Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking with the experts as I was inspecting a Ruger Scout today and I noticed when I pulled the bolt all the way to the rear there seemed to be a lot of play that it could move side to side with a lot of room to jiggle around.

Is this normal?

I did compare it to another 308 bolt they had, but it was a Savage (no other Rugers). I know my 77/357 isn't like that though that's a whole another animal as the bolt can't be pulled back that far out of the receiver.

Just checking it out before I decide to buy that wonderful looking 308!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 308 GSR has the same wobbly bolt -- from first break-open all the way to the rear. Problem is that that makes it require 2-3 "jiggles" to pull the bolt all the way back, then one or two more to eject the brass. I'm no novice at this -- 58 yrs old, shot lots of bolt guns, and this one has problems even after a trip back to the factory. And it does NOT matter what sort of lube I use. Just really sloppy machining of the receiver, I guess?? Anybody else have this problem.

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
My 308 GSR has the same wobbly bolt -- from first break-open all the way to the rear. Problem is that that makes it require 2-3 "jiggles" to pull the bolt all the way back, then one or two more to eject the brass.
Is this a new GSR? My bolt was rough until I cycled it maybe a few hundred times to "break it in". I had to do plenty of dry firing as well to break in the camming action of cocking the striker on opening.

The thing about the GSR is that the rear receiver bridge is very short and doesn't lend a lot of support to the bolt when all the way back. Some guns have longer receiver bridges that support the bolt better.

Yet, you mention extraction and ejection of brass. Does your Ruger have the same problem without firing live ammo?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have a new GSR also. The Bolt when fully opened has a lot of play in it also but it is tight on lock up. Mine is accurate though I am shooting 1/2 " groups at 75 yds with hand loads of course.

Glenn

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Ditto on all counts.

My GSR is VERY accurate.

I compared the bolts on the GSR to the Mossberg MVP-The Mossie is WAY looser. (Apparently doesn't affect the accuracy either).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout with a loose bolt. In fact it is so loose it can bind in the receiver when cycling the bold quickly. I have shot exactly 10 rounds through the rifle. I contacted Ruger and they said send it back. So I had my gun dealer send it back. Now we wait.

·
needs more ammo
1,096 Posts
I have a Ruger Gunsite Scout with a loose bolt. In fact it is so loose it can bind in the receiver when cycling the bold quickly. I have shot exactly 10 rounds through the rifle. I contacted Ruger and they said send it back. So I had my gun dealer send it back. Now we wait.
Unless something is amiss, that is likely normal. The bolt is very loose when all the way back, which can make it easy to bind it up when trying to run it forward in a hurry.

My best bolt running with my GSR is to add very slight pressure to the bolt to run on the left side of the receiver. That happens to be the longest side of the rear receiver bridge on a right handed GSR. Not too much pressure though as it can still hang up a bit.

This is assuming a properly feeding magazine. Stripping a cartridge from a magazine, particularly a full one, adds some effort.

·
Registered
543 Posts
All mine are the same I just spent some time cycling dummy .308 rounds through them and used a few squirts of that Remlube on the bolt. It shot maybe 150 rounds before it freed up. The "loose" action is a blessing it can digest an awful lot of dirt and forest gunk and still works like a reliable Swiss watch. There is a bit of a trick to where you put pressure on the bolt to stop it binding when quickly banging out rounds once you figure it out they are a great little rifle. Obviously not an Ar 15 but they can just smash out accurate rapid fire 10 round magazine after 10 round magazine till your shoulder goes blue once you master it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts