Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some may have followed, I had to send my NIB GP100 back to Ruger 4 times. This last time around, I emailed the CEO Killoy, and got a call from Gail at Ruger, who told me to send it in for a refinish, and she would make sure a manager oversaw my GP100.
Here are the photos of the manager supervised bluing.

I’m convinced that Ruger cannot blue a firearm. I’m done sending back, since it could come back even worse. The top strap is the worst area. I’m thinking about just sending the photos to the CEO, and letting him know what is going on at the NH factory.

I’m inclined to keep the gun, since the barrel is now perfect, BC gap is perfect. Thoughts?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Truly disappointing , I would send Gail and the CEO these same pictures and ask they why. Someone just isn't getting it.

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,756 Posts
Unless that is lubricant they put on the gun after blueing it, the pics reveal something very, very wrong. If so, Ruger owes you a full refund and should let you keep the gun.

Exhibit #1 in why I only buy guns I can see and handle carefully. The one exception was a lucky one for me.

If Ruger did not make nice I would sell it, and tell Ruger you are buying nothing from them again. Then go buy a Kimber or Smith or Colt.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not lubricant on the gun. The photos were taken after I wiped the gun down thoroughly.

I bought this gun after examining it thoroughly, knowing full well that the bluing job was a little off. After all the most common line written on these forums when something is off on a brand new Ruger: "Don't worry, Ruger will make it right". Most everyone assumes that sending a gun back to Ruger FOUR TIMES should solve any problems.

That unfortunately is not the case. One can no longer assume that Ruger 'will make it right', even after an email to the CEO, and four trips to the factory.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
All that dust and lint is kind of distracting. That is dust and lint, isn't it?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Disappointing , I would ask for a refund and be done.
I to had a less than desirable blue GP recently and sent it in and it came back ok but not great.
I think at some point in the last few years Ruger changed something maybe processes or chemicals or who knows what, but there is a time frame I started noticing the difference. I’ve noticed a brownish underlying haze to many of the Ruger products mostly in the cylinder flutes and slide serrations.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Disappointing , I would ask for a refund and be done.
I to had a less than desirable blue GP recently and sent it in and it came back ok but not great.
I think at some point in the last few years Ruger changed something maybe processes or chemicals or who knows what, but there is a time frame I started noticing the difference. I’ve noticed a brownish underlying haze to many of the Ruger products mostly in the cylinder flutes and slide serrations.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a problem with Ruger's bluing. I thought maybe it was just my gun. sounds like it's a general issue?

·
Registered
517 Posts
I'd keep it for the reasons you mention. Then, I'd cut bait from Ruger and spend your hard earned dollar with another mfg on future purchases.

Ruger CAN produce a quality product. They CHOOSE not to. Especially for you and the number of times sent back. Completely ridiculous and unacceptable "customer service".

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very disappointing. I’m sorry about this whole deal. Maybe live with it and enjoy the shooting for a while and after all the election craziness sent it to a real shop and get it done right

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I am preferably a stainless steel guy also, but, Ruger should be able to get the blued steel finish right on your GP100. I honestly don't know what opinion to give you. At this point I would be very tempted to ask for a total refund and let them have it back. It's just a shame as the GP100 can be a very nice revolver. Please keep us informed about what you choose to do.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I hate to say this but your situation makes me look at my 5 inch lipseys 357 REAL close.. I don’t see any of those blems. That proves they CAN do it. Why won’t they? I think a refund full or partial is in order.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I saw your earlier thread and honestly it is really hard to tell with these photos. Four times sent back is way more patient than I would be. Also I'd want to see it under natural lighting, no flash, outside before making a judgement. Flash does tend to exaggerate little things. I have seen Ruger's bluing on recent SP101's which was more of a matte blue and they looked fine. I have also seen new Blackhawks and Vaquero's with a more traditional blue and never saw anything like yours. My Ruger American rifle has a polished blued barrel that is beautiful. It was manufactured in 2018, so I know they can blue firearms.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For those who wanted photos that have lower levels of lighting (ie: “don’t look too closely”), here are some:

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
That’s unconscionable. Especially after FOUR times back to the factory. I’d definitely send these pics to the attention of the CEO, and see what he has to say about it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I called Gail at Ruger today (who answered my email to CEO Killoy on July 1st). She told me to send pictures to her email, which I did. I also cc-ed Mr. Killoy on those pictures as well.

I will update this thread as I learn more.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.