Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my Guide gun in 375Ruger so much, going to order another in 416Ruger. It will have the same scope (Leupold 4x12x40 with the firedot) and will replace my Remington 700custom in 416 Remington Magnum.
Currently I use my Remington for Black Bear, Mountain Lion and Hog. But with a 24" barrel it is a bit weighty, plus the wood and bluing is so nice, I won't take it out into the nasty weather I tend to hunt in!!!
So....going to replace it with the all weather guide gun. My 416 will be shooting the 400gr Hornady JRNSP bullets out to 300yds, but my average range is around 100-225yds.
This is what it will look like (this is my Guide gun in 375).
Now, you might be asking 'why' such a big caliber? Well, you need to see it in action to appreciate the 416. I load mine currently with 72gr's of Varget which gives the bullet a 2400fps velocity. Plus....I just love to shoot the caliber and when I'm shooting at something that has the potential to come at me quick and means to tear me up, well, there is no such thing as ovekill!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
That's a nice looking rifle, congrats. Great to hear the Guide Gun is meeting your expectations to the extent you're willing to add to the collection. It's feedback like this that made me do this -

I've been impressed with my Gunsite Scout, which is in a McMillan MK2 Hunter stock. Really like how quick it handles, but want a bit more than the .308Win has to offer as I hunt and live in grizzly country. So, a Guide Gun in, get this, .338 RCM is on its way, ETA mid January. Already have a lifetime supply of brass so not concerned if the production ammo gets scarce. A short action with a bit more thump, not quite Win-Mag thump but should be enough. The plan is to set it up in another MCMillan to replace the floor plate with a magwell.

Should make a decent moose and elk rifle.

Again, thanks for the positive review.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
DnD you won't be disappointed!! At least, not from what I've experienced. At the range before hunting season, we were popping 3" clays at 225yds...never missed...either of us. Make sure you clean it before you use it, the bolt gets gummy really quick until you strip off the factory grease....and yes, I shot mine before I gave it a thorough cleaning!!! :)
Oh, and once you zero it with the muzzle brake, be sure to swap it out for the solid brake!! Then, re-zero with that...the muzzle blast is pretty hard on the ears if you are in a blind, or you are in a gully....trust me on this one! I didn't swap it out to zero it and paid for it big time when the muzzle blast came into my "hard sided" hunting blind!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I considered buying the 416 Ruger in the African model, already have the 375 version. I came to the conclusion that since the 375 Ruger will throw a 350gr bullet 2481fps it's all that I need for everything on earth. I would be temped to upgrade to something larger if planning an elephant hunt, like a 458 Lott. But that's not in my future.

Sure wish Ruger would make the African in 9.3x62mm again. I'd buy one, or two, in a heartbeat.

Nice looking rifle there. I'd get the #3 ring to lower that scope a bit.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
youngda9 -> Yes sir! I have been looking at the ballistics between the two and I'm thinking the 375 is good enough, but I really like the 416, I have a Rem700 in 416RemMag and it is a hammer. What appeals to me about the Ruger is the smaller case, it looks easier to reload than the 416RemMag, which isn't horrible, but after 2 or 3 shots the brass gets extremely difficult to size.
I'll look into the #3 Scope rings, I thought that was what was on here, I went with the lowest ones I could find that would fit.
dranrab -> there is no such thing as "overkill".

1 - 6 of 6 Posts