Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ruger M77 Hawkeye LRT

I just ordered one. It will be the 6.5 Creedmoor caliber. I should have it by next Friday. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Illinois!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've now put 100 rounds through mine. First group was .790 at 100 yards. Barrel break-in went well. Now I'm working up an accuracy load. I've started with 35gr of IMR4064, 140gr Hornady HPBT, Hornady brass, and Federal #210 primers. I'll fool around with seating depth first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolt Closing Issue

Have been having great success with 6.5 CM LTR out to 600 yards - repeatedly holding sub-MOA groups. Am having hard bolt close issue though about 5-7 times out of 20. It seems like when the bolt tries to close the extractor is having difficulty grabbing the lip on the cartridge. The round is seated in the chamber and the only way to get to work is to slam the bolt a couple of times (hard) until it grabs the lip. This occurs when I single load or clip feed - reloads or Hornady factory rounds. My friend bought same rifle at same time and he hasn't had the first problem. Anybody heard of or experienced this issue? Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've been eyeing the Hawkeye LRT in 6.5CM for a few weeks now. Seriously considering picking one up after having sold my Savage 10 PC last year. I was thinking about the Ruger Precision, but didn't like the fact that you can't single feed without modification.

Is the LRT magazine for the 6.5 single stack? Is it an AICS pattern mag, or Ruger proprietary?

Also, is the muzzle brake secured with a jam nut? I understand the threads are also 1/2x28. I ask because I'd like to run my Griffin Optimus suppressor on it.

I've seen reviews on this rifle in 300WM, but not much in terms of the 6.5. Was curious as to overall accuracy.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Is the LRT magazine for the 6.5 single stack? Is it an AICS pattern mag, or Ruger proprietary?

Also, is the muzzle brake secured with a jam nut? I understand the threads are also 1/2x28.

I've seen reviews on this rifle in 300WM, but not much in terms of the 6.5. Was curious as to overall accuracy.
I don’t own one (I’m an RPR guy) but I have looked at one.

The 6.5 has a 10 round mag and the rifle is AI compatible.

It does have a jam nut..........5/8-24 thread pattern, not 1/2-28.

I wouldn’t worry about accuracy, it’s a Creedmoor. I would load/shoot bullets in the 140 range though. The 6.5 really shines with bullets at that weight.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I don’t own one (I’m an RPR guy) but I have looked at one.

The 6.5 has a 10 round mag and the rifle is AI compatible.

It does have a jam nut..........5/8-24 thread pattern, not 1/2-28.

I wouldn’t worry about accuracy, it’s a Creedmoor. I would load/shoot bullets in the 140 range though. The 6.5 really shines with bullets at that weight.
Thank you Mark for the info. That's very helpful. Glad to hear it'll take AI compatible mags as well.

One other thing I wasn't sure about, but I understand that M77 triggers aren't adjustable. Although I hear the 2nd stage on these is breaking right around 2.5 pounds. Am I wrong in my assumption that the trigger can't be adjusted?

I'm looking to spend $1000 or less. Not really looking for something crazy, but a rifle that's accurate enough that I can cook up a load for. Torn between this, and offerings from Remington and Howa at the moment. I've had bad luck in the past with Remington. Much better with Savage, although that also had its own issues. Don't know anything about Howa except they're made in Japan and have generally good reviews.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
The trigger is adjustable, I didn’t look to hard but I’m assuming it’s adjusted the same way an RPR is (through the mag well). I believe it’s 2.5 to 5lbs, my Precision is at 1.5lb.

What I didn’t like about it was the grip, it’s not like a conventional rifle nor is it like an AR. I’m not sure if I could get used to it, kinda strange.

I think it weighs in at about the same weight as the Precision but with a 26” tube. Stick a can on that and it’s gonna be pretty “front” heavy. Definitely a bench or prone shooter IMO.

The stock is laminate, it looks like a composite but it not.

I single load my Precision, kind of a PITA but it can be done. I thought I saw on another site a mag that can be used to facilitate single loading in the Precision. Do you know for a fact you can single load the LRT? I can’t imagine it’s gonna be any different than the Precision. I believe it’s the same mag but I’ve been wrong before.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The trigger is adjustable, I didn’t look to hard but I’m assuming it’s adjusted the same way an RPR is (through the mag well). I believe it’s 2.5 to 5lbs, my Precision is at 1.5lb.

What I didn’t like about it was the grip, it’s not like a conventional rifle nor is it like an AR. I’m not sure if I could get used to it, kinda strange.

I think it weighs in at about the same weight as the Precision but with a 26” tube. Stick a can on that and it’s gonna be pretty “front” heavy. Definitely a bench or prone shooter IMO.

The stock is laminate, it looks like a composite but it not.

I single load my Precision, kind of a PITA but it can be done. I thought I saw on another site a mag that can be used to facilitate single loading in the Precision. Do you know for a fact you can single load the LRT? I can’t imagine it’s gonna be any different than the Precision. I believe it’s the same mag but I’ve been wrong before.
I've seen a video of someone single loading the LRT. It is based on a slightly modified Mauser action, whereas (correct me if I'm wrong), but the RPR is a Ruger American action in a chassis. If the LRT does in fact take AICS mags, single loading should be fine as there's not bolt stop sticking up from the mag. I think that's the problem with the RPR as far as single loading goes.

I was aware that the LRT uses a laminate stock that's been painted over. Should be OK; not as rigid as composite or aluminum though but unless you're in an incredibly wet and humid environment, the laminate should be fine.

About the barrel length... on that part, I'm a bit torn. 26" with a can, especially since I'd be running my Optimus in its full length configuration can be front heavy. I'd be shooting prone or from a bench though, so overall not too big of a deal. The can's weight though on the end of a 26" barrel I'm sure will induce some serious POI shift. Perhaps 24" would be better.

Have a look at this link: https://www.legacysports.com/catalog/howa/howa-hcr-chassis-rifle/

Was just perusing and saw that. Classic has that exact setup on sale for under $1400. The scope I could care less for.. would probably throw it on one of other rifles just for giggles. But that Howa already comes with a chassis and a 20 MOA base. So far, the reviews have been very good. Just watched one done by Sniper's Hide and they were impressed given the performance to price ratio. It does have a threaded 24" barrel though. One thing I'm unsure about is long-term customer support from Legacy International (Howa's USA importer). At least with Ruger, I know exactly what I'm getting.

Choices.. choices...

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Ha, you’ve got me on the action, I don’t know......may have to look into that.

Personally I have had no issues with the laminate stocks, I have them on 3 Ruger V-T’s. I wasn’t sure if knew or cared.

The Howa looks good, I’ll have to look it up on SH, it’s a pretty good channel. Truth be told I’m kinda stuck on Ruger’s, the last bolt action rifle I bought that wasn’t a Ruger was in 1982. It’s hard for me to look at anything else when I factor in how accurate my bolts are. I don’t call it loyalty, I call it trust.

Are you new to the 6.5 caliber? If you are I can offer you a good place to start load wise. It’ll save you a little time and money.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yes, I'm new to the 6.5. been shooting. 308 for anything past 500 yards. Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Yes, I'm new to the 6.5. been shooting. 308 for anything past 500 yards. Thanks in advance for any info you could provide.
You’ll definitely be in for a treat when you get behind a 6.5. Ballistically it doesn’t compare to anything under .30 caliber, it will out run the .308 at an extended range with a comparable bullet weight.

When the time comes post something or shoot me a PM I’ll give some load data that works in my Creedmoor and others.

If you want it now let me know, I’ll post it up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad I found this forum and thread. I've purchased the Hawkeye Long Range Target in 6.5 PRC in November and just starting to sight it in.

In my first box of Hornady 147ELD Match have had 3 misfeeds - round is chambered but bolt not locked on rim. Appears to be happening in 2nd round of magazine feed. Actually have run 16 rounds thru rifle - with 3 of those resulting in misfeeds.

Anyone else seeing this?

I see on this feed that the magazines are AI compatible - good news I think I'll try one of those and see what happens.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,998 Posts
Have looked at them several times, however the one I want is the 300 win mag. Long range, Long action. Plus already have a ton of .308 bullets I load, and have some 300 win mag brass around, been waiting for an excuse to buy a 300.

·
Registered
5,958 Posts
Yes i do I’m working on finding the best factory load
Based on your screen name I’m gonna go out on a limb here and and assume your LRT is chambered in 6.5 Creed. That said I’d suggest you take a look at Hornady’s Precision Hunter line. Yes they cost a little more, (maybe $32/20) but they’re top notch, the 143’s carry a .625 BC. My buddy uses them in his Creed and 7 Mag, (he doesn’t load) I bought some for the brass and to sight in my RPR the first time out, before I finished the box I was pulling .5” groups at 200yds. Just my opinion, but I think the Precision Hunter line will bring out the best in any rifle regardless of caliber.

Reactions: Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
6,998 Posts
Interesting Mark, will look at them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts