Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll!

Was looking at the Gunsite Scout in 556 and wanted to know your opinions on it (i.e. shootability, reliability, accuracy). I have my heart set on a 556 bolt gun with iron sights. Something about it just always draws me back to it. Thoughts and experiences?

·
Registered
545 Posts
I see these 556 scouts in the LGS and have been tempted to buy one a few times just to add to the collection of larger calibre ones I already have...all of mine shoot well, the iron sights are great, they are extremely reliable...I haven't shot a 556 version but have shot 100,s of rounds out of the .308s with no dramas..
I think the only thing they didn't get right was the magazine for the 556 its the bulky .308 mag with a plastic insert inside it "shrink " it to 556 size. That would be my only complaint.
Goodluck

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am a diehard Ruger fan......but for a "scout type" rifle in 5.56/223.....I went with the CZ carbine.....and do NOT regret it...it is a true Micro mauser action...

cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine-223-rem

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own the .308 and I love it!! Super accurate, I want to do a series of Videos on the whole line of the GSR.

IF you shoot 5.56, get one, you won't regret it

·
Cat Herder
1,626 Posts
I dig mine as well. With a Nikon 2.5-10 it will reach out and ring the steel plates at the 300 yard berm at my local range (10”) as long as I do my job with even cheap ammo (I use a lot of the American Eagle 55 grain at $6/box). Get the polymer mags, much better than the stock metal. I do wish it used AR mags, but I don’t see myself wearing out or breaking the polys. The barrel is heavy enough that I’ve had zero accuracy issues from heat- I’ll run all three of my mags through fairly quickly before letting it cool.

Word of advice- the trigger and bolt will feel rough and gritty when you buy it. After about 200 rounds and a few cleanings my trigger is smooth and crisp and my bolt is getting much slicker.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey everyone!
I finally picked up my GSR, Thank you to all who responded to this thread! It shoots great and am in love with it! Here is a video that I made on my first range trip, enjoy!

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Nice vid, you’re hired.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have the same 5.56 Gunsite Scout also stainless steel but left-handed. It is truly a rare version and shoots extremely well. You should be pleased with yours.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also have a left-hand 5.56 black as well as a .308 Stainless. I have to admit that I put a traditional scope on the 5.56, a LPV 1.5-8 Vortex HD. The .308 has a Burris 2-7 scout scope in Warne QD rings, but I generally only shot it with iron sights. Both carbines are equipped with Andy's Rhodesian slings. These have been my only two bolt action rifles for years. That changed yesterday when I ordered an American Predator in 6.5.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
I had a suppressor that needed a home and stumbled onto a 5.56 GSR for a steal. I bought it and it's a perfect match. Great rifle.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts