Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
I like it. If I get one I will stick with 9mm since it’s compatible with the Luger.

·
Registered
229 Posts
They do, the rail is made by Midwest industries. They are out of stock at my distributor, but once available they will be about $160. Might be cheaper to sell your PC and buy the new model with the rail already installed.

The complete rifle with the factory included rail should be around $550, that is a great deal!!
The two rails are different if you look at them closely.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
The .40 cal. I’m happy about. The tacticool looking one with the free floating hand guard, not so much.

My biggest issue with pistol caliber carbines like this is that too me they’re basically expensive toys. They cause us headaches at our range. We have steel at 25, 50 and 100 yards. The steel at 25 and 50 is for rimfire and handguns, and we have a hard time keeping people from shooting it with AR’s. We’ve decided not to let people shoot the closer steel with pistol caliber carbines, as it confuses other shooters who think the carbines are rifles.

When we did allow shooting the 25 and 50 yard swingers with pc carbines, people seemed to waste a lot of expensive ammo blasting away at short range.

I’ve tried out Ruger PC Carbines at the range and have not been all that impressed. Accuracy seems to be lacking- at least with the examples I’ve tried out.

Ruger has found something that sells, and I say more power to them. It’s just not my cup,of tea.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I've fallen for the PCC in the past, and they are indeed fun. But I finally grudgingly admitted to myself that their practicality is lacking. The bullet really won't do a lot more to a target than a handgun will; if you want rifle power, use a rifle caliber.

If you just want a fun plinker to keep your rifle skills from getting rusty, that uses cheap ammo, use a .22LR rifle.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
JohnR, I agree. In fact, I would go so far as to say that for most purposes a 10/22 with good ammo is a lot more useful, and even just as effective as a 9mm carbine.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I hope Ruger doesn't forget about us 45 owners...I have no statistical proof of this, but I suspect there are more of us than there are 40 owners.

If they decide to not offer one in 45 I guess I will be forced to get the 9mm (which I would be totally happy with), but I am really hoping for a 45!

Hint Hint Ruger!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was wondering the same thing.

Although I hope never to be shot... if I was and I had a choice, I would rather get hit by a 22lr over any of the normal SD calibers.

These little carbines have caused curious reactions in the shooting community. I absolutely love mine and will probably buy another. It has great utility and is truly a "camp" carbine for my usage.

Plenty of people seem to really not like the idea though, not sure why other than it doesn't fit in their box of what guns should be.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
After reading many threads on the PC Carbine, I don't recall seeing a single person saying, "I wish it had a free float handguard with M-LOK slots," though I certainly may have missed it. I only recall wishes for other calibers, other mag adapters, and wood stock and forend. But apparently the folks who want M-LOK handguards a.) don't frequent this forum and b.) wrote to Ruger in droves asking for it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
After reading many threads on the PC Carbine, I don't recall seeing a single person saying, "I wish it had a free float handguard with M-LOK slots," though I certainly may have missed it. I only recall wishes for other calibers, other mag adapters, and wood stock and forend. But apparently the folks who want M-LOK handguards a.) don't frequent this forum and b.) wrote to Ruger in droves asking for it.
i think it's great. i like a thumb over bore grip and am currently unable to do that. So the new hand guards coming out will be awesome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i think it's great. i like a thumb over bore grip and am currently unable to do that. So the new hand guards coming out will be awesome.
Agreed!!

Many who shoot 3 Gun or want to compete with the Ruger as PCC like the thumb over barrel or C clamp grip which was not possible with the original PCC. This free float barrel changes that and opens up a new market for the PCC as cost competitive with AR based 9 mm carbines.

Put a flashlight on and/or a laser and it becomes another potential home defense solution.

Ruger knows how to expand their market base.

·
Banned
124 Posts
JohnR, I agree. In fact, I would go so far as to say that for most purposes a 10/22 with good ammo is a lot more useful, and even just as effective as a 9mm carbine.

Effective at what?
Please don't take what I am about to say the wrong way.

I have a non-Ruger semi auto .22 that will single hole at 75 yards. It will do dime size holes at 100 yards... NOT using match ammo.

That is eye socket size for most creatures... up to and including two legged ones... and grey matter has a hard time recovering from lead poisoning.

So effective at what???

Don't under estimate the lowly .22 when the ammo works well in a well made barrel.

·
Banned
124 Posts
That being said... if Ruger did this carbine in .45 , and they made it with an adapter for 1911 mags... I would be all over that! Same for the 9mm, (1911), too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
That being said... if Ruger did this carbine in .45 , and they made it with an adapter for 1911 mags... I would be all over that! Same for the 9mm, (1911), too.
Marlin made their Camp Carbine in 45 acp that took standard mags from 1985-1999. They just did not sell enough to keep them in production. The 9mm version did not hold up very well because folks were shooting cheap import 9mm ammo in them, which was actually plus P level, designed for machine guns. And the 45 acp does not gain much velocity with the 18 inch barrel, less than 200 fps, so not much power gain. Not legal for hunting deer in most states, so they just dropped them from production In fact, once you pass about 50 yards, you would be much better off with a 30 cal carbine. But then again, the same size weight gets you into the ARs or Mini 14s, Mini 30 etc. same or less money, so no market for them. FYI

·
Banned
124 Posts
The biggest issue with the Marlin camp rifles was the bolt buffer at the rear of the receiver. It was made of plastic and would crack with heavy loads and usage. I'm surprised that no one hasn't machined a replacement out of urethane because it's alot more durable.

The second issue, (IIRC), is that they were only compatible with certain 9mm S&W mags, and nobody had come up with the idea of the magwell adapter yet

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
You are not reading enough forums. The USPSA, IDPA, 3-gun forums have had many requests for an AR-type handguard for the Ruger PC Carbine and a couple of aftermarket makers already offer them. Ruger is meeting a wide spread demand elsewhere.

Remember, the PC Carbine is very popular for speed competitions in states that limit AR ownership for cosmetic reasons. Ruger has the right gun at the right time and was not foolish enough to limit it to proprietary magazines as it did with the original Police Carbines.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts