Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am into MKII's and Revolvers big time but my love for the long gun is 100% CZ, just because of the workmanship and no plastic parts,real wood real steel,and the out of box accuracy.. my second choice is Marlins just because they are USA made so far, and again real wood real steel.....New Remingtons and Winchesters ????? Pre 1970 ok. I am just curious, NY-Dan

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Yeah, I think it probably should have been in the rifle section, but what the heck? As for bolt action rifles, I think the Ruger 77 MK2 is one handsome rifle myself. My wife has one in .308, and I have one in 30/06 that I have had tricked out with an ER Shaw barrel, lapped lugs, Hogue stock, Timney trigger, Versa Pod bi-pod. It will do 1/2 to an inch all day long with my handloads (depending on the load). Here is my wifes rifle:

And here is mine:

Now, if we are talking about semi-autos, don't even get me started on the Mini 14. Lets just say it might look better, but it sure don't shoot better than this:

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My favorite as i just plain like it. short, easy to carry, light, easy to get in and out of a truck with. Sometheing about those mannlicher stocks that i just have to always stop and look at one. Accuracy good enough for its purpose.

.308 ruger m77mkIIrsi

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have to admit that those Ruger Long guns are handsome, especially that full stocker...

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Purty-I've always liked the looks of the 10/22 with the full-length stock...something about wood.....must be part termite....

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've wanted a Remington stainless M7 in .308 for years and finally won a Remington M700BDL at a gun show door prize. It was in .25-06. I made a swap for a Remington Stainless .308 M7 and put $300 worth of scope/mount/rings on it. I've been hunting almost exclusively with this thing since, except when I handgun hunt. I take it to the range every year and fire a couple of rounds and it hits spot on. It's been boppin' down rough roads in my old 4x4 Toyota, on my dirt bike, all over, always ready. I've taken some number of deer and hog with it since getting it and it's proven the perfect hunting rifle for me, light, compact in a box blind, powerful enough for anything I hunt, and 1 moa accurate.

I don't know if this was only for Ruger rifles. Only Ruger rifle I have is a very neat little 10/22 with a Hogue overmolded stock on it. I should get a pic of it, I guess, but everyone knows what a 10/22 looks like. It is stainless, too, have a thing for stainless.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How about this one, a poor man's mini 30 set up with a poor man's night vision? LOL What else do you do with a 75 dollar SKS that shoots good (3 moa ain't that good, but good nuf). My cheap hog hunting rig for night hunting, though I've only been out with it a couple of times and haven't shot anything. Scope has lighted reticule as well as the spot light that runs on a 6V battery. With a full moon, don't really need the spotlight with the lighted reticule.

Now, the gun cost me 75 bucks, but the stock was another 75 and by the time I got through adding dress up goodies the thing, I coulda bought a mini thirty. But, then, it wouldn't have been scoped or look as cool. LOL!

I shot a deer with this thing once in day light, but don't hunt with it and figured I needed to figure out something to do with it other than range plinking fun. It's a hoot at the range and surplus ammo, at least USED to be cheap. I'm going to start reloading it if it gets much worse.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Them sks's are one good knock around rifle but as is a little short stocked for me. Known a cpl of ole boys that sunk several hundred dollars in them and by the time they was done, you would have thought they would have to add a trailer hitch and license plates to just haul them around!!:D

Actually i do have a lot of respect for the sks for what it is and the makarov is another favorite---oh what the heck, i just like guns!

·
Registered
34 Posts
quote:Originally posted by deputy125

Them sks's are one good knock around rifle but as is a little short stocked for me. Known a cpl of ole boys that sunk several hundred dollars in them and by the time they was done, you would have thought they would have to add a trailer hitch and license plates to just haul them around!!:D

Actually i do have a lot of respect for the sks for what it is and the makarov is another favorite---oh what the heck, i just like guns!
Yeah, all true. The stock (and the recoil pad) lengthened pull. You get all these accessories catalogs like "Centerfire Systems" with all these SKS goodies in 'em and you say, "Hmm, that'd be way cool!" You order this then your order that, then when you got it dressed up, what have you got? It's a sub caliber weapon that you've justified as a "brush rifle" that weighs 3 lbs more than a handy little .30-30. ROFLMAO! But, hey, you don't feel the pain financially when you spend a little here and a little there and it's a fun rifle to shoot if nothing else. Everyone ought to have one to play with, but I prefer hunting with my Remington .308. LOL! Heck, I've got two SKSs. The other one is a Norinco paratrooper with a folding stock and chicom 20 round fixed magazine. I bought 'em both when they were dirt cheap back around 89. I was going through my milsurp period about that time. And, hey, the paratrooper looks REAL tacticool and is a heck of a lot more affordable than an AR or even an AK. It's more accurate than an AK and it never jams or does anything stupid, real dependable rifle. I can't knock the SKSs or the Maks (ain't got one of them, yet), total reliability for an affordable gun. My SKSs are pretty much toys, but hey, they're fun toys if nothing else. I no longer try to justify firearms, just buy 'em because I want to.

There are "SKS purists" that think you should be skinned if you dress one up. Hey, they're cheap, toss around guns, not collectibles. They're a time a dozen, tons of 'em on the market! Dress 'em up, have fun with 'em, and don't pee on me for dressing mine up! [:p]:D

I also have an Egyptian Hakim I bought for 80 bucks and it's in VERY good condition. This thing is a hoot. No accessories for it, but it's a hoot anyway. I did get a bayonet for it to dress it a bit, increase the future value if nothing else. I'll rattle off 10 rounds of 8x57 faster than I can type "8x57". It weighs about 11 lbs and it's long enough to use for a basketball goal post, not something you'd wanna tote in the woods all day, but hey, for 80 bucks it's pretty awesome. It freaks out the guys at the range when you load up this cannon and put 10 rounds down range in a few seconds. Recoil is nothing, heavy, and has a very effective muzzle brake. I just like playing with toys like this, don't hunt with 'em or anything. And, the Hakim has about doubled in value (conservatively) since I bought it, not that there's a big demand for 'em, but they are somewhat in short supply, weren't that many made. Wish I'd gotten the Rashid variant of the thing, though. That one IS rare, though I don't think it'd be near as fun to shoot, wimpy little 7.62x39. Rather have an SKS for shooting, but the Rashid is somewhat collectibles.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I have never tried it, but a cpl of "good ole' boys" told me that they take a dremmel and just cut off the tip of the cheap fmj 7.62x39 and dress it up to make it a flat point for hunting. Claim it will hit as hard and work just like a 30-30 in expansion. Never tried it but still makes one think since most deer around her are taken at under a hundred yards.
Onlt time i've seen people get in trouble with an sks is when they do a trigger job. Not done right it sure is suprising when one pull of the trigger will get you two or three rounds down range!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah, for those real outlaw tacticool types, I understand the sear is relatively easy to make full auto. But, even if I had a legal full auto, I couldn't afford to feed one. LOL I'm more of a one shot, one kill type anyway, hunter.

I reload the cartridge, was using a 135 grain .308 diameter Sierra "pro hunter" designed for the contender pistol at contender velocities in .30-30 and .30 Herret. However, Sierra has discontinued that round. It shot way low compared to milsurp and I have the gun zeroed for milsurp now just to play with. I've been thinking of trying a flat point for the .30-30 in it. It has a slightly bigger bore than .308, uses .311 bullets, but the .308 Sierra I was shooting went into 3" at 100 yards and I could shoot nice 6" groups at 200, so hunting woods ranges wasn't a problem. I killed a large doe with it one year, but haven't hunted with it all that much.

Recently, I've been shooting wolf hollowpoints that advertise (for hunting), but I get mixed reports on how effective they are. There is commercial soft point available, but I'd rather reload something effective, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Got the dies, got powder, just haven't had the initiative. LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts