Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Taurus 617. Its a 2" stainless, 7 shot .357 Double Action revolver, built on the Tracker frame. The Tracker is exactly the same size as the GP100, except is slightly shorter from the bottom of the trigger guard, to the top of the top strap. The cylinder is the same diameter, except it has the 7 shot capacity. Today I was comparing my 3" GP100, to my new 617, and I wonder why Ruger has never offered a GP100 in a 2" 7 shot .357? Yes, I know Ruger had a 7 shot 327 Federal GP100, but it was a 4" model, and thats not what I am thinking. Smith & Wesson has the 686+, a 7 shot 357, Taurus has the 617, why doesn't Ruger offer the same? I think it would be a big success.

My Taurus 617 is a well built, stylish revolver, and will be perfect for home defense. However, I really like, and trust Ruger revolvers. If Ruger had the GP100 I am thinking of, I would have purchased it, instead of the 617.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Taurus haters will be out like clockwork, i have a 8 shot Taurus 22mag SS Wheelgun my late father left me, works like a charm. If i go clear trails, its the gun i take.
Id link a vid from You tube butt they dont work here.

:confused:

I'm with you on Ruger weapons, i trust them to make what they sell work well or else they fix it. I cant say that about any other company.

:)

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
No Taurus bashing from me. Don't own one, but have shot several.

Yeah, I think Ruger has some catching up to do on adding a 7 shot GP, too, but I suspect they're still selling the standard 6 shot like the usual cray.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
Well the Ruger is more Rugged than the two mentioned, my guess they want to build on that reputation rather than thin things up just to have one more round capacity.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I've been saying it for years , don't see why they havent done it yet since both Taurus and Smith have ... I bet there sales would double and just think of how many GP owners would be trading in there six shooters for seven .

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
Well the Ruger is more Rugged than the two mentioned, my guess they want to build on that reputation rather than thin things up just to have one more round capacity.
I concur...Ruger has the most rugged frame in the industry...why mess that up?

To be honest...I wouldn't mind a 686+...they feel great in the hand and Smith's quality with them is good! I actually considered getting one after NY passed their 7-round max law...just in case any idiots decided to copy it...fortunately, no one did!

On the flip side, I've owned three (3) Taurus pistols...which was 2 too many after I sold the 1st one (which made 2 trips in for repairs and they still didn't solve the problem of the cylinder locking up after the 1st shot...piece-of-crap model 850.)

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
I was just in a LGS today and handled an 8-shot 627 snubbie. Barrel was less than 2". Cool gun - slab sided barrel with a window for the ejector rod. But spendy. They also had a 2.5" 686+ 7-shot. The 686+ felt nice. I like snubbies and already have a 3" 686+ - nice gun.

Step one would be a 7-shot GP100 in a standard popular length like 4.2". A 2" barreled GP100 would mean a shorter ejector rod. The shortest you can cut down a GP100 and keep the standard ER and shroud is 2.6".

The frustrating thing (if it's really that frustrating) is the basics to do it are already in place at Ruger. It would seem from here in the cheap seats that the 327 GP100 shows the timing and engineering of a 7 shot is "done" - just ream the 7 shot cylinder to 357 Magnum and screw in a 357 barrel. 3", 4" , 5" or 6" are just stock barrels. Below 3" and there's some additional design work needed.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I don't see the real point of under 3" for .357 in a GP-sized frame. Maybe for LCR or SP which have the concealability advantage. But a 3" or 4" 7-shot would be a great addition.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Ruger has designed there guns not to have the bolt cut in line with the chamber. A seven shot without redesigning the frame will put it inline with the chamber. On a 686 plus it moves the bolt cut away from the chamber.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Not a taurus hater, but had a 617 and went back 2x and upon return both time same issues.

I have a 7 round model 66 Taurus in 6" Blue. That shoot and hunts fine. Had a 686+ in 2.5" S&W that was a great gun. Traded that with cash for a Colt SAA 5.5" 357.

The 7 round format is a good choice. The 8 round S&W TR8 is also a strong choice. Lots of front men in a Swat Team use it when breaching a door I have read.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Ruger has designed there guns not to have the bolt cut in line with the chamber. A seven shot without redesigning the frame will put it inline with the chamber. On a 686 plus it moves the bolt cut away from the chamber.
Where does the notch fall on the 7 shot GP100 in 327? I've never seen one in person so I don't know.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The notches on the .327 are away from the chamber, since the.327 is much smaller than .357 they can get away with it.

For those who haven't fired a .327, the 7-shot .327 GP100 is pretty much your answer for a 7-holer defensive GP100........I love mine. Too bad for some reason Ruger dropped them, and they go for nearly $1,000 used now. Maybe if the .327 SP 4" sells well they'll bring out a TALO version.......I always thought a .327 Wiley Clapp would be ideal, of course a 7-shot. Once you fire a .327 you'll either fall in love with it or not, it's one of those rounds.

I honestly don't see a 7-shot .357 on the GP100 frame happening, given the original design intent of the GP to be a bombproof tank tough service revolver, Ruger wouldn't want to sacrifice that well earned title.

I think you'd have to go with a 686+ or a Taurus 66 for the 7th hole, as for me, 6 rounds is fine:)

I'm no Taurus basher, I'll admit I've gotten a few "lemons" from them but my newer 82 is an excellent revolver, as well as my 1990's 65. Just got 2 85's that are good utility carry guns. I don't look for them but when they pop up for good deals I can't resist. They do well if you leave the rebound spring alone and put in a Wolff mainspring. I don't have any Taurus autos and don't plan on getting any.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Would love to have a GP100, .357 in either 2" or 2.5", 6 or 7 shot.
oh yeah, bob1943. I'd spring for a 2.5 or 3" 7 shot in a second!
This is my 2.6" GP100 and you can see the standard ejector shroud length makes this about as short as you can go. Aesthetically this may be a little too short for that matter. Anything shorter and you would have to get really creative with the ejector and shroud. Not saying it can't be done but Ruger would have to design and tool up something special and they seem to like to stick with standard stuff in their platforms.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I have wondered why no Ruger 7 shot gp 100. I gave my oldest daughter an 8 shot Taurus 22 that was a copy o the Smith 34 as her first house gun so that is how much I trust Taurus.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
One thought on the subject Weblance. As you have both the 617 and the GP100 take a caliper and measure from the center of the cylinder axis to the bore center on the forcing cone. If the Taurus in equal to or less than the GP100 than the GP could be configured in 7 shot. If it is not Ruger would have to relocate the barrel further from the cylinder axis which could be done but would cost more. This is what S&W did on the 8 shot N frames.

I agree with the short barrel proposition on the GP. A 7 shot 2.75" GP with adjustable sights and interchangeable front would be a great idea. If the cylinder diameter was increased slightly a 5 shot .44 Mag GP could be done, also. Come to think about it that would be an ideal pair: .44 GP in 3" and .357 7 shot in 2.75" and could even use the same holsters.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts