Ruger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my GSR 5.56 for about a year. I mounted the Hi Lux scout scope, and put around 500 rounds through the rifle. While the rifle is shooting great out to 100yards off the bipod sitting at the table with Black hills MK262. I feel that standing and shooting even after taking off the bipod feels unbalanced with the forward mounted scope. The hi lux comes in at 12oz.

As much as I want to play sniper and attached a conventional scope. I feel this takes away from the rifles purpose.

So what is the purpose of GSR 5.56? I don't know. Hunting? Here in south FL our deer are small and hog can be had. I figure a quality hunting round in .223 will work for this purpose. Self defense? I guess it would work. But a semi auto would be much better option. Survival rifle? Fits the bill for reliability and uses a popular ammo.

Estimated engagement range for my area 0-300 meters. Most likely on the lower range of 25-150 meters.

I am thinking of taking off the scout scope and the rail and just shooting irons, or putting on a red dot. I think these two set ups might work best for my area.

What do you think about what type of optic is best for the GSR 5.56 and what overall purpose does this rifle or would this rifle serve for you?

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I think a traditionally mounted 1-1.5-4,5 or 6 power with a firedot/red dot feature would really work well for you on that gun. Combine it with a synthetic stock to drop 3/4lb and stainless steel and the ability to accept a suppressor it would make a great swamp gun.

For me the 556 Scout is a range/fun gun. It doesn't recoil much so it is a good gun to train shooters on.

For older and disabled warriors it is a heavier firearm that handles well and doesn't exacerbate existing or healing injuries.

A bolt action has become increasingly enjoyable for me to shoot as I out grow (or have to accept my chronological reality) the running and gunning phase of my life ;).

I want to see some pictures of your groups at 100 yards and hear about your trials and errors in finding the right load.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think a traditionally mounted 1-1.5-4,5 or 6 power with a firedot/red dot feature would really work well for you on that gun. Combine it with a synthetic stock to drop 3/4lb and stainless steel and the ability to accept a suppressor it would make a great swamp gun.

For me the 556 Scout is a range/fun gun. It doesn't recoil much so it is a good gun to train shooters on.

For older and disabled warriors it is a heavier firearm that handles well and doesn't exacerbate existing or healing injuries.

A bolt action has become increasingly enjoyable for me to shoot as I out grow (or have to accept my chronological reality) the running and gunning phase of my life ;).

I want to see some pictures of your groups at 100 yards and hear about your trials and errors in finding the right load.

"Swamp gun" that really got my attention. On the first post there is a picture attached that shows a 100 yard target. That was shot with the GSR 5.56 loaded with 77grain Black Hills Sierra OTM (MK262).When I do my part the rifle is dead accurate.

I started with PMC 55gr FMG and TUL Ammo and the results were not great. The PMC did much better than the TUL. Once I got the scope tuned in as best I could with those brands I bought a box of the Black Hills. I tuned the scope a little more and it was drilling @ 100 yards.

You can see a couple flyers on the target. I sped up shooting and it opened up some. I have stuck with the black hills stuff since. If it works don't fix it mentality.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi, I have gotten 1" groups rested at 100 yds with iron sights. I bought it to shoot with iron sights and it does great. IMHO it is an excellent all around rifle. Self defense, hunting and training. I have no plans to put a scope on it. I love it and I am really glad I bought the 5.56. Enjoy that rifle>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts