Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help. Found a GP100 that apparently was shipped to a foreign gov't and then ret'd to the states for resale as new. Has a stamping on gun indicating such. Seller says "as new". Looks new, has papers and box but not the usual stuff such as lock, etc.
I sure would appreciate any thoughts on whether it would be wise to steer clear or jump on a good price.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Who's selling it? Online auction? Someone you know? What does the stamping say? Anyway you could post pics of the gun? Post a link to the auction, if that's the case? That'll get you better answers I think.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
A bit more info would be nice. My guess is the importer is CIA(century intl arms)? Or is it CAI? I get confused.
Anyway be sure to check as to its exact caliber--could be a 38 only, 357, or some other animal.

From what i heard, some of these recent re-imports are from Canada. Years ago some had been re-imported from egypt as well.

Whats the price? Seen used gp's at auctions going anywhere from $350 to 425.

If it is a good price and a .357, i'd probably jump on it if you trust the seller.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The GP100 is a .357, 3", SA, SS. It is priced at $375 from a local dealer at a show. I was concerned and curious if the practice was normal. It sounds like it is. I hadn't run across this before. It does seem like I read about it in a rag previously.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Sounds like a good deal especially 3" described "as new".

Even better if its a short shroud as they recently quit making those.

·
Registered
540 Posts
My 4" GP100 was a re-imported police turn-in. It was a DAO, with a compact grip. Looked like it was dragged to the dealer behind the truck.

Put a standard hammer in it, converting it to SA/DA, sanded all the scratches out, kept going til 1500 grit, then finished with some polish, added a full size grip, and ended up with this for under $300:

Shoots right where ya point it too!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice looking gun! What year was it made? Mine has a full shroud. Did they stop making the shorter shroud or was that unique?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
My 4" GP100 was a re-imported police turn-in. It was a DAO, with a compact grip. Looked like it was dragged to the dealer behind the truck.

Put a standard hammer in it, converting it to SA/DA, sanded all the scratches out, kept going til 1500 grit, then finished with some polish, added a full size grip, and ended up with this for under $300:

Shoots right where ya point it too!
You did a real good job! Looks amazing!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yea, I missed that. Thanks. I think I'll get a little more serious about buying this gun. Might be too late. It's been two days.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
There were some unusual combinations of caliber and configurations exported. If it has a lanyard ring, unusual caliber or has all the original paperwork and box it can be worth slightly more as a collector piece if in LNIB condition. Otherwise treat it like any other good used GP100. If condition checks out the price is OK. If not 'like new' I would try offer less and negotiate. If it was a French export, check for dirt in the barrel from being thrown on the ground while retreating.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Code:
If it was a French export, check for dirt in the barrel from being thrown on the ground while retreating.
:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts