Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
I don't know it is really any less scary but Ruger Mini 14s are easy to field strip and far easier to clean than AR 15, plus they don't have to be dental tool clean. Yet somehow the AR snobs find their way into comments section of the article to do a 'got ya' of "Oh those French need to upgrade, those Mini 14s are yesterday guns and can't hold groups.... blah blah blah." It amazes me how much they can troll. It's like any time anyone has success with a Ruger Mini some AR snob has to justify the hundreds if not thousands of dollars more he put into his gun to 'prove' it was money well spent compared to the guy who just bought a Mini 14 who actually got a set of iron sights with his gun and scope rings... unlike most budget ARs, some people I tell you man.. lol! Sorry mini rant I know! Mini you get that :D ? Ok seriously that is cool to know other countries do use it.

·
Banned
513 Posts
I don't know it is really any less scary but Ruger Mini 14s are easy to field strip and far easier to clean than AR 15, plus they don't have to be dental tool clean. Yet somehow the AR snobs find their way into comments section of the article to do a 'got ya' of "Oh those French need to upgrade, those Mini 14s are yesterday guns and can't hold groups.... blah blah blah." It amazes me how much they can troll. It's like any time anyone has success with a Ruger Mini some AR snob has to justify the hundreds if not thousands of dollars more he put into his gun to 'prove' it was money well spent compared to the guy who just bought a Mini 14 who actually got a set of iron sights with his gun and scope rings... unlike most budget ARs, some people I tell you man.. lol! Sorry mini rant I know! Mini you get that :D ? Ok seriously that is cool to know other countries do use it.

I read that comment you speak of. People need a fraken reality check, engagements on the streets are probably no more than 50 feet, well with in the mini's limits. But like clock work the AR snobs rears his head and starts there MOA B.S. I would be more than confidant with one of those old mini's by my side any day.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,065 Posts
I sit the fence on this one, love the mini 14, 30, AR, and the official bad guy gun the AK. All have their own place in my heart, with me at the range, and residing in my gun safe.:D

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Pics of the French Police Mousqueton AMD's

I have been lusting after the classy checkered walnut stocks with the sling/oiler slot a la M1 Carbine. As you can see, the charging handle is quite different than our Mini's, as is the mag release. Also note the "giggle switch" selector on the right rear of the receiver for single, 3 round burst and full auto.
Apparently the select fire Mini's are issued to the Federal Police, while French prison guards only get the semi-auto version. Some of these semi-auto ones are being sold to civilians there, going by the website at the bottom, if you translate from French. Scroll down on the Nolasco website to see the laid-back magazine release.

AMD
https://www.forgottenweapons.com/french-police-mini-14/
Shooting Illustrated | The Mousqueton A.M.D.? France's Mini-14

·
"The Real Deal"
7,065 Posts
I have been lusting after the classy checkered walnut stocks with the sling/oiler slot a la M1 Carbine. As you can see, the charging handle is quite different than our Mini's, as is the mag release. Also note the "giggle switch" selector on the right rear of the receiver for single, 3 round burst and full auto.
Apparently the select fire Mini's are issued to the Federal Police, while French prison guards only get the semi-auto version. Some of these semi-auto ones are being sold to civilians there.]

It seems that charging handle would be more tough to manipulate from its looks, guess they were worried it would break? Never seen one break myself like we have here in the US.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I do wish they offered the stock for the US Market, it looks pretty neat. Yeah I agree that charging handle is unnecessarily bulky, the stock one is very sturdy as is.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Years ago, GONRA had the impression (?) that the Civilian French
gottalotta Mini-14's 'cause the wood stocked rifle didn't look so nasty.

All the fotos I saw on TV were soldiers armed wth the FAMAS ("bugle") however.
FAMAS is great to shoot, but I don't allow anyone to shoot mine -
not sure how safe is REALLY is. Heard the French are replacing them.....

·
Registered
686 Posts
Great rifles, and "innocent looking" to the general public ("gee it looks like the French still use WW2 surplus").

Unfortunately, it's possible that for us EU citizens, these will become things to look at on pictures only. Because, off course the most effective measure that one can take after a bunch of lunatic terrorists kills with illegal automatic rifles, is to attempt to forbid semi-automatic rifles for law abiding citizens...

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I've see a lot of footage, especially on Fox, and it looks like the various police have the Ruger .223's and Beretta Model 12 9mm SMG's and the troops have the FAMAS rifles. The newscasters can't tell soldiers from police, so they do some mis-narration.

In Belgium, I see mainly soldiers with what I think are FN- CAL or similar rifles.

Can't tell much about the Belgian handguns. The French are using SIG P-2022 9mm's. One camera focussed on the butt of a Belgian pistol, but all I could tell was that it was a thick-butted one with probably a double column magazine, probably a Browning Hi-Power.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Can't tell much about the Belgian handguns. The French are using SIG P-2022 9mm's. One camera focussed on the butt of a Belgian pistol, but all I could tell was that it was a thick-butted one with probably a double column magazine, probably a Browning Hi-Power.
Local police mainly relies on glock (they have some level of freedom to choose). Federal police on s&w mp9. The latter replaced their hi-powers with the mp9 in 2011. Since then that s&w crap all had to be taken back to the factory to fix a production error and an investigation has been started about corruption during the gun selection process. It was a stupid decision....

I don't know what special units wield, but I've seen them with glocks. And I'll have to check what the current standard military handgun is (that could still be the p35, but again, I'll need to check)

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
AMD? I think these are French made copies of the Mini, made under license?

Like the Manurhin F1 Police, which was a Six series clone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts