Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got my desired 5 1/4" Target Heavy Taper in a Ruger 22/45 KP-514! The Zytel lower is very solid, with the original owner sending it off to get the front\back grip areas stippled for a non-slip hold. Spent 3-4 hrs of careful detailed action cleaning. It's a 1994 and the interior showed every bit of grim, dirt and rimfire fouling grit for every one of those "26" years of use! Exterior is perfect and overall, it cleaned up Very Nicely. Once cleaned and lubed, the Ruger Target trigger has zero-creep, breaks at a very crisp 2.5# and has minimal PT and OT...Very Nice! After cleaning the bore, the rifling Suddenly Appeared...imagine that!! Overall, feel 3 Franklins were worth this purchase!! :D

I've always associated this Ruger first polymer 22/45 lower with the regular tapered KP-4/6 and the Bull Barrel KP-512. Does anyone know if the KP-514 was equally prevalent?!? Even with the VQ drop-in parts I have, believe will leave well-enough alone! When our range opens back up, I'll check it's accuracy and possibly have it for a field side carry!! ;)

Ted

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,252 Posts
Congrats and enjoy. Sounds like you did well.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I saw that one for sale. Glad you got it! I think you'll enjoy it.

I picked mine up 11 years ago when I was looking for a KMK514 too. Walked into a gun show and it was on the second table inside the door. Go figure.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I saw that one for sale. Glad you got it! I think you'll enjoy it.

I picked mine up 11 years ago when I was looking for a KMK514 too. Walked into a gun show and it was on the second table inside the door. Go figure.
HSG,

Saw it and recognized the HT 5 1/4" barrel...quickly hit the "BIN" button!! (y)

I've always associated Ruger's first polymer 22/45 lower with the regular tapered KP-4/6 and the Bull Barrel KP-512 uppers. Do you know (or anyone else) if this KP-514 upper is equally prevalent, or is it like the MkI and MkII 514's, a rare and endangered species?!? :unsure:

Ted

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks All for the kind compliments! Believe it Will Be a FUN Shooter! :giggle:

Ted

·
Registered
631 Posts
I was told that much of the first year production of the 22/45 was the KP514 but I don’t know if that is true. You would probably have to subscribe to the RENE to find out for sure.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was told that much of the first year production of the 22/45 was the KP514 but I don’t know if that is true. You would probably have to subscribe to the RENE to find out for sure.
HSG,

Appears you are correct! Chad Hiddleson's "Encyclopedia of Ruger" Chapter 3 (MkII era) ends with some info on the new Zytel KP-514, introduced in April 92'. Although the KP-4 & KP-512 had been announced, Chad states as of his 93' book publication date, they had not started shipping yet. Seems the KP-514 may have had sales for a full one year before it's siblings came on the scene! o_O

Thanks for the heads-up! FWIW, just got my EoR copy! 🥴

Ted

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Well, my first Ruger 5.25 heavy taper is in the hands of someone who needed it more than me...my youngest son!! He moved his family away from subdivision suburbia to a nice 10 acre spread. Has a picture-perfect cypress swamp, an acre crawfish pond, a flowing tributary river (called a bayou here) and about 7 acres of landscaped lawn to cut! He had no rimfire side arm so what's a dad to do...he'd eventually get it anyway (maybe in 20-30 yrs), but now he/we have a place to teach those grandsons Gun Safety!!!

Sooooooo, back in the hunt for a T-514, MK-514 or KMK-514!! (y)

Ted

·
Registered
12 Posts
You're a good dad! I bet that hurt, though not as much as it going where you would never see or shoot it again. And anyway, half the fun is in the hunt, right? :)

Reactions: Theo98

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're a good dad! I bet that hurt, though not as much as it going where you would never see or shoot it again. And anyway, half the fun is in the hunt, right? :)
Hello Mike and WELCOME to the RF! (y)

Thanks for the kind comment...this act being just a small part of being a "good dad"! ;)

IMO, agree the "Hunt" is Fun! Already replaced that KP-514 with a -birth-year- Ruger 1953 Standard! Overall, it's in great condition, but I do have some bluing TLC work to preserve it...this being also a lot of fun and satisfying work for Me!! :giggle:

Ted

IMG_7224.JPG

·
Registered
273 Posts
I bought my KMK514 about 25 years ago...paid $350 for it...a year later saw two at a gun [email protected] $180...No money! At least not that much! :sick: Oh well, I have my original one!(y)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I bought my KMK514 about 25 years ago...paid $350 for it...a year later saw two at a gun [email protected] $180...No money! At least not that much! :sick: Oh well, I have my original one!(y)
FB,

I've seen too many MkII KMK-514's going for 3X that much this past year at the On-line auction sites! If I Ever find one at a show going for that much less, I'll have it to match my very nice KMK-678!! :giggle:

Ted

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have that same pistol. I bought it a few years ago used hard as in never cleaned. It is a nice shooter with everything I have loaded it with. Comfortable grips too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts