Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Let me start by saying I apologize for not having video or pictures. We were sharing range time and lanes so everyone wanted a decent amount of time to get familiar with their firearm as none of us have never shot our current firearms.

Me: LC9s Pro, Friend 1: Glock 42, Friend 2: Beretta Nano, Friend 3: Trying Our Handguns/Undecided on buying an M&P Shield in 9mm.

The targets were set at 7 yards.

Beretta Nano - This gun is very top heavy which helped with muzzle flip a bit. The trigger pull is kinda long but nothing like the hammer fired LC9. Reset length is damn near perfect in comparison to the total length of trigger. The frame is a little bit wide for my liking but I have small hands. My shots were hitting the target a little low. Could be me, could be the sights, who knows. I only shot one magazine so this is the little bit of info I can provide.

Glock 42 - Feels real nice in my hand but it also had Talon grips installed which helped. The trigger is nice. What you would expect from a Glock. I was more accurate with it than I expected. However, it was like a bar of soap. The tighter I grabbed it while shooting, the more it felt like it wanted to jump out my hand. Probably would have been worse if it didn't have the Talon grips. My shots were a little left with this gun. I wasn't the only one shooting a little left with it either, we all did.

Ruger LC9s PRO - What a difference this striker fired pistol is when compared to the hammer fired LC9. Night and day is an understatement. The very first round actually caught me by surprise as I forgot how soon the trigger was going to break. The trigger is lovely. The pull weight couldn't be anymore perfect in my opinion. Reset is still a tad bit long but it's not too long for me to be unhappy with it. My groups were tighter than what I could do with my old LC9 and follow up shots were easier to stay on target with. Like the Glock 42, my shots were going slightly left but no one else had this problem but me.

Overall, everyone shot the LC9s the best with the Glock 42 coming in a close second. The Beretta Nano is still a good pistol and groups were still tight, just not as tight. You could put the Nano group size on the average person's chest size and still be very happy with the outcome. The worst part is that our friend, who is still undecided on what he wants to purchase, shot all our guns better than we did lol.

I didn't pay attention to what ammo was being used in the other guns but I brought a mixture of ammo to see if I would have any issues with a certain brand. I shot Winchester White Box, Federal, and TulAmmo Brass Max. All fed with zero issues. I have some Remington UMC and some MagTech ammo that I will try next. My other LC9 had no issues with Remington or MagTech so I would hope this PRO will have no issues with it either. My SD ammo I carry with is DRT Frangible Rounds and I didn't get a chance to shoot these but I will soon so I can be sure I have no cycling issues with it.

·
Righteous Dude
21,487 Posts
That sounds like a fun time out with some buddies. The pistols sound like winners, too. I'm happy to hear that the Ruger had the edge. The new iteration seems like a real winner.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I've fired virtualy all the different caliber Glocks sold in the US and just wasn't impressed......however, I actually liked the 42.

Did I really say that? :eek: I must have a fever.....

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
I've fired virtualy all the different caliber Glocks sold in the US and just wasn't impressed......however, I actually liked the 42.

I actually like the feel of the Glock 42. Unfortunately, when they had "Glock Day" at a local range, the 42 was completely unreliable. I had 5 or 6 Fail to Eject & Fail to Feed out of 18 rounds. The other guy I saw shooting it had about the same level of failure in his attempts. When the range officer tried to doubt us, he got a bag of the same .380 ammo and had 2 failures in 6 rounds. (I guess he needs to work on his grip and stop limp-wristing like the untrained peasants). I'm sure someday I'll shoot one that works and decide to buy one.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a fun time out with some buddies. The pistols sound like winners, too. I'm happy to hear that the Ruger had the edge. The new iteration seems like a real winner.
It was a good time, especially since we were all shooting these firearms for the first time. Was interesting to see all our first impressions of our new babies lol. However, we usually don't go to ranges to shoot. We have a friend who owns property that we shoot on but it was too cold to shoot outdoors and none of us could wait till next weekend lol. Plus, I hate paying to shoot. Especially when there's a time limit. I like to inspect my firearms and brass while shooting so I can make sure nothing wrong is going on.

Honestly, I like Glocks. I probably would have gotten a Glock 26 if my hands were a little bigger. For some reason, they just don't fit my hands well. The SR9c feels great so that may be my next handgun :)

I actually like the feel of the Glock 42. Unfortunately, when they had "Glock Day" at a local range, the 42 was completely unreliable. I had 5 or 6 Fail to Eject & Fail to Feed out of 18 rounds. The other guy I saw shooting it had about the same level of failure in his attempts. When the range officer tried to doubt us, he got a bag of the same .380 ammo and had 2 failures in 6 rounds. (I guess he needs to work on his grip and stop limp-wristing like the untrained peasants). I'm sure someday I'll shoot one that works and decide to buy one.
If I experienced that, I wouldn't trust my life with it either...

·
Registered
4,247 Posts
If I experienced that, I wouldn't trust my life with it either...
Especially since last year I shot about the same number of rounds through one of the few semi-reliable Remington R-51 pistols.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I think most of the guns you mentioned are excellent but I wished that the Glock 42 was in 9mm instead. Probably if I were to buy one it would be the Nano.

The longer trigger pull and high bore axis of the Nano would make revolver guys more comfortable.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Don't count out the Shield without shooting it, great gun! Need more bang? Get the .40
If my hands were a little bigger and I already didn't have extra magazines from when I bought my first LC9 a couple years ago, I would have ended up with the Shield :)

More "bang" from the .40? With modern day Hollow Points, ballistics from the most common carry rounds (9mm, .40, and .45) are damn near identical...

·
Registered
458 Posts
More "bang" from the .40? With modern day Hollow Points, ballistics from the most common carry rounds (9mm, .40, and .45) are damn near identical...[/QUOTE]

Not disrespecting the stoping power of the 9mm its my favorite carry caliber, heck my Shield is in 9mm. My point was that it is the only one from the ones you mentioned available in .40
And while 9mm and .380 have improved ballistics they still don't match the .40

Regardless of how powerful any round is shot placement is key, so I'd rather hand my wife my 22mag over a .357 because I know that with the 22mag wheel gun she can hit a dime 15ft away, with the .357 she anticipates the recoil too much and can't hit the side of a barn..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not disrespecting the stoping power of the 9mm its my favorite carry caliber, heck my Shield is in 9mm. My point was that it is the only one from the ones you mentioned available in .40
And while 9mm and .380 have improved ballistics they still don't match the .40

Regardless of how powerful any round is shot placement is key, so I'd rather hand my wife my 22mag over a .357 because I know that with the 22mag wheel gun she can hit a dime 15ft away, with the .357 she anticipates the recoil too much and can't hit the side of a barn..
:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts