Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking around for a Revolver that does both and DA/SA. So far it looks like the Taurus 992 is the only one that does that. The 617 is great but no Magnum cylinder for it.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
You are looking for a Double Action 22 Magnum? Ruger has never made one. Smith and Wesson makes the Model 48 in 4" and 6" barrels. I have heard good and bad about the Taurus 922 and I dont have any first hand info on that one. The S&W would be my choice for a medium frame 22 Magnum DA.

Product: Model 48

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Taurus? Ugh, no............I would avoid that one.....for the same price, or less you'd be better off with one of the NAA .22 WMR revolvers like the Black Widow or Mini Master. A better quality piece for less $$$.

Or go to Czechpoint - distributor of Sa vz. 58 rifles and Sa vz. 61 Scorpions , they sell Czech made .22 WMR revolvers that I hear are decent quality, and the prices look right. They even have a .22 LR and WMR revolving carbine...... They go in and out of stock so I don't know what they have right now.

Ruger fans have been screaming for a .22 SP101 LR/WMR convertible, as well as a .22 WMR LCR. :) So far, no dice......

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shoot. I wanted one that did both cylinders. Looks like a single action may be the only option.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Ruger, in the past, made the SP-101 in 22 mag, but that's about as close as you'll get. Ruger has never made either a 22 LR or a 22 Mag DA in a frame the size of the 617, nor has Ruger ever made a 22/22mag convertible in a DA. A lot of us would love to see a Ruger version of the 617, but nothing yet.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Ruger made a .22 LR SP101, both the "original" 6 shot version and of course the new one.

If you want a DA .22 WMR revolver there are fewer choices, but a .22 LR DA like the SP101 or LCR is vastly cheaper to shoot. .22 WMR is surprisingly expensive.

This NAA Mini Master is a VERY high quality revolver, many people have 10's of thousands of rounds through them. They come with a LR and WMR cylinder, Millett sights and there are a ton of grip options. I have an NAA Mini .22 LR and it's one of my favorite guns.

There's also the PUG,.22 WMR with an available LR cylinder.......... it has XS tritium night sights or a plastic white dot (to lower the price) and is made for concealed carry.......one of these with the night sight is VERY high on my "needs" list!

These are out of stock right now, but for $300 you can get an alloy frame Czech made .22 WMR revolver........just gotta catch them when they have some.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
From what I've heard, Ruger actually made a few of the new 4" SP-101 22s in 22 mag, but quickly dropped the mag option. Can't say for sure, because I haven't seen one, so I probably shouldn't have posted it. My apologies. We have enough rumors on the net without adding more. :(

I also saw the old 22 version in a 22 mag, back in the 90s, but it may have been a custom job. The cylinder is certainly long enough for the mag.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts