Ruger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.shootingwire.com/

Didn't see availability date.

Excerpts: Ruger's new lead-free ammunition will be produced under a licensing agreement with Savannah, Georgia-based PolyCase Ammunition.

Ruger has chosen a lead-free copper alloy/nylon binder bullet technology versus the more traditional lead-based projectiles.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Hope they pay more attention to making the ammo than they did on that 1st sentence..
"On Monday, Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc (NYSE:RGR) will announce has become is the latest major firearms manufacturer to jump into the ammunition business." :D

Sounds interesting. I'll probably try a few boxes at the range.

They do say down at the bottom that it is shipping already.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ruger's ammo line will weigh less than traditional lead projectiles and use significantly higher velocities to compensate for those lighter weight bullets in overall effectiveness, while the faster ammunition will actually offer a reduction in perceived recoil.

The Ruger 9mm ARX round weighs 74 grains; Sig's variety of 9mm rounds begin at 115 - through 147 grains.

Having spent time testing the PolyCase ammunition (largely in Ruger firearms), I know the reduction in felt recoil isn't just hype.
Vewy intewesting.

·
Life is good
4,866 Posts
Interesting info. I may try some when it is stocked.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
Indoor ranges may not allow non-brass cases :(
It's just the bullets, cases are still brass. Article in Guns&Ammo about polymer blend bullets was very interesting. You can mold flutes into the bullets which cause pretty bad wound channels, not something you could easily do with copper or lead. They are also a lot softer than copper so they would mold to the rifling better and not wear it out near as much

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
I'm just curious but how well does lighter, lead-free (all copper, polymer, etc.) bullets maintain momentum and velocity over distance without the lead (core) weight behind them to push them?

·
Registered
188 Posts
just what the masses in Kalifornia need to be able to keep shooting. Hopefully for them it will be "affordable"

jd

·
Registered
9,171 Posts
I'll definitely give it a go. I like the concept of that new bullet by Polycase.

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I want to see the price compared to other types. What is its purpose - to compete with JHP? Or is it "green" range ammo?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
just what the masses in Kalifornia need to be able to keep shooting. Hopefully for them it will be "affordable"

jd
Yeah, hopefully they'll do some rifle ammo in non-lead. I know, its not a huge market (yet) but if you look at the non-lead choices in hunting ammo (with the exception of duck loads since EVERYONE has to use non-lead for duck) you'll see like a half page of non-lead hunting ammo and 15 pages of standard ammo in most catalogs like Bass Pro etc. Be nice to have a few more choices and, maybe, a little competition to bring the price down a little.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts