Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a copy of the book Ruger & His Guns by R. L. Wilson recently and have found it to be an interesting read and resource. It's probably old news to you guys who have been into all things Ruger for years and years but for a guy that's still fairly new to the brand I have found it helpful. It may not be an exhaustive catalog of every gun to bear the Ruger name but it sure gives the poorly initiated some good context to Ruger firearms and it educated me on just who the late Bill Ruger was.

I'm just throwing it out there in case there are others who may be interested or are neophytes like me and haven't heard of it. I kinda like books anyway and this one is pretty nicely done - over 300 pages, large format, hardback, lots of photos, drawings (really cool cutaway views of lots of products), indexes, lists, etc. And Amazon sells it for only $17.98! Picked it up along with a reloading manual and got free shipping to boot.

Wave

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I got a copy of the book Ruger & His Guns by R. L. Wilson recently and have found it to be an interesting read and resource. It's probably old news to you guys who have been into all things Ruger for years and years but for a guy that's still fairly new to the brand I have found it helpful. It may not be an exhaustive catalog of every gun to bear the Ruger name but it sure gives the poorly initiated some good context to Ruger firearms and it educated me on just who the late Bill Ruger was.

I'm just throwing it out there in case there are others who may be interested or are neophytes like me and haven't heard of it. I kinda like books anyway and this one is pretty nicely done - over 300 pages, large format, hardback, lots of photos, drawings (really cool cutaway views of lots of products), indexes, lists, etc. And Amazon sells it for only $17.98! Picked it up along with a reloading manual and got free shipping to boot.

Wave
Interesting.
Could you post the ISBN off it, I'll see if it is available over here.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Interesting.
Could you post the ISBN off it, I'll see if it is available over here.
Thanks.
ISBN 978-0-7858-2103-8

I was lucky to find a new copy at a discount book store for $9.99. Its a great book, very detailed about the inner workings of the Ruger factory and the design process that went into the original firearms from the beginning up to the mid 90s. I wish there was another book that would take us up to the present. I did find the book disjointed, and difficult to follow, because of the way it was laid out. Once I figured out how it was put together, I was able to follow it. It has financial reports, and other peoples obsevations scattered through the actual meat of the book, and it can be very confusing to follow. It is an excellent book, loaded with lots of info, color photos and all the variations of the different models.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
ISBN 978-0-7858-2103-8

I was lucky to find a new copy at a discount book store for $9.99. Its a great book, very detailed about the inner workings of the Ruger factory and the design process that went into the original firearms from the beginning up to the mid 90s. I wish there was another book that would take us up to the present. I did find the book disjointed, and difficult to follow, because of the way it was laid out. Once I figured out how it was put together, I was able to follow it. It has financial reports, and other peoples obsevations scattered through the actual meat of the book, and it can be very confusing to follow. It is an excellent book, loaded with lots of info, color photos and all the variations of the different models.
I paid about the same on ebay for a new old stock book. You are right about how it is written.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks for the info on the book. I am going to look for a copy.

Although I only own two Ruger handguns (SR1911 & Mark III Target), they are both models of craftsmanship, accuracy, and beauty. As I watch tv in the evening, I often leave them on the coffee table with the cases open just so I can admire them.

It is remarkable that Ruger can build such beautiful handguns with such great accuracy for such a low price. IMO, there are a lot of far more expensive handguns that don't have near the craftsmanship of similar weapons built by Ruger. And they have the added bonus of being made in the good old USA!

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Thanks for the link to the book. At $9.99, you picked up one heck of a bargain.

I just noticed that 1/2 of my meager gun collection are Rugers. I just ordered a copy off Amazon.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I have a copy I picked up on a Books-A-Million rack for $12. Second printing, printed in ( cringe) China, but still nicely made. I enjoyed the insight into Bill Ruger more than the tech stuff on the guns, but it's all good reading.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts