruger and commented about the very light recoil. He also tore the 10 ring out of the target with it. Pretty cool. I did have the slide fail to lock back on the last round once. I think I may have had my fat thumb on the slide too hard. Another buddy handed me 2 Wilson Combat mags and asked me to run them. I did and they ran fine....He said "they are yours then....they don't run well in my Sig". Great friends good night!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE:
I did if fact have a problem with this pistol. After approx. 500-750 rds, I was able, during a function test to get the hammer to fall with the safety on. I called Ruger Prescott, and spoke to a lovely young lady that sent me a return shipping label. I mailed the pistol to them April 3rd. I received the pistol back today, April 10th. They replaced the grip safety, ambi safety, and sear. It now functions perfectly with no insult to the trigger pull. Here's the clincher...…..before I sent it I noticed a VERY minor finish rub on the slide where it interfaces the dust cover. I mean super minor. I put a piece of tape there to mark it. I could have lived with it no problem. They refinished the entire slide and its beautiful. They even improved the appearance of the brushed stainless panels. I haven't fired it yet, but I expect no more issues. Oh and by the way, the included an extra mag to boot. Awesome turnaround time and another example of stellar Ruger service. Happy customer!

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,636 Posts
That is a very fine firearm. Good report all around. Thanks for taking the time to share your findings. I as many others fell in love with this "Competition Pistol" the first time I looked at it. Thanks for the updates Big Jlm and congratulations on the purchase. IMHO money well spent. Do they offer this model with different slides? Where did you purchase yours from?

·
Registered
861 Posts
I think Ruger should put out more info on how these are made and tested. For example there are Utubes showing the testing of Baers and Wilson Combat pistols and probably others to the point of the rounds that are shot through them after they are made and yes they go back if they do not pass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts