Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of getting a scout rifle as I want to get back into rifle shooting. Seems to be a few choices out there with the Savage Scout, Mossberg MVP Patrol, even the Remington SPS Tactical. The Ruger is the more expensive of the lot but I love the laminated stock among other features. If you own the Ruger I would like your opinion and you can list the pros/cons as well. Let me know what you think, is it worth the extra money? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I love my GSR. It is accurate. reliable, and it IS heavy duty.
It does almost everything exceedingly well. It is the epitome of the "one-rifle" mantra.

It is NOT a bench-rest target gun, an AR/AK/Mini14/M1-A substitute.

I have no regrets about buying it, vs. any other rifle system!

·
Banned
151 Posts
try the CZ 527,,,,,beautiful rifle,,available in several calibers...

·
Registered
5,332 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,313 Posts
I've had two GSRs. I bought the first one and then sold it. I missed it so I bought another one. I gave that one to my SIL. He loves it. I miss it and occasionally think about getting another one.

I have a love/hate relationship with the GSR. In concept I love it. The reality of owning one always left me not quite "getting it". Good rifles though. Well built, compact, durable, accurate, funky (in a cool way), great caliber, etc.

I'll probably get another one. Maybe I'll try the 223 this time.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask someone else. I'm all over the place with this rifle. Kinda like that redhead back in San Diego. I was drawn to her but when I was with her I couldn't figure out what I liked about her. Well, I know what I liked about her but beyond that she was annoying.

The GSR isn't annoying. Get one. Most owners really like theirs.

:confused:

·
Registered
17 Posts
GSR

I own a GSR and a SPS Remington 700. I enjoy shooting both but like the features offered on the GSR . I don't think you will regret your purchase.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I've had two GSRs. I bought the first one and then sold it. I missed it so I bought another one. I gave that one to my SIL. He loves it. I miss it and occasionally think about getting another one.

I have a love/hate relationship with the GSR. In concept I love it. The reality of owning one always left me not quite "getting it". Good rifles though. Well built, compact, durable, accurate, funky (in a cool way), great caliber, etc.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask someone else. I'm all over the place with this rifle. Kinda like that redhead back in San Diego. I was drawn to her but when I was with her I couldn't figure out what I liked about her. Well, I know what I liked about her but beyond that she was annoying.

If your gonna go the .223 rout, then try the American Ranch. I have one, and it is incredibly accurate. It has the 5.56 chamber, threaded barrel, and a 1:8 twist to help stabilize a slightly heavier bullet. Here's mine:

Even with cheaper 5.56mm (55 grain), it will consistently shoot MOA all day long.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts

I'm just sitting here think in that I wonder what the redhead would say if she read your post. :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
If you are obsessed with getting 1/2 inch groups, do not get it. But if you are ok with groups bigger than a dime and want light weight, flexible platform, then the GSR is is the gun for you. I like mine, I like the 10 round magazine for 7.62, and a reliable bolt action, I can decide where I want to put a scope. Personally I do not like the forward scope, I like it in the traditional spot. Too many people complain about it who have not even shot one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had a GSR for several years, buying one from Cabela's that had been used during the Gunsite Ranch workout. You need to have the right type of scope for the forward installation, either a Burris or leupold scout scope. I would also recommend the full length XS picatinny rib with the integral rear peep. I love the .308, but it does have a real good muzzle blast.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've had a GSR for several years, buying one from Cabela's that had been used during the Gunsite Ranch workout. You need to have the right type of scope for the forward installation, either a Burris or leupold scout scope. I would also recommend the full length XS picatinny rib with the integral rear peep. I love the .308, but it does have a real good muzzle blast.
I would also recommend the Weaver 4X28 Classic Scout Scope. Here is one mounted to my Rossi 357 Mag lever gun:

·
Registered
202 Posts
I have three GSR. The wood stocked rifles are heavy and do not make scout weight they are nice rifles and accurate.

With a Scout scope your can get 1/2 MOA but the point of the rifle is to make hits from point plank to 300 or 400 yards. that is a 6" plate at 300. It is a field rifle not a bench rifle. The rifle is accurate enough but you set it up for hitting targets from improvised field positions quickly. Also called snap shoots for quick hits on game.

I have the new polymer GSR and it does make weight if you remove the brake and install the supplied thread protector. The iron sights are very good if you can make hits with them take the scope rail of and don't bother with a scope. If you need a scope I like the fixed 2X Leupold Scout the low power is what you need in the field 2X to 2.5X no more. Burris make a nice one also. If you have a choice get the heavy reticle it works better in the field.

To get it the rifle needs to make weight and the polymer stocked GSR will, carry it in the field all day and you will get it.

You will need a sling to shoot with Andy makes both Ching slings and Rhodesian sling. ScoutRifle.org - Rhodesian and Ching Sling carry photos.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I will look into the Weaver 4X28. Suggestions for other scopes for the scout welcome.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Just a quick comment. With a forward mounted Scout scope you need to leave both eyes open to get the advantage using more than 3X this becomes very difficult for your eyes to focus with that much variation in your field of view. Just something to think about.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,389 Posts
I have the matte stainless GSR with the 18.7" barrel. I am a range safety officer and a hunting rifle instructor at my gun club. I ran a patch through my new rifle and took it to the range. I shot it from a bench rest and put a round in the 1" bull's eye at 100 yards with the peep sights and zero adjustments. Three other RSO/instructors shot it and put a round in the 1" bull's eye. I am extremely impressed with mine.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have decided that it will be the Ruger. All reviews I have seen lean towards the positive although the other choice would be the Savage Scout. Now to decide on .223 or .308. The .223 would be cheaper to shoot but I do not see any poly mags offered as the .308 does.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts