Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At high noon I was on the range with my new beauty, the Ruger LC9. I launched a total of 70 various rounds down range with absolutely zero FTF's, FTE's, or stovepipes. Quite impressive for a brand-new out of the box compact 9mm pistol.

I used 7 different types of ammo just in case my LC9 proved to be finicky.

I was on the 7 yard pistol range using my favorite B-24 NRA targets. It was 75 degrees, sunny, and no wind. A beautiful day to shoot.

There were no issues with the LC9, it was all me. I'm happy I made it on the paper. The trigger pull is long, very long, which I am not used to. My pistol experience is with a Ruger P95, 1911, Sig Mosquito, and a Tokarev TTC. I read online that the trigger is like a revolver and needs a long, steady pull. With practice I'll become more consistent.

The sights are traditional white 3-dots which are easy to aim in the shade, but seem useless in bright light. The white on the sight dots seem to wash out in direct, overhead sunlight.

The grip, with only the flat plates installed, was enough for my hefty 8-1/2 sized hand. The LC9 comes with pinky plates for the magazine, but it felt odd during my dry firing exercises. After the 3rd reload I did notice some stinging and redness at my inner mid-palm towards the pinky finger. I was expecting a bit of pain with such a small pistol and started using a shooting glove. Big mistake. Since the trigger needs to fully reset after each shot, the extra thickness of the glove proved problematic. The LC9 is definitely not a range or plinking pistol. After 70 rounds I noticed small bruising from the grip checkering. I didn't realize that I had a death grip on my LC9.

The LC9 does have a louder bark compared to my Ruger P95, and a more pronounced muzzle flip. Shooting an LC9 proficiently is going to take extended practice sessions, something I was prepared to do when buying such a small pistol. The mechanics of the LC9 were flawless. She went bang every time and wanted more.

AMMO (14 rounds):

Target #1: Aguila 115gr FMJ
Target #2: Federal 98gr FHT
Target #3: Federal 115gr JHP
Target #4: Ranger 147gr Bonded JHP
Target #5: Mixed Ammo

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
The LC9 is a great little weapon. A lot of people cry and whine about the long trigger pull. I did install the Galloway hammer but the trigger was fine (for a carry gun) as is.
I would not want this trigger on my everyday shooter but for your carry gun it works, and if your worried about the pull throwing your aim off and can't hit a 12inch target from 10 to 15 feet, you need to learn to shoot better. I know Ruger had some problems with the sights walking out on some, but most are just fine.
Glad you like your new LC9 , I think it's as good or better than most higher priced carry guns.
Good Luck and Be Safe

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put a Hogue pull on grip on my LC9. It makes it a lot less painful to shoot a lot of rounds.

I agree on the mag extensions. With them on, it felt like my fingers were getting forced into that space. Without them I could drop my pinky and get a good grip with my other two fingers.

Try shooting it with the knuckle of your finger instead of the pad. It seems easier to keep it aimed that way.

·
JarheadLifer
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I put a Hogue pull on grip on my LC9. It makes it a lot less painful to shoot a lot of rounds.

I agree on the mag extensions. With them on, it felt like my fingers were getting forced into that space. Without them I could drop my pinky and get a good grip with my other two fingers.

Try shooting it with the knuckle of your finger instead of the pad. It seems easier to keep it aimed that way.
Thanks for the tips. I have a Hogue Jr. grip enroute.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts