Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ruger Guide Gun Arrived!

Well, it's here!!!! I have to say that I am VERY pleasantly surprised, the rifle shoulders very nicely, the iron sights are very easy to see and.....wait for it....the trigger is only about 4lb's....this will be my FIRST Ruger to not need at least a spring job to lighten the trigger pull!!
This guide gun is in 375 Ruger and I'm going to the range tomorrow to shoot the handloads I made up using 270gr Hornady bullets. I'll get a range report up by the end of the weekend! I'm really psyched to shoot this!!!

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Depending upon what model your 416Rem Mag might be, the Guide Gun could be considerably lighter, and decidedly more handy. While the Ruger actions are not light (half a pound heavier than a Rem 700 action), the standard length Ruger action is about a quarter pound lighter than a Magnum length action, not to mention the difference in weight due to barrel length.

The Guide Guns have pretty heavy profile barrels, but not unreasonably so. The shorter length barrels are very nice handling, and the high pressure Ruger Safari Magnum cartridges are very bore-efficient, relative to their magnum length kin.

All in all, I think that the accelerated acceptance of the Ruger Safari Magnums (only available in the Ruger Alaskan, Guide Gun, and African platforms) has spoken to the efficiency of these rounds, and these rifles. No, they'll never be in the same league as a Rigby rifle or Euro double, and they don't have the large bore capability that the BRNO/CZ 550's have, but for guys looking to save money on their rifle so they can actually afford to step foot in Africa and use it, the Ruger's are a fantastic offering.

I'm waiting for the "pepper" black and grey or "nutmeg" tan laminate version, because this "lamo camo" stock on the Guide Guns currently is hideous. I'm not sure if I'll spend the money on mine to replace it or not, probably not, since I only bought the rifle (.416 Ruger Guide Gun) as a temporary benchmark/test drive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I just got a new African in 375, as my old one was confiscated by Ruger upon being sent back for repair. Very nice rifle...I sure hope it shoots as well as my old one did.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Lots to love here but I'm not a fan of the green laminate. Reminds me of changing diapers. Love the pepper (black) laminate look, especially with matte stainless. Waiting on a pepper laminate Boyd's stock for my 375 Ruger Alaskan. Put that Guide Gun in a pepper laminate stock like my GSR and I would probably have one in my safe already.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll admit, the stock color isn't great, but color can be changed!! That isn't even a consideration...although I will admit, that I do prefer the gray/black much better!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Should be here today! Can't wait! I'll get some pics when I pick it up and bring it home!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up the rifle, but with all the rain, I can't get it outside for some good pics. I did however, load up 20 rounds of ammo for it!! Just need to get it out to the range! I will say, it shoulders great and the iron sights are a lot nicer than i thought they'd be. I think i'll try shooting with them first before purchasing a scope....need to get 30mm rings too since the ones they shipped are 1". I'll try to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow if we get some sunshine!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I'll admit, the stock color isn't great, but color can be changed!! That isn't even a consideration...although I will admit, that I do prefer the gray/black much better!!
Hmmm...I kinda like the stock color on that rifle. Nice gun, in a beasty caliber! :D

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
Ok, I'll be the odd man out. I like the green laminate.

The Guide Gun was selected as Gun of the Year on it's debut but it still, IMO, doesn't get enough credit. It really is an outstanding rifle in every way. Congrats on your new rifle. I know you're going to enjoy it a lot. I'm extremely happy with mine (30-06).

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Lots to love here but I'm not a fan of the green laminate. Reminds me of changing diapers. Love the pepper (black) laminate look, especially with matte stainless. Waiting on a pepper laminate Boyd's stock for my 375 Ruger Alaskan. Put that Guide Gun in a pepper laminate stock like my GSR and I would probably have one in my safe already.
For what I believe to be it's intended purpose, use in pretty much any conditions, and put face down in the dirt, anything that claws, growls, pokes, or bites, I would prefer one in 416 and wrapped in a poly stock.
I would replace the plywood stock on my GSR with a poly stock in a second too, if they let them go as a replacement part.

Congrats. The Alaskan is definitely a nice ride. :cool:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Verninterror, the Guide Gun would definitely be easier to handle! This is my Remington in 416RemMag, it's a beautiful rifle and a literal "blast" to shoot!:

Alderman-> I don't know! Guess I could call and ask! For the hunting I plan to do a 30mm is a MUST that and a firedot! I'm considering a Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40. I have one on my M1A and love it!

I will say, it shot great!!! Very easy on the shoulder, but the loads I used were on the light side (2400fps) using the 270gr Hornadys, so, going to bump it up now that I've shot it and see what it's REALLY like...if we could only get a few non rainy days in a row!!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts