Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Recently new to shooting. I'm a target shooter, not a CCW, or home defense guy but respect everybody's rights :)

I own a Super Redhawk 9.5 and a SR9. If all goes well I will be moving to a small town in CA. The more I read about California gun laws, the more I am confused. Simple question. Can I legally own these firearms as a resident of CA? I know I will have to ditch my larger magazine, and register but how the heck do I know if my guns are "CA Compliant"?

Appreciate your assistance and I look forward to chatting with Ruger fans. Made in Prescott! That is one of the reasons I purchased them, that and they are great guns.

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
I would give the town's police department a call and see if you can get a straight answer from them. In either case, good luck and welcome from Brooklyn, NY.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Welcome from Central Florida.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Your handguns will be fine. You already own them and no FFL required. I would recommend buying any non-roster handguns that you can get your hands on - Springfield XDM, Beretta 92A1/96A1, or similar. You'll thank your self later.

For AR/AK-type rifles (16" or longer barrel), you'll need to install a bullet button or go featureless. For SBR's, you may be out-of-luck.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ouch! Arizona to California? Perhaps you should abandon your old hobby of target shooting and switch to gardening. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Must file report

When you get to California, within 60 days, you have to file the form: "New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership (BOF 4010A)" to the CA Dept. of Justice and pay a fee. On the form you list all the firearms you own, which means they are now registered.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Welcome from the Republic of Texas...

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin

·
Registered
362 Posts
Greetings and welcome to the forum from San Diego County.

Bummer that you have to move to the PRK! At least you'll be closer to the beach now.

Get a bullet button,put away your std. capacity magazines and blend in!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I second the post about Calguns.net
Best site for cal gun owners by a mile.

I would suggest buying any Ca off roster guns you want before moving here and enjoy them.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.