Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Updated: Ruger GP100 + QC =...to Ruger

UPDATE: After further inspection, CS @ Ruger Replaced the Barrel, ejector rod, pivot pin, & front sight + a function check and firing. Since work was done at Ruger, I mostly trust it...however, would replacing the barrel cause the gun to be less sturdy than that of a new firearm? As barrels/threads are originally crush fitted, I'm not going to need lock-tight or some crap on down the road am I? (Forgive the novice question in advance)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've purchased several NIB GP100's (.357) in the last 20 months or so. All were sent back to Ruger by LGS for QC issues. Throw the NIB SP101 for good measure (pushed ejection rod and cylinder came off spindle) and every single Ruger Revolver I've purchased has taken a trip down wash-out lane (exception being a .357 LCRX...which any Ruger w/Polymer or plastic, my American rifle, SR22, or the LCRX seem to do fine). But if it's of the steel "Tank" variety, in my experience, it'll see CS before the range in my neck of the woods.
Ordered and picked up a Blued Wiley Clapp yesterday. It looks like they forced the front sight on as the outside edge has a sliver of raw steel exposed where blue is supposed to be. I'm not an *** clown or picky boys, and I run my girls hard so I expect wear and battle scars, but from the factory this BS. While at the store, I Dry Fired the WC 5-10 times and the Hammer Assembly Pivot Pin worked so loose it darn near rotated out of the grip holding it in place. I knew to check this issue as I had the exact same problem w/another new SS GP and the LGS said, nope that ain't right; loose for field stripping, but not that loose! So if a lug-nut customer like me knows to check for it, where is Ruger QC? I love my Ruger's, and would really like to buy JUST one without a trip back, but after all this non-sense it's time to F I R E - S O M E O N E!

·
Registered
522 Posts
It is a bummer! Both Ruger revolvers I bought brand new had to go back in under 100 rds. You read thread after thread about the wonderful customer service but truth is .. like car insurance .. I would really just prefer to not have to use it and get a gun that works.

My SR22 has been problem free and an LCP I had for a bit worked as well as an LCP can but the revo's .. both sent home for work.

A lemon can sneak through any assembly line but it seems to be that the lemons are the norm. Its sad because when they work they are awesome. My 3in fixed sight is one of my all time favorite guns and has been trouble free since returned to me but if they can afford shipping both ways why not just make the gun right the first time and knock a few bucks off the price.

They really should look at what the problem is internally because I would like to buy another but am hesitant.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...that's a whole lotta bad luck Zig. Not even lightning strikes the same place 4x's.
And so very, very true Aboriqua (Re: Car insurance analogy + shipping costs vs QC). Like you, I love my Ruger Revo's over any others on the market...but my confidence out of box is rattled. CS will make it right, always have, and guns are typically better than new. It's just beyond aggravating. I even purposely used two different LGS's for two different purchases to see if might have been related to stock form certain distributors. Obviously no discernible difference between different LGS's and distributors; thus, it points back to Ruger QC. I hate it, I really do. My next wheelie was to be a Redhawk .357, 4". I may eyeball a S&W 627 Pro instead (but that Hillary Hole and side plates...blahhh!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:
After further inspection, CS @ Ruger Replaced the Barrel, ejector rod, pivot pin, & front sight + a function check and firing. Since work was done at Ruger, I mostly trust it...however, would replacing the barrel cause the gun to be less sturdy than that of a new firearm? As barrels/threads are originally crush fitted, I'm not going to need lock-tight or some crap on down the road am I? (Forgive the novice question in advance)

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
You will not have any use for the Lock-Tite. LOL. The new barrel is also crush fitted to your frame and is torqued in tighter than Dick’s hat band. Removal of your original barrel will not affect the new barrel so, rest easy. Besides, Ruger doesn’t want the liability for a barrel flying off and hurting someone.

·
Grand Inquisitor
2,254 Posts
Making me happier and happier for my 1996 built GP100. Ran flawlessly yesterday. My wife or I have put about 300 arounds of .38 and 60 .357s through it since I got it in February.

Ruger needs to get this right. I've been looking at Dan Wesson 715s lately! I do not buy many firearms and can wait to buy one that will work right out of the box.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The Dan Wesson’s are awesome! I have one. I hope Ruger will fix this issue. However, it’s been a problem for a while. I bought 6 Ruger revolvers (3 GP100s, 2 LCRs and an SP101) between 2013 and 2016. One out of the six was good right from the get go. The other five had to go back to Ruger CS within the first 100 rounds for serious QC problems. (I’m not picky, these were all serious function issues like gun completely locked up, or spitting lead, etc.)
Two were replaced outright by Ruger. The other three required some parts to be replaced.
So this has been a problem for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
Updated: Ruger GP100 + QC =...to Ruger

UPDATE: After further inspection, CS @ Ruger Replaced the Barrel, ejector rod, pivot pin, & front sight + a function check and firing. Since work was done at Ruger, I mostly trust it...however, would replacing the barrel cause the gun to be less sturdy than that of a new firearm? As barrels/threads are originally crush fitted, I'm not going to need lock-tight or some crap on down the road am I? (Forgive the novice question in advance)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've purchased several NIB GP100's (.357) in the last 20 months or so. All were sent back to Ruger by LGS for QC issues. Throw the NIB SP101 for good measure (pushed ejection rod and cylinder came off spindle) and every single Ruger Revolver I've purchased has taken a trip down wash-out lane (exception being a .357 LCRX...which any Ruger w/Polymer or plastic, my American rifle, SR22, or the LCRX seem to do fine). But if it's of the steel "Tank" variety, in my experience, it'll see CS before the range in my neck of the woods.
Ordered and picked up a Blued Wiley Clapp yesterday. It looks like they forced the front sight on as the outside edge has a sliver of raw steel exposed where blue is supposed to be. I'm not an *** clown or picky boys, and I run my girls hard so I expect wear and battle scars, but from the factory this BS. While at the store, I Dry Fired the WC 5-10 times and the Hammer Assembly Pivot Pin worked so loose it darn near rotated out of the grip holding it in place. I knew to check this issue as I had the exact same problem w/another new SS GP and the LGS said, nope that ain't right; loose for field stripping, but not that loose! So if a lug-nut customer like me knows to check for it, where is Ruger QC? I love my Ruger's, and would really like to buy JUST one without a trip back, but after all this non-sense it's time to F I R E - S O M E O N E!
I purchased a stainless Ruger GP-100 with 6 inch barrel and the original wood insert grips about a year and a half ago used. It is in very good shape but I would rather have a 4 inch barrel. Might you know what that would cost me to have done by Ruger or should I just sell it and buy one with the 4 inch barrel?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I purchased a stainless Ruger GP-100 with 6 inch barrel and the original wood insert grips about a year and a half ago used. It is in very good shape but I would rather have a 4 inch barrel. Might you know what that would cost me to have done by Ruger or should I just sell it and buy one with the 4 inch barrel?
If you want the 4" I would look for one locally and try to trade it outright. Converting it would = $$ well spent elsewhere! I love my KGP-161. My son's favorite revolver as well.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Wow! Talk about bad luck! I bought two GP100s last year. The nicer-looking Lipsey went back before I got to shoot it. Twice. The 6" stainless I've had no problems with. Two pistols worked fine and one is my EDC, the other I sold to my friend, and it has been fine. On the plus side, the 5" Lipsey .327 FM got me a real good trade on a S&W .44 Magnum, 629-6. The lock hole doesn't bother me at all.
I really thought Ruger had fixed their QC, as I haven't heard very many stories of problems, especially like the OP's. I would seriously consider selling them all off and getting a pre-lock S&W and see how that goes. Colt fixed their new Python; why can't Ruger? I love my GP100, 6" SS .327 FMag. All I ever had to do to it was change the springs. (My decision.)

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Need any cheese with that whine.

Reactions: jeffrefrig
1 - 12 of 12 Posts