Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took my Ruger Guide gun in 375 Ruger hunting last night. But first got it zeroed in during the day first, I put a new Leupold VX-R 4-12X40 with Firedot on it and hadn't done much more than laser bore sight it. At the range, zeroing the rifle was a breeze, at 100yds the rifle ate the bullseye out of the target, so, for fun we put some clay pigeons out at the farthest berm at the range (approx. 225yds) and proceeded to take them out. ZERO misses, ZERO need to compensate for the range. I have to say, the 375 Ruger is a laser. The loads I used were my own. 270gr Hornadys in front of 72Gr's of Varget (max load is 73.1) using the Hornady loading manual as the guide.
The recoil is negligible, no worse than a 30-06. The only thing I didn't do, silly me, is remember to bring the solid replacement muzzle brake...so I decided to hunt with the "regular" muzzle brake on since that's how I shot it at the range.
Now to the hunt, it was in NC and it was dusk, the lone doe in the field was so hard to see, I wouldn't have even seen it at all if it wasn't for my friend who pointed out the movement (old eyes, my night vision is worse than I thought!! ). I brought the rifle up to shoot out of our blind and looked through the scope, wow, looking through the scope I could see the deer clear as day!! I put the firedot on the deer just behind the shoulders (range approx 150yds) and squeezed the trigger. The deer took off!! Very fast!! I KNEW I couldn't have missed, not after shooting it further than that and hitting clays at 225yds! What happened, well, we went walking out to the field and no doe (I thought maybe there was more than one), so we walked towards the direction the deer ran, and there she was.
She ran 50 yds, looking at her on the side I shot her, you don't even see the hole, but, on the other side where the bullet exited, there was a golf ball sized hole, perfectly round...no idea how she ran with that wound, she was dead where she stood!! Clean shot just behind the shoulder, through both lungs.
The 375 Ruger really did a number on her!! But it didn't destroy any meat, the bullet did expand (wasn't sure it would on a white tail).
Okay, now, while walking down to the deer, I kept asking my friend what is that beeping?? (sounded like a truck reverse warning sound) When I shot that rifle from the blind, because of the angle, the blast partially went in (the blind is made of wood)I got my ears to ringing from that muzzle brake!! It didn't last long, but the aftermath was that darned beeping sound whenever I talked!!! Fortunately, that didn't last too long either, so....going to take the rifle to the range and put the sold brake on and see if the POI doesn't change!! Love the rifle!!!! So does my friend!! Now he wants one!! Other than the incident with the muzzle brake (my fault) that rifle handled spectacularly! Don't fear the 375Ruger!
So deer jerky, and tenderloins for me!!!! Woot!!
mazer

Here's a pic of my rifle rigged for hunting!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those damn brakes have to go...they are just dumb, look like crap, piss people off at the range, and can damage your ears.

Come on Ruger, hack it off.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
youngda9 -> I will say at the range they are fine, and Ruger DOES provide a weighted brake that matches the weight of the muzzle brake so you can REPLACE it when you actually take the rifle out to hunt, it was my fault for not switching to it at the range, to make sure the POI was the same as the "brake". I didn't, so didn't want to change it while hunting, and I did pay for that...but...that said, it will only happen once!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have the African model in 375 Ruger with the break system...so I'm well aware of how it works. Doesn't change anything that I said though.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha!!! Yea, well they are painful to shoot without hearing protection that's for sure!!
Oh, how do you like the African?? I like the look of them.

·
Super Moderator
4,069 Posts
Somewhere on the net is a video of a test done shooting the Guide Gun with and without the brake. The sound level measured by machine was about the same with or without the brake. I keep the brake on my 30-06 and I don't notice the difference in noise.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It isn't that the rifle is excessively noisy, it's the "direction" the noise goes that's the issue! At least, it is if you are in an enclosed space (in my case a wooden hunting blind). I did shoot the rifle with my solid brake yesterday and it shoots 2" high compared to the regular muzzle brake.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Love the African. The newer ones have 2 cross bolts, the barrel band, and the nice ebony cap on the front of the stock...Very nice!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
youngda9 -> Sounds great, if I add a 416Ruger to my collection, that may be the direction I go...although, I got to tell you the Guide Gun for me is tough to beat!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts