Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
S&W has the 44 magnum model 69 that holds 5 rounds. Would Ruger ever build a 5 shot 44 Special GP100, could they? If anyone is listening at Ruger I'd have a hard time NOT buying a WC styled one with a three inch barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
If they ever do, I hope they make it in .44 mag. In the past Dave Clements has built 5 shot .44 SP GP's and he claimed they could be loaded fairly stout e.g. 250 gr bullet at 1200 fps. Dave Reeder still offers this conversion:

Skorpion

Clements, when he made his, used a rebored factory barrel. See:

Clements Custom Guns

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Go to the link posted below from Ruger's website and scroll to "Tell the CEO". You can write Mike Fifer, CEO of Ruger and he does read every email sent to him. If enough demand is out there, Ruger will make it happen. Personally I'd love to see a 44 Spl GP100 or SP101. I remember writing years ago for a 22lr GP100 and it was released last year.

https://ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

·
Registered
100 Posts
If they ever do, I hope they make it in .44 mag. In the past Dave Clements has built 5 shot .44 SP GP's and he claimed they could be loaded fairly stout e.g. 250 gr bullet at 1200 fps. Dave Reeder still offers this conversion:

Skorpion

Clements, when he made his, used a rebored factory barrel. See:

Clements Custom Guns
Im with you on that. A slimmer 44 mag for woods carry in 44 mag would be an excellent combination

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
A 5 shot .44mag, possibly. A 5 shot .44 special, very doubtful. .44mag is a very small market. .44 special is a small fraction of the mag.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A three inch version with some of the Wiley Clapp models details and Compact grips would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I've been waiting for Ruger to make a 5 shot 44 caliber GP-100 but they don't seem to be listening.
I would actually prefer a 44 Special and not a 44 Magnum, ....well truthfully a 44 Special +P which is an imaginary cartridge. The 44 Special is a great cartridge but the factory loadings and current SAAMI specs for the 44 Special fall short of the cartridges' full potential. If we could make a factory sanctioned slightly warm 44 Special along the lines of the 44 Special "Skeeter" loads that push a 250 grain bullet to 900-1000 fps., we would have a great factory cartridge. The 44 Magnum is a fine cartridge but it is hard on the gun and a warm 44 Special will do the job 95% of the time.
We have Redhawks and Super Redhawks to handle the 44 magnum. What we need is a smaller framed revolver (like say a GP-100 :D) chambered for the 44 Special but capable of handling pressures a little beyond the current lame 44 Special factory loads.

I'm thinking a half-lug 4", tapered barrel with a 5 shot cylinder chambered in 44 Special built on a GP-100 frame.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I totally agree! I love Ruger I think it's the best revolver made today, and I am dying for them to make a .44 special in 3-4"! I considered trying a Charter Arms bulldog for a but, but didn't do it because I just don't trust Charter's products compared to Ruger's proven durability. I like Ruger's .45 acp Redhawk but I don't 1,000 bucks like it! That's crazy expensive. I absolutely love .357 magnum it's my favorite round but the .44 magnum is too much for me, way too much. I'd love to see a sleek, Ruger version of .44 spl. I'd get one of those in a heart beat. I now have two .357 magnum revolvers and adore both, but I'm one of those that thinks I need an even bigger bore caliber too. If given a choice, I'd still take a .357 over a .44 spl any day, but the .44 spl is just a cool round to me because it's bigger bore but slower and easier. Curious to see if Ruger comes out with one sometime. I'd say it's not too likely given that the round is fairly unknown or just not that in demand now from what I've seen.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
It would be a good and well received revolver. A factory made 5 shot .44Spl or Mag with a 5" barrel would be just about perfect to my eye. Taurus, Charter, and Smith all offer 5 shot .44s that seem to be selling well. It's time for Ruger to join the party.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts