Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
I guess Ruger going into the ammo business is OK but as a personal choice I do not use politically correct bullets as a statement against that sort of mind set.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
This company has stated often that the process will allow for cheaper ammo, however, they sell for around $19.00 for 20 rounds, I can still get 50 rounds of 9mm Winchester FMJ for the same price.

·
Registered
860 Posts
This company has stated often that the process will allow for cheaper ammo, however, they sell for around $19.00 for 20 rounds, I can still get 50 rounds of 9mm Winchester FMJ for the same price.
And I load for far less!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think it's a good business move on Ruger's part, especially since ammo has been flying off the shelves like hotcakes under this administration.

Although I've never seen or used Polycase ammo (which by the way the design reminds me of a drill bit) the ballistics from their website seem impressive. And not sure if it's meant to be politically correct ammo but from what I'm reading it's just another step in innovation which I feel is always a good thing. I mean years ago people were skeptical about Hornady adding a red polymer tip to their hollow points and that stuff has been proven to work. I don't know if I'd make the switch but I sure wouldn't mind trying out a box or two of this stuff.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Thanks for the link. Ruger may increase their revenue by branching out into a limited ammo market. Copper and plastic bullets? :eek:

It will take quite a while and real world data to pry me away from my Gold Dots and HSTs.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I read the original article about this stuff or atleast the bullet's technology.

The idea is that it spins like all bullets do but with those big cut outs it acts like a food mixer in soft material (aka: flesh) so there isn't the mushrooming like JHP.

I don't know if that's a giant leap forward in death and destruction so I'm not tossing out my Golden Sabre just yet.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
That's a little bit of an apples to oranges comparison. This is being presented and priced as a self defense round and seems to be right in the ballpark against the Critical Defense/Gold Dot type ammunition. Looking at Cabelas (for the current ARX ammo) it's $21 for 20 rounds of 45ACP and $19 for 25 rounds of 9mm. For what it's competing against that's reasonable.

Or I'm missing something - always a distinct possibility.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I thought i read in another article that the light weight ballistic actually tumbles once it penetrates doing damage w/out expanding. I thing the twists on the end are to try to spin the bullit to keep it on target.

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
I watched a video on this stuff. It does some pretty wicked stuff to gelatin. Falconbobb, you are correct about the tumble once it slows down. I would like to try it. I would also like to see what it does when it contacts a hard surface. It has good penetration in the gel, with a good wound cavity. If it has a tendency to break up on hard surface impact, it may be a less collateral damage ammo.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
As the saying goes if you want a well cooked steak you don't go to McDonalds ... so if you want a well built gun go to Ruger BUT not for bullets ...

Ruger ... please dance with the date you brought not the one your friend brought ...

·
Registered
629 Posts
Their name on the box but they are not the ones making it. About like the Ruger pellet rifles made in China, just a licensed product.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Their name on the box but they are not the ones making it. About like the Ruger pellet rifles made in China, just a licensed product.
Agreed. It's the Marketing guys that are in charge of this, not the Production guys. Like the pepper spray.

But I would assume that Ruger has done some due diligence to be confident enough in this product to put its name on it too.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Bummer. Here I was hoping for mass quantities of new quality American made 22lr.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
This stuff would be awesome for internal ship defense or Air Marshals. I think the person asked about performance against glass and dry wall, well not very well. Whole point of this is to reduce collateral damage, so it goes puff when it hits a hard object.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The asymmetric design of the bullet nose has me wondering if there's any change in performance between right- and left-hand twist rifling...

Nevertheless, it's an interesting development, and it'll be interesting to see how it works out.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
The asymmetric design of the bullet nose has me wondering if there's any change in performance between right- and left-hand twist rifling...
That's a very good question, and I think there would be. Kind of like running a drill bit backwards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts