Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a Ruger GP100 357 magnum blued with a 4 inch barrel. The revolver is in 100% condition and never fired. It is a first year production revolver and the serial number is 579. I don't have a clue as to what it might be worth. Not interested in selling it but curious as to what the value might be.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,174 Posts
Age, in itself is not a good indicator of value. Ruger DA revolvers don't have much of a collector following so the value of your gun is based more on condition .... and maybe a little extra for age. I will say .... your gun is worth a lot more than what you paid for it .... just because the cost of a new gun keeps going up.

With all that rhetoric, the realistic value for a 100% blued GP-100 is about 70% of a new gun because that's about what it would cost a dealer to buy a new one. Current MSRP is $769 so the value would be about $538 to a dealer or maybe as much as $600 in a private sale. For insurance purposes, it would cost about $800 to replace it (tax and fees included).

Reactions: TNMark and BigG

·
Registered
753 Posts
There is more people collecting D/A Rugers than you would think. There are some phenomenal collections of S/A's and everybody and their brother are collecting them. Collector's are exploring the D/A scene, the hunt is the fun part of collecting. An early mint peice like yours will only go up in value. I would put it's value above any new GP's except the Super GP100. Hang onto it or find someone who appreciates it and will pay up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I agree with you 67number1. I had a dealer offer me 750.00 for it and he was aggravated that I didn't take his offer. I feel the right buyer would give between 750 an d 1000 for it.

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I agree with 67number1 as well. Lots of folks collecting the old Security, Speed, and Service Six Series Rugers now, just look at what they ask for those now. Especially if Ruger ever dis-continued the GP (God forbid!) then I would say the value of your gun would go up considerably. Low serial numbers of any Ruger tends to bring more money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts