Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
i'd say if it works for you and your manor of dress----why not!

Not a huge fan of shoulder rigs for ccw. I will say if you go that route, get a good leather one as the nylon ones will quickly ruin a good dress shirt from abrasion rubbing back and forth.

My mode of dress ain't shoulder rig friendly for ccw. And i'm too old to change my ways...........
i know it takes some effort to ccw, but when it comes to ccw with a shoulder rig, i'm too lazy to go into that much effort, and my wardrobe is too barren for such...............

·
Registered
444 Posts
Hmmmnnnn...

What do you all think of carrying a gp 100 161 for ccw with a vertical shoulder holster?
A LOT of variables......

Didn't mention barrel length.......4 or 6"?
Prolly doesn't matter.

I do own a leather shoulder holster that conceals my 6" GP100 well,but.....
Not totally comfortable,can always tell it is there.
My GP100 is accuracy and reliability, but it is bulky for CC.

That is why bought an SP101.
That gun,easily hidden,and still hits hard!
With the right holster, can't tell the SP101 is even hanging on my body.

·
Registered
28 Posts
What do you all think of carrying a gp 100 161 for ccw with a vertical shoulder holster?
161 = 6"

That's a lot of weight to be packing around all day, even in a shoulder rig. I think you'll be glad to get that load off your back (pun intended) by the end of the day.

Preacher

·
Banned
108 Posts
I had a 6"Gp100 and found it to be way too big for CCW(may work for you though). I found the 3" GP100 to be about as big as I would want for concealed carry. I go with the SP101 with 2.25" barrel for concealed 95% of the time. If you have a good shoulder holster with anchor straps that attach to the belt you may do well with the GP 100 6".

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,695 Posts
I've seen guys use a single action Ruger as a CCW so it's not an impossible task ... but a 6" barrel is impractical. I'm a firm believer in "the right tool for the right job" be it a screwdriver, software, or a gun. Here's where a revolver designed for CCW will serve you much better. It's hard to beat a 3 or 4" GP-100 or better yet, a SP-101.

I have a box full of holsters I bought over the years in a quest to find what works best for me. Shoulder rigs are OK for hunting but suck when it comes to safety or doing fast draws with a DA revolver or a semi-auto. Many ranges outlaw shoulder rigs for the same reason they are poor for self defense. Assuming the muzzle is pointed down and the grip is pointed to the front .... when you draw, you must first pull the gun up and out of the holster (90 deg) which has the muzzle pointed directly at your vitals. Then you swing the muzzle 90 degrees to line up with the target. If you try to move fast, you will always over travel and have to pull the muzzle back on target. Mean time, the loaded gun's muzzle was aimed at the innocent bystanders in the more than 90 degree horizontal arc.

Try the same drill with a strong side belt mounted hip holster. As you draw, the muzzle is basically aligned with the target from the moment you clear leather until the shot is fired. Your muzzle travel is in a single direction ... if you over travel a bit, no problem ... you hit the neck instead of center mass. If for some reason you dump a round while drawing, the bullet will either go in the ground or in the direction of the target ... never to the side or aimed at yourself. Think about it!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have carried a 6" KGP-161 during hunting season in an Uncle Mike's vertical shoulder holster, and it takes a big jacket (Carhartt type or heavier) to totally conceal it. Usually the grip or the muzzle (holster snaps to belt) gives it away.

Smaller gun would probably work better.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

·
Registered
191 Posts
No contest - belt (or thigh) -mounted holster is bound to be faster and safer for self-defense and any other fast-draw application. However IMHO only shoulder holsters allow adequate (more or less) concealed carry of a reasonably large handgun. So for those of us who prefer to carry a "big gun" that's the only option (that I'm aware of).

Also, with a lot of practice one can train himself to be reasonably fast and reasonably safe with shoulder holster draw (with the caveat that the same amount of training would accomplish a faster draw from a thigh-mounted holster).

·
Registered
191 Posts
Both Uncle Mike and Hunter's Joy shoulder holsters will fit a large build. Hunter's Joy is noticeably cheaper - but it's more difficult to get a precise gun fit from them. I'm using Hunter's Joy for Taurus Raging Bull (good fit), and have Uncle Mike's on order for GP-100 (6" barrel). Haven't figured out how to determine what holster size to order, so was asking the salesperson via email for the best fit for a given gun - and had to rely on their accuracy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts