Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so firstly I want to say hello.

I recently purchased a Gunsite Scout.
I took it to the range for the first time yesterday and I was trying to fire Magtech .308 Win 150 Grain.
Every other round I literally had to FORCE in using my hand to hammer down the bolt handle before I could shoot.

I went to the range store and bought some NORMA rounds and only around one in ten did I have the same issue.

I was using the ruger polymer 10 round mag.

Does anyone know if it is my rifle, magazine or the ammo I'm using that is the issue?

And can anyone recommend a good brand that works well with the scout for the range and also a good brand for hunting?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers.

Mac.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Something doesn't sound right. It should chamber ANY SAAMI spec round just fine. You might try MANY loads....If it continues, send the rifle back for repair....

Good luck.

D

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Sounds like a miscut chamber to me. You have already tried two different manufacturers, so the problem is not with the ammo. I'd send it back to Ruger.

·
Super Moderator
21,405 Posts
Probably cheaper to have a gunsmith in Australia check it out if you have to pay to ship it back. I'd call Ruger and see what their pleasure was.

I thought they fired a round through each firearm or is that just handguns?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. It doesn't seem right. I think they fire about 3 rounds through every rifle. It had definitely been fired. I'm going to take it back to the store this week and have their smith look at it and ill take the box of magtech back and see what they say.

Thanks for the reply's.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
I would be going back to see the guys where you purchased.
Also, the rifle would have been imported by NIOA.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Steel cased has caused problems in my sons GSR. I refuse to shoot the stuff in mine, so I'm not sure if it's just his or if this is common. I'm not familiar with the ammo you tried, but mine has fed everything.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I have contacts at NIOA if you get into strife.
James.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys!!

I thought I would just add that I have been using the polymer mags. I'm not used to bolt actions if I'm honest. But it kind of seems like the rounds sit a little low.
I have fed around 15 rounds of magtech through (without firing) and ejected them and only one wouldn't allow me to put the bolt handle down. I just raised the barrel and it fell out the breach. I wonder if it could be the bolt not gripping the round correctly.?

Forgive my ignorance...

I'm a bit of a NATO potatoe.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
Ruger mags or off bred?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Ruger mags
The problem you are experiencing is due to some of the early Ruger mfg polymer mags; and the magazine latch being out of spec on the GSR. Ruger has since changed the follower and spring to beef it up a bit. They will also replace your magazine latch if it falls into the correct S/N range. The OEM steel mags have had some issues when paired with the incorrect latch. But the weak spring and follower on the polymer mags made the problem even more pronounced.

Your observation regarding the round sitting lower is correct. I fixed my FTF's by sanding the outer bevel on my polymer magazine. I have since learned it was not what Ruger had in mind when attempting to fix the problem.:D

Ruger appears to have done an excellent job of listening and making the necessary engineering and assembly changes; however, another issue surfaced regarding the feed ramps on some Ruger GSR's. As is the case with many high demand fire arms, some details get over looked before they leave the factory. Some GSR owners are now getting the feed ramp polished; and no surprise; problem gone.

You might also go to ScoutRifle.org - The Scout Rifle Community - Index There is extensive discussion regarding magazines; latches; feed ramps and the resulting FTF's.

Since I replaced the latch; I have had no issue with FTF's in either the steel or poly mags. My GSR feed ramps probably need some polishing, but until I see the need, I'm leaving well enough alone.

Regards

Rod

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Rod!

Plenty of food for thought there.

I took my mags back to the store. They basically said they would exchange them for 2 stock mags. I told them that I didn't want another 2 steel mags as I wanted the polymer ones because they were shorter, lighter and fit better.
They said they could order 2 replacements but I would more than likely end up having the same problem.
Basically I got a refund on one and said I will accept one steel replacement mag. After all I don't need 3, 10 round mags, my days of military service are well behind me!

However,

I went to a range on Sunday and they sold the ruger polymer 5 round mags... I thought what the hell, ill try it.
Straight off the bat I noticed the rounds sitting higher and more brass/percussion cap exposed when looking at it... But I still had a miss feed on the second and fourth round (with magtech rounds). But then when I switched to Norma brand it fed better with only one or two missfeeds. By the end of the session the mag was working like a dream.

Is there a way I can order the 10 round polymer ruger mags, ensuring I get the fixed product?

I have to go through an Australian arms dealer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Good question; and I have no easy answer for you. The short answer would be to buy from Rugers online store; but that does not appear to be an option for you. My best recollection, the "improved" Ruger polymer mags started shipping this past summer. If you can pin down from your supplier when they were acquired it might give you some assurance/confidence in the purchase.

Rod

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.