Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loaded up some non traditional components to try and use up very old existing stocks. Sometimes the reloading gods are merciful, lol

Vintage Hornady 130gr SSP bullets. Hodgdon's H380 powder.

Rifle is very new; less than 60 rounds through her. I'm finding that this rifle foul's fast but shoots well for it's intended design. Currently getting about three good five shot groups before they start to open up. Which isn't a big deal for me since the rifle was purchased to be thick cover woods hunting outfit.

rifle: RGSS 16in. barrel
scope: Leupold VX- 5HD 2x10

load data in pics. Thanks for looking at the post trying to contribute to the forum. Be Well all.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's great when something like this works so well. If you had proposed that load in a reloading forum, nearly everybody would say something about a start load of slow powder behind a light for caliber bullet wouldn't be much good. Obviously not in this case. Bet that would make a big muzzle flash in low light!

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,404 Posts
That's awesome when a load assembled from random old components shoots that well. That is a nice rifle.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Nice Scout! Glad to hear you had success with a home-brewed load of old components.

I'd think fast burning powders would perform best in the 16" gun?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In an effort to make an appropriate loading for the cartridge YES I'd agree.....

Nice Scout! Glad to hear you had success with a home-brewed load of old components.

I'd think fast burning powders would perform best in the 16" gun?
But this was just using up old stock components. NOT an attempt for a proper loading. Sometimes the unorthodox can yield beneficial outcomes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts