Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just doing some research on the Ruger Scout Rifle and I love the looks of the gun and the idea of a compact bolt-action rifle like that, but I'd love to see it in .223 or 5.56. Anyone else on board?

Why or why not?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
That would be cool seen something similar at Big 5 can't remember who made it either Marlin or Mossberg Ithink. It uses AR-15 mags

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Mossberg has the MVP that uses AR magazines and has a 5.56 chamber. Very attractive rifle in my opinion.
I would take a Scout in 5.56.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mossberg has the MVP that uses AR magazines and has a 5.56 chamber. Very attractive rifle in my opinion.
I would take a Scout in 5.56.
Wow. Love that Mossberg!

·
Registered
462 Posts
as long as ruger would make the GSR.....compatable with m16 mags...it would be attractive........with the single column magazines...will not buy

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
GSR in .223....... if anybody from Ruger is out there ??.....i would buy one....i believe they would sell like hotcakes.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Wouldn't Ruger want to make it compatible with Mini 14 mags?
that would be handy since I have a pile of Mini 14 mags.

·
Banned
181 Posts
I say no, not because I think it's a bad idea, but because I'd rather Ruger offer the SS no flashider international version domestically first... so I can give Ruger more of my money.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that would be handy since I have a pile of Mini 14 mags.
There you go. A GSR in 5.56/.223 that accepts Mini 14 mags. Basically a bolt-action Mini 14 with a scout rail...

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it used AR mags I might consider. At the price ruger puts on its mags it a no. I just bought a GSR in left handed because the price was right. But ruger needs to rethink its pricing. I'll only be buying one 5 rounder for hunting at current pricing. Have a AR in 6.8 for most of my hunting.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Excellent idea. Rest assured the magazines will be proprietary......

Maybe they COULD do a 1/7 twist? 5.56 for sure......

Listening Ruger?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Maybe with a synthetic stock or slimmer profile barrel to shed some weight. Current rifle would be a bit heavy for a .223.

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe with a synthetic stock or slimmer profile barrel to shed some weight. Current rifle would be a bit heavy for a .223.
I agree... Maybe a Hogue stock?

·
Banned
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about a Ruger American in .223?????
You know... I'm probably the only person on the planet to say this, but I was at a local shop yesterday and saw an American in person and I wasn't impressed. I realize what they were trying to do, but it just looked and felt kinda cheap. It was lightweight and functioned fine from what I could tell, but it just didn't look or feel like a quality rifle.

I'm sure I'm wrong, those were just my perceptions from a brief 2-minute hands-on with it.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Now you're starting to redesign the rifle. The way your describing it now, it seems like you could just slap some peep sights, a forward rail and a detachable box magazine on this...

Ruger® M77® Hawkeye® Compact Bolt-Action Rifle Model 37137

I think that going to .223 is kind of getting away from the whole scout rifle concept anyway. I know its not the perfect scout rifle now, but it's closer at .308 than it is at .223. All that aside, I think folks would buy it though. Personally, I would rather have the .308 and would pass on the .223.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.